Should have kept the Cave open.

R

RAMI

I've come to this conclusion just looking at the threads in this place.

It might be called "Prime Time", but it's becoming the cave.

Every second thread is "Trump", "Clinton", Trump", "Politicians", "Trump", etc.....

Just like when someone says "I don't mean to be a jerk, but.....", and they proceed to be a jerk, it seems that people are getting away with all the politics by starting their threads with "I don't mean to be political, but....." or some variation thereof.

I'm not even complaining. Just sharing an observation. I have no problem with it, I just don't comment in those threads so it's not a problem for me. In fact, I spend way less time around here in general than I used to, anyway.

I don't think it has become as acidic as the Cave. But, slowly but surely, it will.

There's nothing wrong with political threads at all providing that no one has a melt down (like the one that nutter had last week and then asked to close his account). Its actually quite easy to have a political discussion without being a twat if you actually want to. Unfotunately many people, including politicians on both sides of the atlantic, are incapable of this.

There are still some former cave dwellers that can't resist being arseholes but they'll either moderate themselves or get banned. Simple.

There's nothing wrong with political threads at all providing that no one has a melt down (like the one that nutter had last week and then asked to close his account). Its actually quite easy to have a political discussion without being a twat if you actually want to. Unfotunately many people, including politicians on both sides of the atlantic, are incapable of this.

There are still some former cave dwellers that can't resist being arseholes but they'll either moderate themselves or get banned. Simple.

Yeah, I was just thinking out loud because I noticed more and more threads leaning towards politics, and those threads would have been killed right away a few months ago. Like I said, I don't have a problem with it. I actually find the partisanship laughable at best and pathetic at worst. Every 4 or 8 years, it's the exact same fucking thing, with everyone claiming "my corrupt, piece of shit scum bag is better that your piece of shit corrupt scum bag". We all know what the definition of insanity is. But, sure enough every couple of years, people do the same thing over and over again.

For me, it's a comedy show.....but it needs better writers. :D

Spoken like a true mod.

I'm guilty of slipping into that mindset. It's hard to keep a lid on it when so many stupid people say so many stupid things, but I'm done. Aint doing it. It's boring and tedious.

I'm guilty of slipping into that mindset. It's hard to keep a lid on it when so many stupid people say so many stupid things, but I'm done. Aint doing it. It's boring and tedious.

We can all fall into it, it's human nature. We all want our opinions known, and it's hard to resist. But, I've managed to teach myself to refrain. One of the reasons is because, it doesn't really matter. Nobody's going to change their opinion on anything based on a post I make on an internet forum with a bunch of other morons who also think they have it all figured out.

See I don't find that a problem. If someone posts something which is useful and adds more information which is new to me I'll often change my opinion. There's no point in forming your conclusion and then only selecting information that supports it. That's completely contradictory to the scientific method.

See I don't find that a problem. If someone posts something which is useful and adds more information which is new to me I'll often change my opinion. There's no point in forming your conclusion and then only selecting information that supports it. That's completely contradictory to the scientific method.

Yet your mind never changes.

When you see the same shit from the same people year after year after year, you'll get tired of it too.

What is there to talk about that doesn't have some type of political overtone? I guess we could talk about the Kardashians, but I don't know much about them except, they get talked about a lot.

Often you see one of those threads posted, then miraculously one from the opposing side will shortly follow....no connection at all, mind you.

My feeling is they should probably just delete that shit right away, ban anyone who can't let it go and continues to post that type shit. It's tempting for too many to get involved, and invites a shit storm. There are lots of places on the net to argue politics and/or religion. That crap was already driven into the ground (no pun) in the cave and personally, i'm glad it's gone.

I regret my time in the cave and participation in useless discussions of the sort.

Often you see one of those threads posted, then miraculously one from the opposing side will shortly follow....no connection at all, mind you.

My feeling is they should probably just delete that shit right away, ban anyone who can't let it go and continues to post that type shit. It's tempting for too many to get involved, and invites a shit storm. There are lots of places on the net to argue politics and/or religion. That crap was already driven into the ground (no pun) in the cave and personally, i'm glad it's gone.

I regret my time in the cave and participation in useless discussions of the sort.

This ^^^^

There's a difference between sensible discussions/debate, and trolling to get a rise out of someone.
Plenty of people here change or modify their opinions based on the experiences and knowledge of others and through healthy debate, but you're not likely to see it in a thread with a loaded title.

That's not to say there aren't good contributing members here who are stuck in their ways or rigid about their their opinions; That happens too.

Whether it's analog/digital or presidential candidates, there will always be healthy discussion and there will always be trolls.
Unfortunately the latter are often very good at pretending they're all about the former.

I don't give a shit if Prime Time is loaded with political threads if that's what people want to discuss here in off-topic, but there's still evidence to suggest that it'll never be able to happen without some amount of de-railing or shit slinging.

Yet your mind never changes.

When you see the same shit from the same people year after year after year, you'll get tired of it too.
I've changed my mind a few times when we've been discussing stuff. There's people like that guy last week which aren't exactly convincing, but other people in here can construct reasonable arguments. You just makes yours with lots of swearing... But I like swearing.

Back