Ramones 1st album getting remastered

Maybe, but I doubt this would be done if there wasn't money in it for them.

Well there's money for Johnny's wife and Joey's brother. They're the curators of the Ramones legacy now since every single original member that wrote and played on the album is dead. There are no original Ramones left. From my fanboy perspective, I'd say they do an admirable job of keeping the Ramones legacy alive without sullying it with too much nonsense. It could be argued that the Ramones are bigger now than they've ever been. Too bad they didn't get to see it. Unlike many punk bands, they actually wanted mainstream success and appeal while blowing apart the establishment. They were about twenty years ahead of their time.

The stereo is remaster in the digital domain - no point putting it on a LP for the vintage/original/sweet vinyl sound then.
The Mono was mixed to tape & then mastered in the same way as the original stereo album which means it's been mixed digitally to tape and then digitally mastered - again pointless to put in out as an LP record.
I'd like to hear the mono mix on CD though being quite a mono fan and having listened to the original stereo on headphones many times.

Well there's money for Johnny's wife and Joey's brother. They're the curators of the Ramones legacy now since every single original member that wrote and played on the album is dead. There are no original Ramones left. From my fanboy perspective, I'd say they do an admirable job of keeping the Ramones legacy alive without sullying it with too much nonsense. It could be argued that the Ramones are bigger now than they've ever been. Too bad they didn't get to see it. Unlike many punk bands, they actually wanted mainstream success and appeal while blowing apart the establishment. They were about twenty years ahead of their time.

Well, I hope it works out good for them.
And with the net, I'm sure this will open up a 'new' audience for the Ramones. There's certainly a bit of buzz.

I have Spodify and there are 2 Ramones first albums on there. One is just the first album and the other is "remastered". So, is this the newly remastered album we're talking about or has there already been an earlier remaster?

I have Spodify and there are 2 Ramones first albums on there. One is just the first album and the other is "remastered". So, is this the newly remastered album we're talking about or has there already been an earlier remaster?

There has been a previous remaster already.

There has been a previous remaster already.
Oh OK.
In my opionion, a very high fidelity lush master would take away from the power, punch, and overall low fi greatness of the original master.

The Ramones had an overall killer sound that may not translate as well if too much detail and tweaking is done IMHO.

Remastering can renew the copyright and keep it from going public domain. Once it goes public, the money stream for the writers dries up a bit and anyone can use it for anything.

Remastering can renew the copyright and keep it from going public domain. Once it goes public, the money stream for the writers dries up a bit and anyone can use it for anything.

Isn't a copyright 75 years or something? Ramones is an old album but I don't guess it's in danger of becoming public domain.

On the copyright protection thing, knowing what I know...I don't believe remastering would qualify as a new work so not copyrightable in of itself...either way copyrights last for a looooooong time...Copyrights issued before 1978 ( like The Ramones first album ) fall under a different system but end up being able to be protected up to 95 years..ones filed after the new law in 1978 are good up to 120 years or the authors life / lives + 70 years whichever is shorter..:eek:

If you want to understand the length of time of enforce-ability of copyrights here's the PDF from the copyright office on the topic...

Remastering qualifies as a new work when you add a couple bonus tracks

Hey Jay.....I'm not an attorney but I have dealt with copyrights on a few matters over the years...It's law and anything can be argued.

I could see how the bonus tracks would qualify for a new copyright "if" they had never been released and copyrighted as part of another album or as individual songs previously. The rest of the album, again as I see it..would not qualify as a new work...remastered or tracks added....They are the identical songs that were originally copyrighted and must be altered significantly to qualify as a new work. I might be wrong ...I'm not sure but that's what my gut instincts tell me....

Copyright law is funky and at some point comes down to how the contracts were written and/or applied. For instance, the reason Spinal Tap tours occasionally or shows up on tv is continue the copyrights and trademarks.

Also see The Beatles or Elvis etc.

Back