Sonic Highways / Dave Grohl / Foo Fighters HBO documentary

TAE

All you have is now
I guess Dave did this documentary last year visiting various music Meca's like Nashville, Chicago , New Orleans etc...interviewing jamming with a lot of great musicians....On a flight home today a saw the Nashville segment...Zack Brown is a bad ass singer / songwriter and musician.. The documentary was exceptionally cool on the the making of a song...learned a bit and saw some Willie Nelson clips I'd never seen before.

Here's the the trailer on HBO

Looking forward to watching all the series...

Last edited:
Greg did you watch any of the series?

I disagree that it is "another Dave Grohl ego piece"

Though Dave does jam a few times through the Nashville one, it's not an "all about me" Grohl love fest...he does a great job in the role of interviewer and commentator. It's a kick ass documentary series on the history of America's "music cities". The Nashville one ( the only one I've seen so far) was very informative, entertaining and from a songwriters perspective ...inspiring.

Here's a Rolling Stone article on the piece

Last edited:
So Dave found a love for filmmaking as well.....So what? No reason to bash him. He has many talents. And lord knows some of us would LOVE to be at a place in our careers and/or hobby that he is at. People love to be critics of those that have achieved success.

I just did more thread sculpting on a whole bunch of posts that were going nowhere. Sorry about that. No, that's a lie. I'm not sorry.

I just did more thread sculpting on a whole bunch of posts that were going nowhere. Sorry about that. No, that's a lie. I'm not sorry.

A true artist gecko! Good work! The thread was beginning to take on a musty smell reminiscent of a dark dingy cave. :D

The documentary is sincerely an excellent piece for musician / homerecorder types to watch and learn from. The insight and history into how the music machine works is truly a unique peek inside.

The documentary is sincerely an excellent piece for musician / homerecorder types to watch and learn from. The insight and history into how the music machine works is truly a unique peek inside.

Almost any documentary covering recording studio stuff is good for other recordists to watch. It's nice to see successful artists going through the same stuff we all do when recording.

At least in the Nashville segment ...there's not all that much you'll learn about recording but rather the history of Nashville music, recording and the stars that came from there, the roads they traveled to get "there" was cool... Zac's studio is VERY cool with a ton of history. Willie Nelson all white collared conservative...Dolly telling her story...bad ass show..

Almost any documentary covering recording studio stuff is good for other recordists to watch. It's nice to see successful artists going through the same stuff we all do when recording.

I love watching anything about recording/studio stuff...even if it's with some artists I'm not particularly a fan of, as long as the "info" in the documentary is good...and no matter if it's about the old Motown days or something more current.

Not a major Dave Grohl/FF fan...but their stuff is good, and while Dave tries to come off a bit too humble at times, which has almost the opposite effect...he's not a total ego manic...at least not in the previous stuff I've seen, like the Sound City documentary...or some of the FF stuff.
Shit...I've seen stuff about Phil Spector (the ultimate studio egomaniac) and it was still fun/interesting to watch. :D

Anyway...I don't do HBO...but I'm sure it will eventually find it's way to some Dish Network channel where I can see it.

Its funny, but I hated Nirvana. When the Foo Fighters came out, I was....eh. Then I saw the acoustic version of Times Like These and that opened me up to the band a bit. They are still hit or miss for me. A couple of great songs mixed with stuff I am not so fond of.

However when Dave stared being accused of being an ego maniac, I started to pay more attention. I gotta say I admire the man, and he should be looked at as an inspiration rather than a target for attacks.

I mean look at what he has accomplished. look at where he has gone considering him being a high school drop out and self taught musician.

No one in this world gives you a damn thing and it's tough to get into a good spot.

No, I'm not a fanboy and nor do I put anyone on a pedestal. But I do admire people that achieve success.

Almost anyone can put together a soundcloud or reverb page, but very few get to tour the world, and get on HBO.
You gotta respect that. :p

I mean look at what he has accomplished. look at where he has gone considering him being a high school drop out and self taught musician.

No one in this world gives you a damn thing and it's tough to get into a good spot.

I feel like you could say this (or basically the same thing) about 90% of famous musicians though. I feel like Dave only "made it" after Nirvana because of Nirvana. Personally I find his stuff really boring. Fun to listen to to every once in a while, but the continuous chord-pounding gets old. Like damn, throw a guitar solo in there every once in a while lol.

I will say one thing I appreciate about Dave is the fact that he knows he's not the greatest guitarist. Like in this vid, he's just having a good time and kinda making fun of himself. I dig that.

Good points, guitarartistic.

With Dave. I am sure Nirvana had something to do with it. But in the grief surrounding Kurt's death. Dave could have easily folded up and just become another unknown drummer. Instead he chose to pick it up and go front man. Had it not been for the whole Nirvanna thing, the Foo Fighters may have never gotten anywhere, so some luck and timing was involved.

With drummers taking the center stage, I only know of two before Dave who have achieved major success. Don Henley and Phil Collins. There's probably more, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind.

Fun to listen to to every once in a while, but the continuous chord-pounding gets old.

Yeah....that's where I'm at with FF. They play with lots of energy and certainly tight as a band and all that...but it is mostly just endless chord pounding, which probably goes over well in a live concert situation, though musically it's not the kind of stuff I would listen to all day long.
It's no different that say...the Rap/HH shit. I could probably find tunes that I like...well done tracks, good beats, and not too obnoxious lyrics...but I'm talking a tune here and there. I can't understand how some people listen to that shit ALL DAY LONG...and then in their cars, non-stop.

It's like...up-tempo, driving music loses it's effect on me, and becomes boring after a few tunes. IOW...without dynamics, it actually loses it's punch and excitement for me.

Good points, guitarartistic.

Dave could have easily folded up and just become another unknown drummer. Instead he chose to pick it up and go front man.

Yeah...rising up from the Nirvana ashes to probably becoming bigger than Nirvana on many levels (though I'm sure the shoe-gazers would disagree :D)...it took some *ego*. You couldn't do that if you felt insecure.
Sure, sometimes you can be a wallflower with lots of talent and still succeed...but going balls-out and making it work for you deserves some respect, regardless of music tastes.

You know what bugs me a bit with Dave Grohl....listening to him talk. :p
I mean....just the way he talks...the "gahy" thing comes out in the tone of his voice. Not that there's anything wrong with "gay" (to each his own)....I'm just saying that he has a way of talking that gives it that stereotypical gay tone...if that makes any sense. The way he accents certain vowels/words...etc...like is that expected when you're gay?
You know what he sounds like....he sounds like a straight guy imitating how a gay guy would talk. :D

Dave Grohl and his Foo Fighters are Nickelback - keeping rock safe, sterile, and boring for mainstream america. There's nothing respectable about that.

Nirvana were awesome...a punk band that never should have been that famous. The foo fighters never did it for me. Ill watch the docu though.

Back