So like

I thought the "basket of deplorables" comment was a particular pivot point, not that it appears now it would have made a difference anyway. She meant backers, not voters/supporters, but that's not how it was taken. People don't like to be mocked.

I completely get the anger - I don't happen to agree that Trump is the person to resolve/cure the issues causing the anger. From afar he appears capable of only bluff and bluster, and that's his entire game. This was all about winning something, not actually about what he'd do afterwards.

Good luck with your choice.
We are thinking alike on this. I can bail on the good luck with my choice bit though. I didn't vote but I have been an amused observer.

I thought the "basket of deplorables" comment was a particular pivot point, not that it appears now it would have made a difference anyway. She meant backers, not voters/supporters, but that's not how it was taken. People don't like to be mocked.

It's ironic if that really did matter, considering the verbal vomit Trump was spewing on a regularly basis. Most of his supporters sloft that off. "That's Donny for ya!" Then suddenly get thin skinned, just like Trump on twitter, when any degree of snark gets aimed at them.

He has not proven he has the character, intelligence, or will to fill the role.

Character?
You can't use that word in the same sentence with Clinton....so don't go there. :)
AFA intelligence and the will to fill the role....ahhh...he just outsmarted her, and he IS going to fill the role.

I don't have a problem with anyone on the left being more in favor of Clinton than Trump...that's a given.
It's this high-brow, elitist perspective that somehow the left is without fault and their view of America's future trumps (see what I did there ;)) all others.

Trump has the same amount of ability to do the right thing that Clinton would have had or the wrong thing, same as Clinton would have had...same as Obama has had.
This talk of how much better Clinton would have been is just that...talk.

Trump has the same amount of ability to do the right thing that Clinton would have had or the wrong thing, same as Clinton would have had...same as Obama has had.
This talk of how much better Clinton would have been is just that...talk.

We'll circle back to this thread in a couple years and see how things have turned out.

Thanks for that. Was it volunteer work?

Thank you Chili. Yes and no on it being a voluntary position. The positions of election officers are filled by volunteers but we are paid for the work. The going rate in Kentucky is $160.00 for the day but as a precinct sheriff I get $170.00 because I have to use my cell phone to communicate with the county clerk's office throughout the day.

Im sure I dont have to say what side of the fence Im on...and I know we arent allowed politics in here. But this is one election cycle I really watched, and for the most part I felt pretty neutral.

For decades the big cities on both coasts have imposed their will, their culture, their societal norms, on rural America. They laughed at it, protrayed it as backwards in movies and popular culture, looked down on it, mocked its education and small town attitudes, this is the backlash...

Im sure I dont have to say what side of the fence Im on...and I know we arent allowed politics in here. But this is one election cycle I really watched, and for the most part I felt pretty neutral.

For decades the big cities on both coasts have imposed their will, their culture, their societal norms, on rural America. They laughed at it, protrayed it as backwards in movies and popular culture, looked down on it, mocked its education and small town attitudes, this is the backlash...
Nailed it. Well said.

Ok, ill jump in one more time. :)

My small city has a population of 10k. At the last city council budget meeting 4,000 dollars was reguested for credit card expenses. Upon furher query into what these expense were for, and it took a week and almost the amount of red taoe of a FOA request, it turned out to be lunches for city council members.

1 to 200 dollar lunch bills. Furthermore not even in the same city, where it could at least be giving back to the local economy. Not even in the same county.

So these officials get to eat well, in big major cities far removed from our city, on the taxpayer dime. (While conducting "city business")

These people make 100 to 200k a year, im an area where the average income is 50K A year.

You'd think they could buy their own damn lunches.

This is corruption and political "entitlement" on a small scale.

Now lets go big.
Govt officials rarely get started in office being millionares, or billionaires. Yet once in office, many end up millionares.

Something wrong with that.

There is so much corruption at the highest levels it can be mind boggling.

Government employee statistics have long surpassed manufacturing employees. So there are more people "ruling" us, than there are people being productive and making stuff.

Between Gov't and Welfare, not to mention corperate welfare, vast amounts of money are being spent funding people that are not productive in our country. And it is the people that work, and work hard, that are paying for that all.

And war after war, after war.

Wolfe Blitzer defended it in an interview with Rand Paul as being "good for the economy" because Lockheed Martin created jobs.

Yet they are getting paid by goverment contracts, which we the taxpayers are paying for

We pay, they profit.

Obama, Hillary and their ilk focus on these SJW issues while the country and world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Not to be insensitive, but who the hell cares what bathrooms Transgender people use?! Why the hell is that important in the big picture??

Why is Marriage equality so damn important?

Sure these are important issues to the minority affected, but we have much bigger things to take care of.

The Obama/ Hillary team have done nothing but help destroy and divide this country, plunge it furrher in debt, and keep it embroiled in military conflicts.

No, I've had enough. I'm willing to give our new President a chance.

We'll see. Ask me in 4 years if I think I and we, are better off.

I know after 8 years of the "change we can believe in" and "yes we can" administration, we are worse off.

Agree with my veiws or not, I wish you all well, and I sincerely hope we all have a brighter future. :)

Luckily, one of the major complaints about government is about how ineffectual it is. This won't be that much of a catastrophy, since government, in general, sucks at actually accomplishing something.

I've got the CBC news channel going while I work from home and it's hilarious.
- how did the pollsters get it wrong? Pollster guys have all sorts of excuses.
- why did Trump win/Hillary Lose ? Wow so many opinions/arguments over that one.
They haven't got a clue but it's fun to watch them all try and look like they know all the answers.

