Post your latest purchase!

I've been trying to find a guitar tone I really like. I've been plugging in and just hitting record for too long. This guy has been a big help.

image1.jpeg

finally rolled across a Strat Hardtail body for cheap. Seems ARCHER guitars makes them.

String through body and all, basswood is ok for the price, like new guitar but I just wanted the body for a project Strat.

Black and string through HardTail.....

next some cool pickups, Eric Johnsons set or something and then a vintage yellow-tinted maple neck with upper end high-ratio locking tuners has been on my mind a long time. Even a Fender Hardtail hardware isn't much cost $15 for possible better metal.

$59..... sweet and mint condition

kind of surprised it came with 3 single coils, a 3 Ply pickguard and a 12" Radius Maple neck with rough edges on frets, medium jumbo.

$64 with tax..lol

Attachments

• hardtail strat.png
    hardtail strat.png
    642.4 KB · Views: 2
Finally got the SM57 I've been needing. $45 off CL, like new, box, bag, clip, not a fake (originally from B&H). Patience is not my long suit but I knew there had to be one out there.

2018-05-31 09.13.13.jpg

aw dude everyone has to have a 57. :)
I know!

But, the first mics I got were two Beta 57a's - they're newer/better, right? Well, opinions, but they are just about as versatile and I used them on vocals and guitar amps and even drums in a pinch for a few years. But, I had one occasion not long ago where I had one on the floor in front of a guitar amp in a very tight space, with a floor monitor only a couple feet in front of it. The super-cardioid pattern on the Beta caused it to pick up the guitar amp twice! The initial signal, of course, but also what was getting picked up by a vocal mic and then coming back out the floor monitor (coming in through that tiny little bit of s-c pattern that sticks out the back). I had unwanted slapback that was a pain to try and remove. Well, I couldn't actually remove it, but I finally was able to make it less noticeable by having to edit the vocal track like crazy to remove every vocal gap so the "slapback" guitar was only there when there was actual singing, so not so noticeable. I've been looking for a plain 'ol 57 ever since :).

Whoo Hoo! Just picked up a 64 to 66 Fender blackface Showman with cabinet.
Gotta check the date codes on the transformers to fully verify exact date.
Only have one speaker in the 2x12 cabinet right now. But even so, what a fucking glorious fender tone. :D
Big, round, glassy and clean, with a hint of breakup at reasonable volume levels.

Looking forward to the next rehearsal. .....Except for carrying it. It's a heavy bastard. :D

Only have one speaker in the 2x12 cabinet right now. But even so, what a fucking glorious fender tone. :D
Big, round, glassy and clean, with a hint of breakup at reasonable volume levels.

Looking forward to the next rehearsal. .....Except for carrying it. It's a heavy bastard. :D

Cool: :thumbs up:

A few days ago I jammed with some guys, and they had a real old Twin there for me...so I never even took my amp out of my car.
Heavy and loud.

I didn't even break out any pedals to try and get some easier crunch out of it...just played it straight for about 3 hours.
My ears were ringing...though I think it was from the PA speakers they had set up...one was aimed right at me. :eek:

Nice! I have a '64 blackface but it is blond. It has the JBL 15' speaker. I had a minimal amount of the caps replaced. Most of them are original.

Love the tone on that amp. It really starts to sing above 7 on the volume. I am running it with a '63 fender reverb tank.

Cool: :thumbs up:

A few days ago I jammed with some guys, and they had a real old Twin there for me...so I never even took my amp out of my car.
Heavy and loud.

I didn't even break out any pedals to try and get some easier crunch out of it...just played it straight for about 3 hours.
My ears were ringing...though I think it was from the PA speakers they had set up...one was aimed right at me. :eek:

I believe the showman was pretty much based on a twin chassis. A twin 'head' if you will.

On both, the cleans, as well as the weight, has a lot to do with the massive transformers used.
Mine has the original cab which is the 2 x12, rather than the more common 1X 15 with the floating "Tone Ring"; baffle. It used to belong to Santana, back when he actually had good tone :). Not that that matters, but it's icing.
Celeb ownership aside, on it's own, it's a great amp.

Nice! I have a '64 blackface but it is blond. It has the JBL 15' speaker. I had a minimal amount of the caps replaced. Most of them are original.

Love the tone on that amp. It really starts to sing above 7 on the volume. I am running it with a '63 fender reverb tank.

Cool. How loud is that thing on 7 when it starts to sing?

I believe the showman was pretty much based on a twin chassis. A twin 'head' if you will.

On both, the cleans, as well as the weight, has a lot to do with the massive transformers used.
Mine has the original cab which is the 2 x12, rather than the more common 1X 15 with the floating "Tone Ring"; baffle. It used to belong to Santana, back when he actually had good tone :). Not that that matters, but it's icing.
Celeb ownership aside, on it's own, it's a great amp.

Obviously not a new purchase, but with all the Twin talk I figured I'd put up a picture of my '97 "The Twin". I actually mic'd it and recorded it for the first time ever yesterday, and bought it new 19 years ago :facepalm:

35297865_10156197855826327_5136499187700989952_n.jpg

I'd love to hear the results Johnny. A great sounding Fender amp and a mic is a combination that is hard to beat.

wow...19yrs and finally got a recording deal.... :guitar:
the TWIN.... did the 57 handle it?
I got my Fender Amps book off the shelf recently. What a line of amps the Twin always a staple.

I ordered a brand new neck, biflex truss, vintage tinted maple 12" radius. $55.....I just got boned on a CL neck for $50...looked ok but found frets had been poorly filed and turss nut stripped (i bought it in a parking lot after dirnking too many beers)...

so now basically Im in $155 on this Squier guitar that cost $99, that had a great neck but finally wore down in the cowboy chord area of frets 2,3,4.... for some reason I just couldnt throw away or sell the bad neck Squier but probably should have. I'll then compare to the other guitars, and continue down this hole into the abyss of as Joe Walsh wrote "Ball of Confusion" ... why not?

Eventually I will look back and realize I could have just bought a mint US something Fender with everything perfect and rolled edges...but that would require ..nevermind:wtf:

Attachments

• new neck 51.png
    new neck 51.png
    484.5 KB · Views: 1
How about the recorded tone? Are you having to mix/process it much?

It takes less work to mix now for sure. I got a few new pieces of gear, not that buying stuff fixes everything of course but it gives you options for tone shaping. Just learning to use the tone knob on my guitar has made a difference :p

I guess I'm on an amp kick lately. Another one followed me home today.

A 1964 Sears BXL200 bass head and cab. Not silvertone branded, but Sears.

Originally I was interested in just the speakers. It has 4. Two twelves and Two fifteens. They have aluminum dustcaps so the hope for vintage JBLs was present. Alas.....they're not.

The owner said the speakers all worked but wasn't sure about the head.

But at 50 bucks, how bad could it be??

To my suprise, it works! And it sounds good!!
So I guess I got a new vintage bass amp.
:thumbs up:

I'm purchasing tele parts. I'm putting together a tele partscaster. I have had the neck and body for 2 or 3 years. I just never got inspired to get to work on it. Well, I have done most of the drilling, routing, and sanding on the body. I'm going to seal it, prime it, and paint it gold firemist metallic. I have already tinted the neck with amber shellac and topped it off with a bit of clear lacquer. It's a killer neck. Allparts 9.5 radius with a very dark rosewood board. The head stock is a no hole with the truss adjustment at the heel. It going to be patterned after a late 60's tele. (Firemist gold metallic was introduced in 1966)
I have everything I need to complete the guitar except the pickups. Muttley is going to make me a set for this guitar.

Back