punk?

I think the Rolling Stones invented the spirit of punk and are the rightful grand daddies of that genre.

And Keith Richards is the poster child for what a punk rocker should look and act like.

The kinks were a bit too civilized and legible sound-wise.

Cheers! :)

I think the Rolling Stones invented the spirit of punk and are the rightful grand daddies of that genre.

And Keith Richards is the poster child for what a punk rocker should look and act like.

The kinks were a bit too civilized and legible sound-wise.

Cheers! :)

This is still the song that brought distorted guitars into the mainstream. That's got to count for something.

I think a few people either had to have been there or need to read a book about it before pontificating about what punk is based upon a few conclusions drawn from stupid premises. You're like children pointing at an orange and going - "look, this had to be the great-granddaddy of the spacehopper - I mean, there wouldn't have been spacehoppers if it wasn't for these round, orange coloured precursors."

I think a few people either had to have been there or need to read a book about it before pontificating about what punk is based upon a few conclusions drawn from stupid premises. You're like children pointing at an orange and going - "look, this had to be the great-granddaddy of the spacehopper - I mean, there wouldn't have been spacehoppers if it wasn't for these round, orange coloured precursors."

Calm down pops. :)

This is still the song that brought distorted guitars into the mainstream. That's got to count for something.
John Lennon said that the Beatles tune "I feel fine" was the first rock record to have guitar feedback and distortion.
The blues guys had already done it on some of their recordings though I believe.

John Lennon said that the Beatles tune "I feel fine" was the first rock record to have guitar feedback and distortion.
The blues guys had already done it on some of their recordings though I believe.

The song "Dust my Broom" already has distortion and that's from 1951.
The Kinks song brought it into the mainstream. That's the difference.

The song "Dust my Broom" already has distortion and that's from 1951.
The Kinks song brought it into the mainstream. That's the difference.

John said that it was already done in the blues gendre, but that the Beatles were the first to do it on a pop/rock recording. I would venture to say the Beatles tune "I feel fine" was about as main stream as it gets in the 60's. I don't think the kinks predated that. But, maybe in wring.

Well I went back and researched it. "You really got me was released 2 months before "I feel fine", and the Lennon quote didn't mention guitar distortion. He said 'I feel fine" was the first pop/rock song to use guitar feedback.
So, I was wrong.

Distortion's not the main thing. The main thing is that the first few Kinks hits sorta sound like what punk sounded like later on. It's all guitars and bass and drums and thrash and intense.

Back