We had 18 months of CBC discussing the election. Now ad nauseum discussing the election results.
At least my RRSP's seem to be intact :)

Thank you Chili. Yes and no on it being a voluntary position. The positions of election officers are filled by volunteers but we are paid for the work. The going rate in Kentucky is $160.00 for the day but as a precinct sheriff I get $170.00 because I have to use my cell phone to communicate with the county clerk's office throughout the day.

My appreciation to you as a fellow Kentuckian for taking the time to do it.

Obama, Hillary and their ilk focus on these SJW issues while the country and world is going to hell in a handbasket...

The Obama/ Hillary team have done nothing but help destroy and divide this country, plunge it furrher in debt, and keep it embroiled in military conflicts...

I know after 8 years of the "change we can believe in" and "yes we can" administration, we are worse off.

You had me until these lines which contradict each other. If they did nothing, how can they create so much debt and embroil us in wars?

It does perfectly illustrate the acceptance of talking points I read commonly associated with right-winged thought. But shine a bit of light on them and they vanish.

There are a lot of issues, both sides own a varying percent of each of them. But to say that any issues we have today are a direct result of ONLY Democratic leadership, in the administrative branch, is entirely false. The Republicans have had control of the house and senate for 6 years. They've put forward NO BILLS for helping grown the economy, no bills that would replace The Affordable Care Act. No bills to reform our corrupt election system. No bills to close the loopholes in "corporate welfare" (your own words). They vowed from day 1 of his Presidency to block anything Obama attempts, and stayed true to their words. So how is it, again, clearly, Obama's fault?

The reason I point this out is to explain why this entire election and the combative tone used by the Right against the current administration (over the course of 8 years) is a self-fulfilling prophecy. They have convinced their voting block that (all) the ills can be pinned on the wrong people, villainize them and any 'progressive agenda', and ultimate get them to vote against their own best self interests. It's genius manipulation really, something worthy of text books, but sucks to be living history.

So going back to your list of things wrong that the new all Republican government will not fix -- they are in fact the party of war, and have gotten us into every conflict we are still engaged in today (a decade+++ later), as a result they spend a tremendous amount of our budget on military and are the authors of the bills favoring wall street (deregulation) and corporate welfare (porous tax code), which further helps balloon the national debt. The only time we've seen a government surplus was during the Bill Clinton years, and had it not been for the 2007 financial collapse we would likely have had another under the Obama administration.

It's healthy to be unhappy (it serves as impetus for change), but at least be unhappy about the right things and direct that anger at the right people.

You also never clarified how we are "worse off", another echo-chamber/dog-whistle phrase I hear a lot from right-wing media and politicians. How so, exactly?

Last edited:
You had me until these lines which contradict each other. If they did nothing, how can they create so much debt and embroil us in wars?

It does perfectly illustrate the acceptance of talking points I read commonly associated with right-winged thought. But shine a bit of light on them and they vanish.

There are a lot of issues, both sides own a varying percent of each of them. But to say that any issues we have today are a direct result of ONLY Democratic leadership, in the administrative branch, is entirely false. The Republicans have had control of the house and senate for 6 years. They've put forward NO BILLS for helping grown the economy, no bills that would replace The Affordable Care Act. No bills to reform our corrupt election system. No bills to close the loopholes in "corporate welfare" (your own words). They vowed from day 1 of his Presidency to block anything Obama attempts, and stayed true to their words. So how is it, again, clearly, Obama's fault?

The reason I point this out is to explain why this entire election and the combative tone used by the Right against the current administration (over the course of 8 years) is a self-fulfilling prophecy. They have convinced their voting block that (all) the ills can be pinned on the wrong people, villainize them and any 'progressive agenda', and ultimate get them to vote against their own best self interests. It's genius manipulation really, something worthy of text books, but sucks to be living history.

So going back to your list of things wrong that the new all Republican government will not fix -- they are in fact the party of war, and have gotten us into every conflict we are still engaged in today (a decade+++ later), as a result they spend a tremendous amount of our budget on military and are the authors of the bills favoring wall street (deregulation) and corporate welfare (porous tax code), which further helps balloon the national debt. The only time we've seen a government surplus was during the Bill Clinton years, and had it not been for the 2007 financial collapse we would likely have had another under the Obama administration.

It's healthy to be unhappy (it serves as impetus for change), but at least be unhappy about the right things and direct that anger at the right people.

You also never clarified how we are "worse off", another echo-chamber/dog-whistle phrase I hear a lot from right-wing media and politicians. How so, exactly?

I, in my earlier post stated MY opinion, not "talking points". Also, I did not contradict myself, and will not take your troll-bait.

I have no love affair with the Potus elect. I'm cautiously optimistic at best.

Peace out.
:D

I, in my earlier post stated MY opinion, not "talking points". Also, I did not contradict myself, and will not take your troll-bait.

I was *trying* to have a conversation. Asking you what you meant by a vague statement like "worse off" is hardly trolling or baiting. It's called TALKING.

Bear in mind I have zero history in any of the off topic and general discussion areas on this forum. So whatever you think you know about me, my motives, etc are entirely fictional since until very very recently never visited and/or participated in these areas of the forum. That can be easily verified by simply looking over my post history.

Reactions: TAE
I can apreciate that. But at this point conversations will do nothing. Not like any of us will change someone else's point of veiw.

The election is over, and we as the little people have not too much say in the outcome of it.
Time will tell. And my own political leanings are more towards the Who, rather than any political party.

:D

Back