punk?

I've heard that song used as an example of the first metal tune. It can't be that AND the first punk tune too...
:laughings:

I think some punk started monk rock to get the Kinks out because he was Stoned.
Keef as the model for punk is rather an amusing thought - UK punk was, initially, opposed to drugs other than beanies & booze, (then speed crept in of course). Keef, in the post RnB version of his band, was about being so out of it he was into it.
The closest punk got to Keef was Adam Ant in his pirate suit (& that was after Adam left punk for pop).
Mind you tabloid based historians would see the parallel between the life ineptitude & habits of Keef & John Richie/Beverley and extrapolate that into a new sequel in the POTCarribean series.

I was into the 70's guitar rock. Trower, Nugent, Skynyrd, the Allman bros, Aerosmith...
I thought the Ramones were pretty cool....the fast power chords, pumping drum beat, and almost pop melodies. It was different but tight and we'll rehearsed and performed. Ditto on Blondie. As far as the punk coming out of the UK...
I thought it was a joke. Literally.
I mean come on man...the sex pistols??
They could barely play their instruments, couldn't sing, and their lyrics were idiotic. That whole scene...the pistols, the boomtown rats, the clash....I never cared for it at all.

Anybody can cop a bad attitude, dye their hair orange, scream into a mic, and bang on an instrument they don't know how to play. It's harder to practice, become proficient on your intrument, and produce tight well rehearsed songs.

Also, the comment about punkers being anti drug??
Sid vicious, the poster boy for punk rock, was a full blown junkie.

Also, the comment about punkers being anti drug??
Sid vicious, the poster boy for punk rock, was a full blown junkie.

I think that this is one of those things that got lost in translation.
Skinheads didn't used to be Neo-Nazis either but that's just how the public perceives them.

I think some punk started monk rock to get the Kinks out because he was Stoned.
Keef as the model for punk is rather an amusing thought - UK punk was, initially, opposed to drugs other than beanies & booze, (then speed crept in of course). Keef, in the post RnB version of his band, was about being so out of it he was into it.
The closest punk got to Keef was Adam Ant in his pirate suit (& that was after Adam left punk for pop).
Mind you tabloid based historians would see the parallel between the life ineptitude & habits of Keef & John Richie/Beverley and extrapolate that into a new sequel in the POTCarribean series.

Say wot now...:confused:

Actually it Mozart.

---------- Update ----------

Or was it Jelly Roll... Not sure which come to think of it..?

---------- Update ----------

It may have been Abba..

Jimi,
You're in need of assistance.
Go online & find the Classic Album TV series, select the NMTBollocks episode and watch OR listen to the album.
Either will set you straight - a fabulous album that was very, very well recorded.
It was a calculated slap in the face for all of those who judged them on the media frenzy and rather poor post Matlock live performances.
I was really happy when the singles, then LP were released.
It was a good time to be in the late teens.

Too much mental and nostalgic energy is spent on the Sex Pistols in punk discussions when in reality The Clash was by far the most powerful first-wave punk band to come from the UK. The mopped the floor with the Sex Pistols.

Too much mental and nostalgic energy is spent on the Sex Pistols in punk discussions when in reality The Clash was by far the most powerful first-wave punk band to come from the UK. The mopped the floor with the Sex Pistols.

Whatever. Crass made them both look like arena rock hams.

Back