Sound City...the movie

TAE

All you have is now
I posted this in another thread but felt it merited reposting here...Maybe this has been posted and discussed previously but I don't remember ever hearing about it...then again I am frickin really starting to feel the effects of CRS ( can't remember shit!)

I just stumbled upon a "recording" movie that I think may very well be one of the best I have ever seen...now I'm still high on emotion as I write this and I haven't finished watching yet....It's called Sound City , it was produced by Dave Grohl and it's about a studio of the same name here in So Cal that was / I guess still is a mere 40+ miles from my shack. I probably had heard of it but was oblivious to what it was or what was happening there...:cursing:

This is where Fleetwood Mac came to hook up with Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham...Where Nirvana recorded the Never mind album, Neil young, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, Foreigner hell even Barry Frickin Manilow! They go over the magic of this shoddy looking studio and the magical Neve console therein where you could get a sound you couldn't get anywhere else...pretty awesome peek into the recording process of some super groups in a very cool studio....

I encourage anyone interested in recording to watch this movie and listen for the nuggets...You'll walk away inspired to capture lightening and put it in a bottle.

[video]http://www.documentarytube.com/videos/dave-grohl-the-sound-city-studios[/video]

Last edited:
Yeah, very cool and interesting doc. Been a while since I saw it. Not to be a spoiler for those who haven't seen it....Didn't Dave Grohl end up purchasing and repairing/updating that console for his own studio?

Think i'll put that on my list as a re-watch.

I have had a copy since it was released, watched it about 3 times, but have lent it too many friends that are not musicians but that just like music, and they all found it fascinating.

Alan.

YDidn't Dave Grohl end up purchasing and repairing/updating that console for his own studio?

I want to say it was the board used on Wasting Light. [just checked and I don't think it was the Neve, he obtained that after Wasting Light, but he did use some Neve preamps]

I watched Sound City and kinda felt like it plodded along a bit too much [not enough material for a full length documentary]. If you want a IMO 'better' view into the music / producing biz, I thought Soundbreaking was much more in depth. It even covered a bit of the Sound City musical landscape, as well as much much more. Sound City covered what was the equivalent to a moment in rock music's history, regardless of how important that moment is/was.

Last edited:
LTROIDH

Link to recording or it didn't happen :cool:

It was a demo before the record when we were auditioning producers. Oddly enough Kenny Aronoff overly-produced those four songs. Cool dude but not the right guy. Or maybe he was. lol.

Back