So close yet so far away....

TAE

All you have is now
Sigh...

Went home shopping with a business partner who has waaaaay deeper pockets than me today looking at shacks in the 2 to 4 million dollar range....damn!

Got home very satisfied with my paid off $500K humble abode of 30 years...decided to take a peek on Redfin to see what I might find for my bud in the higher rent areas.... Holy shit...

Found this shack just 10 miles from mine going for a mere 68 million....who the hell owns this ghetto shack?

I'm guessing Michael Jackson. Ugh.

Nah Wonderland is up North past Santa Barbara a good hour and a half or so away...

Bradbury is a small little gated community for the upper class San Gabrielians.. My Pops was a hardwood flooring contractor back in the 60's and did the floors in some of them there little shacks... I remember I was probably 9 or 10 helping him out during the summer...Holy shit they were some big houses...Living rooms bigger than our little 3 bed room 1200 sf house.

Bradbury is also where Mickey Thompson lived and he and his wife were murdered :eek:

I have been downsizing for the last 15 years, moved 4 times. Now own a 60 sq Mtr (640 sq Feet) 1 bed apartment. Wife loves it, No garden, no maintenance, easy to look after and good to lock up and leave. I realised many years ago that the more you own the bigger the hassle.

I do have my studio / factory as well, my man cave, but even that is low maintenance and is only for the studio and gear storage.

Alan.

I have been downsizing for the last 15 years, moved 4 times. Now own a 60 sq Mtr (640 sq Feet) 1 bed apartment. Wife loves it, No garden, no maintenance, easy to look after and good to lock up and leave. I realised many years ago that the more you own the bigger the hassle.

I do have my studio / factory as well, my man cave, but even that is low maintenance and is only for the studio and gear storage.

Alan.

Jesus - I own a 116 sq m two bedroom, two bathroom apartment (and that's pretty big) and live on my own and it's way too small... Next move will be to upsize, not down...

Totally understand your position Witzendoz...Simplify.... At 63 I'm with ya but...with 2 adult married daughters and 5 grand children having the shack with some room to stretch is luxury I am reluctantly willing to struggle to maintain. I live in a Baby Boomer 1950's bedroom community in what we call "single family" tract homes. (anywhere from 10-20 up to a 1000 homes or more developed and sold all at the same time) my shack like me is 63 years old.

Good sized lot just under 1000 m2. The shack is a 3 bdrm 2 bath with a small kitchen, nice size dinning room and living room ( @160 m2 total living space ) The garage and Jam room are separate and total @ 80 m2 ( and are stuffed to the gills with mostly unnecessary "stuff")

I hated living in an apartment when we were a young couple ( had always lived in a single family home as a kid )

Been reluctant to consider the condo thing but as we age it may be an option...we rent a nice one at the beach each year for a few weeks and it sure is sweet...but again large enough to support the clan . Thinking about it...with the grand kids now just little....this is going to get tight as they get older / bigger( YIKES!)

How the hell does a place like that have an HOA? Neighbors are nowhere near.

LOL it's a gated community of huge luxury homes with that one being the biggest by far....It's been in existence since the early 60's as far as I know...

10 years ago I had a massive 2 story house, the studio was the whole ground floor, Control room, main room, drum room and gear room. With its own kitchen and even a shower LOL. The maintenance on the house killed me, I even hired a gardener so I had time to record.

We moved to our 1st apartment and I bought the studio building I now have, my man cave LOL, we later moved into a place slightly further from the main town centre but still working distance, the place we have now was a new build apartment 2 min walk from the beach and a 20 min walk from town (or a 5 min free Cat bus ride). The idea is I now don't have to do any work around home and can spend my time (after the day job) recording artists and myself, mixing live gigs, playing in several bands and watching football. Plus we go away around the world every year or so and we can lock the place up and not worry about it. I too never thought I would want a place like this but it has a lot of advantages, however I would not live in an apartment if I did not have the studio building. By the way the cost of buying the 2 buildings is about the cost of having a house big enough to live in and having a studio in.

Alan.

Yo Wit! sounds like a pretty cool set up....I am guessing no kids / grand kids living nearby? At least for us at this place and space n time the one bedroom apt isn't going to cut it.
I found that a gardener was a great investment about 30 years ago and never looked back. It's doubled from $25 a month to $50 over the last 30 but it's just the front yard...backyard is a cement jungle with a pool....I do maintain the pool but that's pretty easy with 30 years of dialing it in.

Back