TheRecordingRebels.com

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
Hi all,

As you know I don't post here much anymore. Myself and a bunch of others that used to mainly post in The Tone Thread have started our own forum called The Recording Rebels.

So, if you miss the input of knowledgeable users like Greg_L, Bubba Po, Armistice and Lt. Bob etc pop over and say hello.

Cheers,

JD

Be mindful to patch whenever there's new ones available, phpBB is notoriously hack-able. After a few years I ended up having to turn off registration altogether and then months after that got brute force hacked (eventually the software vulnerability was resolved in a patch).

While expensive, bulletin board software like vBulletin are worth the cost if downtime (to restore backups) is a concern. vBulletin is almost cost prohibitive now for smaller sites, but there are a few other bbs options available since I was last doing admin stuff.

Good luck, I miss their knowledge. :)

Fwiw, I recalled there was another hr.com spawned forum... and I found it in my favorites:

The Recording Project :: Recording Forums Index

Hopefully you'll have better luck, it seems to be getting under utilized.

Good advice on phpbb Pinky..Vbulletin is the 800 pound gorilla of Forum software but is getting pricey....What kind of Forum do you host? A friend of mine uses Snitz (free) for a small health forum and doesn't do much other than just let it run and never really had an issue over the last 15 years...

That all depends on whether or not it's a strictly on-topic kind of place, or if it's just a different location where the Beast has been unleashed to devolve into cyber-bullying and seeing who can be the biggest asshole.

Beast has been unleashed to devolve into cyber-bullying and seeing who can be the biggest asshole.

That doesn't appear to be the case. We just want to learn from eachother to create the best recordings we can in a home or semi-home environment. The forum has been started by people who spend a lot of their time either recording or playing live (or both) - not as a place for people who do neither with any regularity to just cock about.

Well, as you should know by now, someone can play and record a lot, and actually be quite knowledgeable about both, yet still enjoy constantly demonstrating their assholiness.

Oh well, good luck with your venture. And kiss the ground of the homeland for me.

Well, as you should know by now, someone can play and record a lot, and actually be quite knowledgeable about both, yet still enjoy constantly demonstrating their assholiness.

haha, this is true... but I haven't noticed any of it over there yet.

I noticed the phpBB software also. No thanks.

But glad to hear your tone thread has a new home. Enjoy. :)

Good advice on phpbb Pinky..Vbulletin is the 800 pound gorilla of Forum software but is getting pricey....What kind of Forum do you host?

Nothing anymore, the last phpBB forum experience (small private forum, thankfully) was the last straw. When I used vBulletin I got enough advertising revenue to pay for it. That hiking/outdoors forum has long since been sold and traded hands a few times since. I've dabbled in other things that never took root.

While spambots were a problem with vBulletin, and I tried several solutions available then to mitigate their impact, at least it was never taken down due to a software vulnerability. You get what you pay for in bbs software.

This all seems needlessly factional to me.

Not when you consider that two of the main recording protagonists and tone thread contributors are banned from here. There's not much of an alternative. Not to mention the fact that I feel I'm riding my luck even posting here most times.

Not when you consider that two of the main recording protagonists and tone thread contributors are banned from here. There's not much of an alternative. Not to mention the fact that I feel I'm riding my luck even posting here most times.

Yeah I hear ya. I am not a fan of walking on eggshells or people getting banned.

Guitarists will have that need to enter the Tone sinkhole. The little bit of exposure I had to it on RR seemed pretty meaningless and clips were nothing to write home about. Still, it can help guitarists get something to tape. I have no problem with that.

For myself, it(tone) just has to make me happy - as opposed to some think tank guidance expression. None of them seemed to be playing a $100 solid state Kustom amp ? hahaha

That doesn't appear to be the case. We just want to learn from eachother to create the best recordings we can in a home or semi-home environment. The forum has been started by people who spend a lot of their time either recording or playing live (or both) - not as a place for people who do neither with any regularity to just cock about.

I've mixed hundreds of live shows and thousands of acts, and I spend several nights a week being paid to record and mix. What you imply is a gross misrepresentation.

Don't most of you guys belong to more than one audio BBS on the interwebs...?
That's the nice thing about the web...you can surf. :cool:

It's not a life-or-death, us-or-them kind of decision. :D

I've mixed hundreds of live shows and thousands of acts, and I spend several nights a week being paid to record and mix. What you imply is a gross misrepresentation.

I think he was implying that the forum is populated by people who do record/mix/perform, rather than guys just shooting the shit.

I've not noticed any problems with phpBB as a user but if you think there's anything in particular I should be aware of, enlighten me.

I looked at using it 3 or 4 years ago and it allowed anyone to view users' email addresses and other info not normally made available to the public. Maybe that has changed, but I still don't trust it. Google searches show there are still security risks with it.

Glad it's working for you. Hopefully, you won't have problems with it.

Back