Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2017 Nominees

You would think that on that list are acts that made a significant contribution to music. I can't decide whether 'fame' is a significant contribution. But I can't see why, say, Janet Jackson is on the list (apart from popularity). Personal taste is probably not a good selection criterion (although the nominators may beg to differ).

You would think that on that list are acts that made a significant contribution to music. I can't decide whether 'fame' is a significant contribution. But I can't see why, say, Janet Jackson is on the list (apart from popularity). Personal taste is probably not a good selection criterion (although the nominators may beg to differ).

I also think, that political correctness got into the music biz several years back...and now, the awards shows, the Hall of Fame inductions...etc...have a lot of decisions that stem from "appeasement" and little else. The need to not upset anyone (which is never easy)...and the need to cover all segments of the population and their tastes...etc.

I'm sure music politics have always been in play...but I think it's more obvious these days.
I don't know if there are any awards shows that select purely on merit and for deserved recognition.

No Prince? Too soon, or is he already in?

Most appropriate choice I would ever give a shit to suggest, Spinal tap.

Then, close it an kill it with fire.

The Cars deserve the recognition. They were massively popular in the day, but also creative and underrated. They did a lot to shift pop music tastes in the late 70s toward New Wave. Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson deserve a nod too. From the same era or a bit later, Pet Shop Boys.

Pet Shop Boys.

About as far from rock'n'roll as Janet Jackson, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely be on the side of PSB, who were usually pretty interesting.

Problem is the "rock 'n' roll" in the title. Sounds cooler than "contemporary music" but that's what it's really all about, judging by that list.

The Cars were cool pop BUT a) the copped a lot of Buddy Holly and b) they were, really, just another newave pop outfit.
ELO in the 1st instance - with Roy Wood - kicked off the string thing JL just joined, stayed & milked it.
Costello was something very special and Joe Jackson copied him pretty well for a couple of albums before becoming the modern equi. of an all round entertainer.
The fact that REAL innovators are still out in the cold simply makes the point that it's politics and pullintics.
Because it's US based bands like Wire, Joy Division, Buzzcocks, Magazine etc and Oz bands like the Masters Apprentices, The Thought Criminals etc will remain parochial favs of significant influence.

I really don't understand why Lou Reed had a career.

He fell into that avant-garde - NYC underground - beatnik poet crowd when it was the hip thing going on.
I like his stuff from a songwriting perspective...but I always thought his stuff sounded best when covered by other artists, and noit when he did it himself.. :)

He fell into that avant-garde - NYC underground - beatnik poet crowd when it was the hip thing going on.
I like his stuff from a songwriting perspective...but I always thought his stuff sounded best when covered by other artists, and noit when he did it himself.. :)
If it's about poetry, that explains it. I really don't listen to lyrics for anything beyond their rhythmic quality. It could be scat singing for all I care.

I feel the same about Bob Dylan.

Man, if they're going to start scraping the bottom of the barrel, why isn't my name on that list?

To me, bands that broke new ground in music or had a huge impact on music should go into the hall of fame. It shouldn't be about sales, but you know that's always the number one driver.

Pearl Jam - I used to enjoy them, they brought a new sound in their day. They deserve to be inducted.
Electric Light Orchestra - As much as you guys hate them, they were innovative. Violins and cellos in a rock band. They at least deserve a vote.
Journey - While not ground breaking, they did have a big impact. and that little fucker could sing. They should at least get a vote.
the Cars - They were a new sound and changed the direction of music.
The Zombies - These guys have some timeless songs.

The rest?? No way. Go build a Disco or Kum-ba-ya Hall of Fame....

Indeed, that little fucker could sing. Dubbed "The Voice" in some circles, Steve Perry was an incredible vocalist. His tone doesn't always suit, i'd say particularly in the in the early years. But later he developed a bit of gravel and a deeper tone. Incredible head voice, that guy, one worthy of study. He has been out of the game for years. It might be really iffy if they make the cut and perform at the ceremony. I'd be rooting for him, but at 67 would almost rather he not attempt it. Check this live one out, a lesser known tune, Mother Father. If you don't care to listen through, skip to 4:57. I mean, what other rock vocalist can do that?

Last edited:
Well, Mick, Roger Taylor comes to mind. Galileo says hello.

But I agree, that little fucker could wail, for a girl!

:D

Back