So dead here now. What happened?

tubedude

It used to be hard to keep up with stuff here 10 years ago. The homerecordig thing booms but the site fizzles down. Is there something I'm missing?
I miss the days of typing and reading for 10 hours at a time on here. Lol

There isn't much sense of community here other than the few who have gone out of their way to collaborate (hi DM60 :) )) or have been around for ages and accumulated knowledge about the other members that way. The last gathering for members to meet face to face was... how many years ago?

There's a lot of negativity on the forum. Hot topics get (over) heated in a hurry due to hot heads and egos.

There's a lot of good sources for home recording information on the internet now. When I first got involved there was only a handful of sites, and blogging really didn't exist. Youtube hadn't even been invented.

So I'm thinking the answer boils down to a combination of time/progress and unwelcoming community. On today's internet, without a good community a forum is doomed to close shop. There's just too many other options out there for people to feel like they need to filter through the negativity.

There isn't much sense of community here other than the few who have gone out of their way to collaborate (hi DM60 :) )) or have been around for ages and accumulated knowledge about the other members that way....
So I'm thinking the answer boils down to a combination of time/progress and unwelcoming community. On today's internet, without a good community a forum is doomed to close shop. There's just too many other options out there for people to feel like they need to filter through the negativity.

Yep. .

Yeah, the cave... I couldn't even find this at first. Prime time? Hmmm...
This was a great forum at one time.

Yeah, the cave... I couldn't even find this at first. Prime time? Hmmm...
This was a great forum at one time.

I remember last December
Or was it July?
I really can't remember
I don't even try...uh uh, no no

Cause that was then, this is now and things have changed
Names and faces, games and places rearranged

Yeah dems was da daze!

Well, this is what happens when egos and trolls drive off all the genuine talent and knowledge.
Shame. There used to be some very valuable contributors around here.

Most of them don't have the time or inclination to deal with big fish in small ponds, I guess.

Well, this is what happens when egos and trolls drive off all the genuine talent and knowledge.
Shame. There used to be some very valuable contributors around here.

Most of them don't have the time or inclination to deal with big fish in small ponds, I guess.

Steen, would you please clear your inbox.

Your assessment of the posters on the forum surprises me. I don't know how to take you. Do you think the forum is lacking in talent? Andruskiwt, TripleM, VomitHatSteve, and myself among the regulars have been posting original music regularly for a year in my case. Others post occasionally. Have you been listening to that music to make a fair judgement about it? The same people have been carrying the Clinic. Have you been reading the comments that we make about mixes? I hope so, if you are going to dismiss them as lacking in quality. Or did you just make a poorly thought-out statement?

The web has changed. There were quite a few places like the Cave ten years ago - easygoing lounge-style forums on BBSes dedicated to all manner of subjects including home recording and music. Most of them have gone now. Might be an interesting subject for an essay (lol). Anyway the new web ain't the same as the old web IMO.

Back