Talk Radio You Like

Pub Style

You Are The Walrus
There's more than music to our lives, right?

I have about 210 G's of talk radio in a folder that I have backed up many times over. Sometimes music isn't what I'm wanting while I'm doing things around the house. In my radio folder you would find four sub folders that might have you rolling your eyes.. or not.

First is my classic Art Bell library that makes up for 110 gigabytes of my overall library. I loved that show when it was in it's prime back in the 90's. I have about 1600 shows in total. (that's almost the motherload) I'm a few hundred short but most collectors would be envious.

Second is my 2006, 2007, and 2008 complete years of the Stern show on Sirius radio. I'm not a fan of Howards views on many things but I find those years pretty funny because of the comedic bit's and staff fights that pop up from time to time. I can't stand his interviews and his A-list ass kissing in the last decade so I no longer listen to anything other than what I have in that folder.

Third, is Caravan to Midnight W. your host John B. Wells at the helm. ..you can youtube that show if you like. I agree with much of what he says. And he's funny too.

Last is my Jay Thomas Show folder. He's an actor/radio personality that also has a show on Sirius. It kind of sucks now but I'm glad that I have about 365 shows from his best years before 2016.

I can't listen to political radio because I get all fired up ETC.

Last edited:
If I were more into all the apps out there for streaming podcasts, I'd be more likely to have neat answers. I really enjoy talk radio, and it's what sees the most play in my car (aside from mix checks from me or other HR members). Usually, it's WWJ NewsRadio 950 - AM news, brought to you by CBS. Otherwise, it's 97.1 sports talk. There are a few programs on that station that branch out into politics, hot news topics, and other things, but probably 75% sports. This is in the Detroit area.

Not a Stern fan in that I'd listen to every show, but I have searched out some of this stuff. Most recently, I found out he tried calling the hospital Kurt Cobain was in when he overdosed in March of 93' in Rome. Though in poor taste, as everything he does is, I did think it was kinda funny. I lol'd a few times. :) I liked it for more of a nostalgia thing, and to think that he was around way back then, when neervana was still a thing, and I wondered if he had any idea ppl would be listening to that segment 24 years later.

In England, BBC Radio 4 and anywhere else in the world, the BBC World Service. Both well worth listening to.

In England, BBC Radio 4 and anywhere else in the world, the BBC World Service. Both well worth listening to.

I don't really listen to talk radio, b ut if I did, this and NPR would be about it. Can't stand Stern. I used to listen to local guys Bob and Tom (they're syndicated now, so you may have heard them) back when they started here in the early '80s. They were actually funny then, and radio rebels. Then they got a shitload of money and became Republicans. Can't stand them now.

I find that liberals lies come in more soothing tones than conservative lies so I tend to listen to CPR (Colorado Public Radio) which carries NPR, BBC etc. Ultimately it's just noise, literally and figuratively.

I also sometimes listen to my police scanner. There aren't trunked systems around here and I know all the lingo. I get specific and timely info on traffic problems, and it gives me some very concrete reasons to respect emergency responders en route to a scene.

I download Mark Maron's podcasts. They are long form interviews that are very compelling. There are 700 of 5hem and they are at least an hour long.

I find that liberals lies come in more soothing tones than conservative lies so I tend to listen to CPR (Colorado Public Radio) which carries NPR, BBC etc. Ultimately it's just noise, literally and figuratively.

OK, trying not to get political here (which is hard to do when the subject is talk radio), but just gotta ask - so when NPR is reporting from some war-torn third world country, or gang-controlled inner city projects, you think they're lying about what they see?

---------- Update ----------

I download Mark Maron's podcasts. They are long form interviews that are very compelling. There are 700 of 5hem and they are at least an hour long.

I keep meaning to listen to him.

I used to listen to howard stern a lot, but don't have satellite radio anymore. I used to listen to him in the 80s and that was some funny shit. I heard the broadcast where he got fired. Went into the manager's office. I thought it was all part of the show....

Now I don't listen to any radio at all.

There's more than music to our lives, right?

I have about 210 G's of talk radio in a folder that I have backed up many times over. Sometimes music isn't what I'm wanting while I'm doing things around the house. In my radio folder you would find four sub folders that might have you rolling your eyes.. or not.

First is my classic Art Bell library that makes up for 110 gigabytes of my overall library. I loved that show when it was in it's prime back in the 90's. I have about 1600 shows in total. (that's almost the motherload) I'm a few hundred short but most collectors would be envious.

