Robert Plant on Austin City Limits "Black Dog"

Flatfoot, Nope. I read TAE's comment and that inspired my rant. You weren't a subect of any harshness on my part. :)

As to the subect, there are probably those artists who are hanging on to past glory and are all about the cash grab.

I've heard many a story of John Entwistle just doing Who tours to pay off gambling debts, and not interested in the music at all.

And then you have an artist like Neil Young, who is still recording and touring with a combination of old and new music. Seems he's in it for the love, although I'm sure he also does pretty well finacially.

You take someone like Johnny Cash, he worked up till the end.

I think what separates out the "Cash Grabbers" is they are the ones just clinging to yesterday's sucess. This could be due to them, record industry pressures, and fan pressures.

I know with Plant, he did a lot of stuff after Led Zeppelin. Some of which I really liked, but never "made it".
Then again, how does one compete with themselves when they were in Led Zeppelin?

I had a chat over ale with Mitch Mitchell once and asked him why he never did anything after Hendrix. He said; "where do you go when you've been on top of the mountain? Join a Hendrix trubute band?"

Point being it's real hard venturing out from the high point of one's career.

But with Plant, he did try to break away from the old and into the new, but I think the fans and labels wouldn't allow it.

Think of it this way, if he does the old stuff, even if badly, that ultimately results in increased Zeppelin sales. So its kind of a win win.

Who knows. I'm not privy to their personal motivations nor all the inner workings.

:D

Reactions: TAE
I know with Plant, he did a lot of stuff after Led Zeppelin. Some of which I really liked, but never "made it".

It's hard to say what "making it" entails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Plant_discography

He has several certified platinum and gold recordings as a solo artist or collaborator. This in addition to income from touring, including Page/Plant sold out tour(s), that have surely only added to a positive financial position.

I'd think he's doing it for the love of music at this point. His rendition in the first post's video is clearly intended to be fun and breath some different energy into a timeless classic.

Flatfoot, Nope. I read TAE's comment and that inspired my rant. You weren't a subect of any harshness on my part. :)

As to the subect, there are probably those artists who are hanging on to past glory and are all about the cash grab.

I've heard many a story of John Entwistle just doing Who tours to pay off gambling debts, and not interested in the music at all.

And then you have an artist like Neil Young, who is still recording and touring with a combination of old and new music. Seems he's in it for the love, although I'm sure he also does pretty well finacially.

You take someone like Johnny Cash, he worked up till the end.

I think what separates out the "Cash Grabbers" is they are the ones just clinging to yesterday's sucess. This could be due to them, record industry pressures, and fan pressures.

Then again, how does one compete with themselves when they were in Led Zeppelin?

I had a chat over ale with Mitch Mitchell once and asked him why he never did anything after Hendrix. He said; "where do you go when you've been on top of the mountain? Join a Hendrix trubute band?"

Point being it's real hard venturing out from the high point of one's career.

But with Plant, he did try to break away from the old and into the new, but I think the fans and labels wouldn't allow it.

Think of it this way, if he does the old stuff, even if badly, that ultimately results in increased Zeppelin sales. So its kind of a win win.

Who knows. I'm not privy to their personal motivations nor all the inner workings.

:D

I doubt any of that list of people were ever in it for the love of music, they were ALL millionaires and continue to make money from royalties and touring, even if they say they are in it for the love of music, it's very hard to believe.

Obviously if some TV show (or whatever ACL is) wanted me to play a song I wrote 45 years ago, I'd say "No!" because #integrity.

Yeah right.... :laughings:

I doubt any of that list of people were ever in it for the love of music, they were ALL millionaires and continue to make money from royalties and touring, even if they say they are in it for the love of music, it's very hard to believe.

I am pretty sure all of them love or loved making music at some point in their career ( though as with anything you do repetitively for years be it being a mechanic, and IT guy , a basketball super star or rock star some do get burned out doing what they love as a job ) The fact that these old superstars make some good money in the process doesn't mean they don't love doing it...When you are set for life financially you sure don't need to do it for the money. There is the assumption they are all rich as shit...that isn't true....plenty of fools with a lot of money get separated from it pretty easily and end up broke as shit... ahem...On the road again :thumbs up:

You can't blame Robert Plant for regurgitating his old crap. Blame the people that will still pay to hear that mess. To me it's like my hatred of cover/tribute bands. I had to do some thoughtful reflection and came to the conclusion that I don't actually hate cover bands, I hate the brainless mongoloids that pay to see them. If people didn't want to see a band play terrible covers of famous songs then cover bands wouldn't exist. It's the same with these dinosaur acts.

Back