Supermoon

inkline

Took some shots of the moon last night, turned out rather nice. Thought I'd show this around. :)

pipp_20171205_000443_lapl4_ap347_conv-BC2-RT.jpg

Cool!

(I had to look up what stacking was, just out of interest.)

The edge looks kind of artificial. And are those huge lines surrounding what look like craters real features?

Nice photo. First time I've actually bothered to pay interest to one.

That's all real. The post processing I did was almost entirely lighting and sharpening filters to emphasize the details.

The glass I used wasn't a professionally sharp one, if I had, there'd be far more fine detail.

Here's a bit of interesting triva -- the craters on the moon are called seas on moon maps, though all they are is full of dust.

I'm just beginning with stacking, but I can see I'll get a lot of use out of it, the before and after results are quite worth it. Hope to get some deep space objects like spiral galaxies in the future to turn out.

I'm talking about the actual craters -- the light spots, not the dark bits (seas). The craters have all these crazy lines extending from them!

This is what the best and sharpest shot was before any post processing such as stacking or fixing of the brightness, contrast and sharpness:

00_DSC04105_quality_100p-RA2-EXAMPLE.jpg

As you can see there's a bluish tinge on the upper left, that'd be chromatic aberration from the lens which is fixed by making the image black and white.

The lines are still there! As to what they are.. well..

Yes that's one explanation I've read. :) I suppose the lower gravity and the lunar dust being so lightweight could be enough for it to be that. There's also what is a less popular idea as far as I can tell that there were once volcanoes there. I don't know if there are other explanations, I'd guess there might be, I'm just starting out with this hobby.

Haha, thanks buddy! I had a lot of fun with the work for it!

Though more careful with the language please!

Nice pictures.

Wonder why we or anybody have not been back there? Space station, sporting events complex or music venue, just a place to get away and give the wife a break from farts and snores?

Looks lonely.

Since the Moon always faces the same way to the Earth (plus a small wobble)...

If you were to give the time stamp of when you took the photo, some clever person should be able to work out where the Moon was in the sky from the orientation of the markings.

Took some shots of the moon last night, turned out rather nice. Thought I'd show this around. :)

View attachment 101285

Since the Moon always faces the same way to the Earth (plus a small wobble)...

If you were to give the time stamp of when you took the photo, some clever person should be able to work out where the Moon was in the sky from the orientation of the markings.

Not to go too far out there(harhar), or tl;dr...

That spacey guy, deGrasse Tyson, or whatever, he was bugged out while watching the movie Titanic. According to the date the Titanic went down, the stars in the night sky as depicted in the movie were inaccurate. He contacted the director, James Cameron, several times, causing a slight stink and to tell him he had messed up. If I recall correctly he nevr got a response. Years later on the anniversary of the movie, or the sinking, there was a special showing of the film, to which Tyson received an invitation to attend. Cut to the chase, by golly the director had went and corrected the stars in the sky to what they would have been on the night of the sinking.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting story, as told by that spacey dude, deGrasse Tyson, or whatever.

Back