Sylvia's mother

TAE

All you have is now
So I have been going to this new Chinese fast food restaurant in town that absolutely rocks...

Family owned Ma n Pop in the back and their 30 something daughter out front...her name is Sylvia... She is a crack up total Young American Los Angelesian...damn funny n cool..

Anyway I was BS'ing with her and asked if she'd ever heard the song Sylvia's mother... Nope..

You know the song "Cover of the rolling stone?" Yeah

Same band sang Sylvia's mother ...it's an awesome song you should check it out...

Tried to get her to remember Dr. Hook and the Medicine show but nope..

So I'm bringing her this youtube link next time I go in for das Chinese food...

Damn this is a fine ass song...

I divorced my first wife over this song. I should have known it wasn't going to work when her favourite band was Dr Hook, followed by Meatloaf. :facepalm:

Alan.

Damn, TAE, that one hit home for some reason. Good stuff!

I gotta get me an eyepatch and some bell bottom jeans now. :D

The only reason I listened to that song was I knew Dr. Hook didn't take themselves too serious. They are a bunch of very talented guys and while this is a very cheesy song, they do it so well. One just has to smile when listening to it.

I saw them, opening for Emerson Lake and Palmer at the Music Hall in Boston - 1973 maybe? 'Cover of the RS' hadn't come out yet, just the first album with Sylvia's Mother. Not surprising a 30-something didn't know it - it's 43+ years old!

Well bruthas based upon the diverse reactions and emotions to this tune I have concluded that I shall break out my Moses Sanders personna sit down to the piany with harmonica in hand and cover this bad boy like it has never been covered... That's right..you heard here first Moses Sanders is coming out of the desert of within my mind and laying it down like a klazy klown

I love Dr Hook. Well, I loved them before they slicked up their sound to do disco. When Shel Silverson was writing the tunes for them it was a match made in Heaven and was some great music.
"Freakin' at the freakers ball" was classic.
"Carry me Carrie" was classic
"I've got a couple more years on you".."Alcopulco Goldie"..."I got stoned and I missed it"..."on the way to the bottom"..."Cookie and Liola"...."Cover of the rolling stone"...."Queen of the Silver Dolla"r...

Shit, such good material and I don't know any group of guys who could have done more justice to those classic Shel Silverson tunes than Dr Hook!

Back