Second is my 2006, 2007, and 2008 complete years of the Stern show on Sirius radio. I'm not a fan of Howards views on many things but I find those years pretty funny because of the comedic bit's and staff fights that pop up from time to time. I can't stand his interviews and his A-list ass kissing in the last decade so I no longer listen to anything other than what I have in that folder.

Third, is Caravan to Midnight W. your host John B. Wells at the helm. ..you can youtube that show if you like. I agree with much of what he says. And he's funny too.

Last is my Jay Thomas Show folder. He's an actor/radio personality that also has a show on Sirius. It kind of sucks now but I'm glad that I have about 365 shows from his best years before 2016.

I can't listen to political radio because I get all fired up ETC.
Look for some archived Phil Hendrie shows. The funniest shit you'll ever hear by far. Youtube it.

OK, trying not to get political here (which is hard to do when the subject is talk radio), but just gotta ask - so when NPR is reporting from some war-torn third world country, or gang-controlled inner city projects, you think they're lying about what they see?

No, but any given news source has an agenda and a bias, and they all selectively leave stuff out. It's not necessarily malicious or even intentional, it's just human nature to filter things down to what seems important. Criticism of a conservative politician or idea carries more weight if it comes from a known conservative news source. From a liberal news source it's just business as usual. So while I enjoy the soothing voices and much of the programming on NPR, I try to keep skepticism alive.

No, but any given news source has an agenda and a bias, and they all selectively leave stuff out. It's not necessarily malicious or even intentional, it's just human nature to filter things down to what seems important. Criticism of a conservative politician or idea carries more weight if it comes from a known conservative news source. From a liberal news source it's just business as usual. So while I enjoy the soothing voices and much of the programming on NPR, I try to keep skepticism alive.

Well put, and skepticism is a healthy thing IMHO.

I listent to Sam Harris. He recently had Gary Kasparov on. It was an interesting perspective. The Anne Applebaum episode is interesting too.

Joe Rogan has some interesting guests sometimes. His discussion with Jordan Peterson was super interesting. I don't agree with Peterson on much, but it was interesting anyway. 3 hours long. Highly recommend.

You might like Dave Rubin then. He's on Youtube. He's probably to the right of where you are, but is quite reasonable and has interesting discussions with people from various points on the spectrum.

OP: Art Bell, now that's a blast from the past! I enjoyed his Coast to Coast show in the 90s. The paranormal stuff was much hooey, as I suspect he would have admitted. But fun nonetheless.

I used to listen to local guys Bob and Tom (they're syndicated now, so you may have heard them) back when they started here in the early '80s. They were actually funny then, and radio rebels. Then they got a shitload of money and became Republicans. Can't stand them now.
Your personal politics aside, I remember listening to Bob and Tom on AM radio in 1995 for a few months and then the local radio AM station dumped the program. Steve Sagle provided the voice impersonations of many prominent people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU3u6vta-Vw

"Your cigar was wrapped with a gold band saying "Congratulations, it's an intern."

:D

I listen to NPR and Rush Limbaugh everyday for 15 minutes each every week day. The biases I hear cancel each other out perfectly and then I just go about living my own life.

Car Talk is (was :() a riot, Tom and Ray, aka Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers. I used to love listening Saturday mornings.

Caller: "I host trail rides, and use the truck to transport my mules to the top of the mountain."

Tom: "Wait...wait a second. So you say you're hauling ass?...bwahahaha"

Good times. I love that guy's laugh. RIP Tom Magliozzi.

When I can catch it, I also like listening to that angry guy. Boy, is that guy ever pissed off. Michael Savage, that's it. He's very educated, one of them PhD dudes. So, most of the ignorant people who don't like him hate science and education. Haters. His political philosophy can be summed as the preservation of "Language, borders, culture". It's hard to argue with that. YMMV

Is A Prairie Home Companion considered "talk radio"? That's a pretty good show to listen to on weekends while setting up and grilling outdoors.

Car Talk is (was :() a riot, Tom and Ray, aka Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers. I used to love listening Saturday mornings.

Caller: "I host trail rides, and use the truck to transport my mules to the top of the mountain."

Tom: "Wait...wait a second. So you say you're hauling ass?...bwahahaha"

Good times. I love that guy's laugh. RIP Tom Magliozzi.

+1

Don't be like my brother.

Didn't Chris Harris work for their law firm, Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe? :D

And no, PHC doesn't count as talk radio.

Don't even. How could you (we) possibly go there w/o getting political!

Back