RIP Joe Cocker

I remember John Belushi doing his Cocker impression on SNL and Joe Cocker came out unplanned and they ended up dueting together.

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought he was dead, too, but now that he is, RIP.

(I also thought Muhammad Ali was dead.)

He did some superb stuff up to & ending with Sheffield Steel.
Smoking'll get you in the end.
Margarine!

I really only know him for that cover of that Beatles song he did. Was he super huge and I just missed the whole thing?

I really only know him for that cover of that Beatles song he did. Was he super huge and I just missed the whole thing?

Per Wiki:
His cover of the Beatles' "With a Little Help from My Friends" reached number one in the UK in 1968, and he performed the song live at Woodstock in 1969. His version also became the theme song for the TV series The Wonder Years. His 1975 cover of Billy Preston's "You Are So Beautiful", reached number five in the US. Cocker is the recipient of several awards, including a 1983 Grammy Award for his US number one "Up Where We Belong", a duet with Jennifer Warnes. In 1993 he was nominated for the Brit Award for Best British Male, in 2007 was awarded a bronze Sheffield Legends plaque in his hometown, and in 2008 he received an OBE at Buckingham Palace for services to music.[1][2] Cocker was ranked #97 on Rolling Stone's 100 greatest singers list.

Studio albums[edit]
With a Little Help from My Friends (1969)
Joe Cocker! (1969)
Joe Cocker (1972/EU: 1973)
I Can Stand a Little Rain (1974)
Jamaica Say You Will (1975)
Stingray (1976)
Luxury You Can Afford (1978)
Sheffield Steel (1982)
Civilized Man (1984)
Cocker (1986)
Unchain My Heart (1987)
One Night of Sin (1989)
Night Calls (1991/US: 1992)
Have a Little Faith (1994)
Organic (1996)
Across from Midnight (1997)
No Ordinary World (1999/US: 2000)
Respect Yourself (2002)
Heart & Soul (2004/US: 2005)
Hymn for My Soul (2007/US: 2008)
Hard Knocks (2010/US: 2012)
Fire It Up (2012)

Here's a video you may not have seen before: Joe with Todd Rundgren/Utopia and Santana all on stage at one time: Studio albums[edit]
Todd Rundgren, Joe Cocker, Santana, and More - Finale - YouTube

Per Wiki:
His cover of the Beatles' "With a Little Help from My Friends" reached number one in the UK in 1968, and he performed the song live at Woodstock in 1969. His version also became the theme song for the TV series The Wonder Years. His 1975 cover of Billy Preston's "You Are So Beautiful", reached number five in the US. Cocker is the recipient of several awards, including a 1983 Grammy Award for his US number one "Up Where We Belong", a duet with Jennifer Warnes. In 1993 he was nominated for the Brit Award for Best British Male, in 2007 was awarded a bronze Sheffield Legends plaque in his hometown, and in 2008 he received an OBE at Buckingham Palace for services to music.[1][2] Cocker was ranked #97 on Rolling Stone's 100 greatest singers list.

Studio albums[edit]
Joe Cocker! (1969)
Stingray (1976)
Sheffield Steel (1982)
Civilized Man (1984)
Cocker (1986)
Unchain My Heart (1987)
One Night of Sin (1989)
Organic (1996)
Respect Yourself (2002)
Fire It Up (2012)

Here's a video you may not have seen before: Joe with Todd Rundgren/Utopia and Santana all on stage at one time: Studio albums[edit]

Thanks for copying and pasting but not really shedding any light on anything. :laughings:

Not really huge, but had that unique voice. Sure could have used him on my last song, lol.

Thanks for copying and pasting but not really shedding any light on anything. :laughings:

Well if you bothered to read it you would, at least, know that he had 22 albums, received some awards, etc - evidently more than you knew about him before. Just sayin'...

Well if you bothered to read it you would, at least, know that he had 22 albums, received some awards, etc - evidently more than you knew about him before. Just sayin'...

I did read it. None of that rang a bell. I'm looking for songs. Songs that he's done that would make me know who he is. You know how some musicians have songs that even if you don't know who the artist is, you know the song? What's his? So he had two "hit" songs, one of them a cover, and one was a duet. What else?

If I were to sum up Joe, it would be about his style of performance. Since he didn't write songs, his approach to doing covers was as unique as James Brown (I don't think he wrote his own tunes), Elvis, Johnny Cash, Dean Martin, etc. Other than With a Little Help of My Friends, these were pretty known tunes:

You Are So Beautiful
Feelin’ Alright - Really cool little grove
The Letter - (by the Box Tops)

He really went into a niche mode, entertainer type singer more than a radio friendly career.

He just had a style that really was different and a nice departure from the "normal".

Per Wiki:

Studio albums[edit]
Joe Cocker! (1969)
Stingray (1976)
Sheffield Steel (1982)
Civilized Man (1984)
Cocker (1986)
Unchain My Heart (1987)
One Night of Sin (1989)
Organic (1996)
Respect Yourself (2002)
Fire It Up (2012)

He was one of the greats....He was smart.....he managed to live a fairly long life....some of the greats were dead by the time they were in their mid to late 20's....sad isn't it....

Yeah I've never heard of any of his songs other than the 2 covers.
I've published 3 CD's - bet you haven't heard any of them either. lol I'm as famous as Joe Cocker.

I did read it. None of that rang a bell. I'm looking for songs. Songs that he's done that would make me know who he is. You know how some musicians have songs that even if you don't know who the artist is, you know the song? What's his? So he had two "hit" songs, one of them a cover, and one was a duet. What else?
Forget it Greg. Just another "dinosaur".

Back