These Clouds Looked Better in Person

drstawl

Banned
TaftClouds_F285_zpsnifyzlna.jpg

What is the problem other than the cheapo Point and Shoot camera?

What is the problem other than the cheapo Point and Shoot camera?

Composition for one. The chain-link fence is a distraction to the shot. You should have stepped closer to the roadway to get it out of the frame.

Next: Exposure and lack of dynamic range. Try processing it as an HDR to flesh out more detail. That will also help to make the clouds pop more.

Cheers! :)

Composition for one. The chain-link fence is a distraction to the shot. You should have stepped closer to the roadway to get it out of the frame.

Next: Exposure and lack of dynamic range. Try processing it as an HDR to flesh out more detail. That will also help to make the clouds pop more.

Serious question. Wouldn't a smaller aperture f-stop help? It's been a long time since I did my photography exams...?

Serious question. Wouldn't a smaller aperture f-stop help? It's been a long time since I did my photography exams...?

There's decent depth of field/focus already, so stopping down the lens further would only slow the exposure down. Point and shoot cameras rarely allow you do that though, any way.

I don't know diddly-squat about photography, but I agree with Ghost about the fence.

And Ghost, that is an awesome shot. Seriously well done. :cool:

---------- Update ----------

Which city is that?

I'm always trying to take shots with my phone, because the only times I'm out where I see something I want to shoot, I'm walking the dog, and that situation doesn't exactly make it easy to hold a real camera, let alone set up a shot.

Toronto's the only place I've ever been to in Canada. I couldn't tell you where in Toronto it was, though, and it's been over 30 years.

I really, really liked it when I was there. so much so that I actually had the thought in the back of my mind that I'd kind of like to move there in the near future.

That near future has come and gone, and now my hands are pretty much tied. That's because I kept picking the locks on the handcuffs.

There's decent depth of field/focus already, so stopping down the lens further would only slow the exposure down. Point and shoot cameras rarely allow you do that though, any way.

There see.. Shows what I know. I have my phone camera and my Nikon DSLR and never owned a point and shoot thingy. I think I still have my old developing tanks and an enlarger in the outhouse somewhere... Ansel Adams was big then...:)

Try processing it as an HDR to flesh out more detail.
HDR processing helps, but HDR is best used when working with was 3 bracketed exposures. It's difficult to accomplish much HDR post processing with only a single exposure.

Here is my lame attempt at making things pop out a bit more.

TaftClouds%20HDR_zpsae9suizj.jpg

All these comments and suggestions, thanks to all- really; it points me to the reality of a really crappy camera. Bad optics or bad sensor or both. It does write to a larger footprint than the Powershot A550, which it was meant to replace, but they downgraded the quality of the system overall relative to that model while upping the image filesize and write speed to deal with that. Plus the interface to select the "options" sucks as badly as the results applied to the photos! It does have some upsides, like its slim size and decent battery and memory interface, but they shorted the quality lower than the A550 which is pretty Spartan to begin with.

I guess I could have done worse by paying about $100 too much for a camera that can do this:

CZYumm_F285_3_zpsr8y0g4se.jpg

while having the capability to make phone calls. ;)

This is what I'm currently shooting with:

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : PowerShot G1 X

The basic goodies on this deluxe point and shoot is that it can be run full manual like a DSLR camera and has a sensor which matches in size with Canon's DSLR bodies. It is a bit chunkier in size than your A550 but way smaller then a normal DSLR rig. The newer version of it called the Mk II is even smaller still but lacks an optical viewfinder.

Well worth the money, IMHO.

Here's a shot taken with it from a shooting gig I had back in the fall of last year...

IMG_1061 small branded.jpg

Back