SSD`s might lose their data if left off for as little as seven 7 days ...

cakewalkKaKed

HOORAY FOR BOOBIES !!!
just read this over at studio one expert and i know some of you here are using SSD`s so i nicked it and posted it here ... backup and be safe ... just in case :)

Our friends over at Pro Tools Expert covered an article recently released by the International Business Times that states that Solid State Drives (SSDs) might lose their data if left off for as little as seven (7) days. The IBT’s report is based on a presentation given my Seagate’s Alvin Cox (who is the Chairman of the Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) regarding standards for SSDs.
The IBT’s report states "The standards body for the microelectronics industry has found that Solid State Drives (SSD) can start to lose their data and become corrupted if they are left without power for as little as a week."
People have started using SSDs to store critical data as these drives have become cheaper and cheaper, but this report may now make people rethink that. In fact, the PTE team suggests that, to be safe “…make sure that any critical data is backed up to mechanical hard drives.”

WARNING: Be Wary of Storing Your Critical Data On an SSD — Studio One Expert

Hum, I am surprised this pops up now. This should have been known at design time on how long these drives could maintain storage without power. I think I will investigate a little more. Backups are always good, so that is not the issue.

Thanks for the heads up.

OK, after posting, did a quick search, here is the reference: Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days | ZDNet ZD has been around a long time and I trust this source.

It really is about temperatures and storage and device types. You can read the article, but I wouldn't soil my pants just yet.

Last edited:
I am going to go ahead and call BS on this. I have a solid state 2GB thumb drive i have songs backed up on and it has been sitting 4 years and it worked fine a month or two ago when i moved all the data to my new computer. I am sure SSD Technology has come a long long way since the days of 2GB thumb drives.

It stands to reason that if you are unable to restore power for a week, you've got more pressing concerns than your SSD performance.

Back