Salmon skin.....

R

RAMI

You eat it? Remove it before cooking? Remove it after cooking?

I love the taste of it, but I always pull it off, because I thought that's where there's a lot of contaminants. But I've heard conflicting things about it. There's also a lot of Omega-3 in the skin.

---------- Update ----------

Some like to eat it as well.
I'm talking about Salmon Skin, not Salmon Rushdie. :D

I love the taste of it, but I always pull it off, because I thought that's where there's a lot of contaminants. But I've heard conflicting things about it. There's also a lot of Omega-3 in the skin.

Yeah I don't know too much about the nutritional ins and outs, I just don't like gross fish skin.

I only bring this up because I have fish at least 4 times a week, and today I cheated and ate the skin. Man, it tastes good. So then I looked it up and out of the 8 articles I read, 4 of them said it eat, and 4 of them said don't eat it.

Salmon crackling = awesome...

Place skin down in a bit of oil in frying pan, when half cooked, put some butter in pan, turn over, turn heat off, sort your veges out while you wait for cooking to complete. Yumbo...

Never heard of anyone recommending not eating it...

More important than if you eat the skin or not, do you eat farmed salmon? I don't...only wild caught and it is a world of difference in texture and flavor...not to mention no need for coloring to be added...YUCK!

The big cheffy thing to do for the past few years is to fry the salmon so it's crisp then expect people to eat it. Most of the time it's pretty blech but once...just once...a a nice restaurant I had it actually taste good. I dunno what they did differently, whether it was in the cooking or the prep.

However, 99% of the time, including when I cook it myself, I peel it off and toss it out.

Of course, the BEST way to eat salmon is raw as part of a sushi or sashimi plate...needs to be really good salmon though.

My advice is to eat the skin. If you don't eat the skin, my advice is to give your skin to me.

I only bring this up because I have fish at least 4 times a week, and today I cheated and ate the skin. Man, it tastes good. So then I looked it up and out of the 8 articles I read, 4 of them said it eat, and 4 of them said don't eat it.

Eat it, man. Count the fat towards your macros and you're good to go.
The skin is the best part, just like on chicken!

Where I buy it (supermarket) you can buy skin off or skin on, generally... used to buy skin off, but since I discovered salmon crackling, it's skin on all the way...

Back