ska

dobro

I never listened to ska before, just heard of it. My wife got a discount disk for a dollar - Best of British Ska - it was only a dollar cuz one of the two disks in the case was missing. This stuff's great. Ska's kind of sped-up white boy reggae crossed with punk. Plus a sense of humor. Really good party music. All these guys having so much fun. I've been wasting my life.

I've been wasting my life.

Lol. Yes you have. It's funny to me when you discover stuff everyone else already knew about.

That's okay though, better late than never.

But wtf kind of mega-sheltered upbringing did you have that all this regular stuff has escaped your attention for so long?

I was raised on folk and hippie and pop. Lots to listen to there. I wasn't sheltered, I was just focused.

+1 rude boy. Go Dobro.
Learn to skank and chunk.
Reggae on the 2 & 4
Ska on the off beat , ands.
Welcome to the fun

Dobro you know ska bands ... No Doubt ( before they went commercial ), Sublime ( Date rape song) English Beat ( mirror in the bathroom ) Madness ( One step beyond) Hell even Oingo Boingo ( only a lad) could be classified as ska sometimes
a blend of Jazz, calypso, reggae.. horns are usually a part of the deal

We had a really cool local ska band here in Anaheim called Suburban legends but money changes everything..Here is an older video ( it's not cool to play ska music) before they, like No Doubt got the money changers controlling the game .. and here is the result...liked em when they were fresh and raw..."Suburban Legends" Kiss the Girl but they're still entertaining..

Last edited:
Wasnt really into the Brit revival stuff at the time (love The Specials though)...but I do have the trojan boxset...the early stuff its excellent

I love the Ska.

Some of my favorites-
Bim Skala Bim
New York Ska Jazz Ensemble
Specials

I was raised on folk and hippie and pop. Lots to listen to there. I wasn't sheltered, I was just focused.
Being born in England in the early 60s, ska was just part of the air one breathed as black music weaved it's way into the national consciousness. But the Beatles included a crazy bit of ska as early as 1964 in the middle part of "I call your name" and four years later in "Obladi oblada." I reckon they picked up on the 1964 bit from Millie Small's "My boy lollipop" which was a big hit early that year and kind of brought music of the West Indies into peoples' living rooms.

I played bass in a punk ska band a gajillion years ago. was the funnest freaking band i had ever been in. Here, have the worlds shittest Ep for free, on me. my treat.

If you really are an audio purist don't even waste your time. It was recorded in a garage with 6 radio shack mics and instead of doing it one song at time we just did the whole freakin set each take. Stupid Punk rock kids. I caution you. you will puke. But, if you like punk ska like operation ivy (a couple of their covers in there too actually) you might like it. Catchy.

Also this song is my morning drive to work song... gets me so pumped up for the day. SO MUCH FUN!!!! Enjoy!

Grooveshark - Free Music Streaming, Online Music

Back