Post your latest purchase!

Recently picked up a pair of Rapco ADB+8 direct boxes for my first stereo pair of DIs. Already got one on a recording and it sounds great. It's so nice to have a stereo pair for things like keyboards etc. I started with a handful of Radio Shack impedance converters, added a DOD 265 then a Whirlwind Director, a Rapco DB100 and finally a Live Wire Solutions active. That first active was an improvement over the passives for a lot of stuff but the Rapco ADB+8 is so much better.

Now I just need to get a Countryman Type 85, a BSS AR-133, an L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic, one of those fancy Fishmans with the eq and stuff, a selection of Radials and some Jensen equipped passives.

Recently picked up a pair of Rapco ADB+8 direct boxes for my first stereo pair of DIs. Already got one on a recording and it sounds great. It's so nice to have a stereo pair for things like keyboards etc. I started with a handful of Radio Shack impedance converters, added a DOD 265 then a Whirlwind Director, a Rapco DB100 and finally a Live Wire Solutions active. That first active was an improvement over the passives for a lot of stuff but the Rapco ADB+8 is so much better.

Now I just need to get a Countryman Type 85, a BSS AR-133, an L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic, one of those fancy Fishmans with the eq and stuff, a selection of Radials and some Jensen equipped passives.

Curious - what do you do with so many di boxes? ps I checked out your site a while back and liked the audio and the pix of the sessions. the recording in the round ones were pretty cool :-)

PC2A compressor for Sonar. And a couple sets of Elixer 11-49 nano electric strings. Immediate improvement over the DR 10-46's I had on there before. Damn things wouldn't stay in tune for shit.

I'm on a low budget. :(

About those Radial DI's..... get a couple JDI's or the stereo one and don't look back. That device is really great.

Curious - what do you do with so many di boxes?

Options. Sometimes ground loops will cause one to hum but not another. And they sound a bit different. I've recently compared the BSS, Countryman and Rapco on a bass. The Countryman seemed the most "accurate" while the BSS sounded a bit bigger on the low end and had a general sweetness and some sort of high frequency shine. The Rapco sounded clean, pretty close to the Countryman but maybe more aggressive and somehow less solid. At different times I've also tried my Live Wire Solutions active, several passives and a Solo 610.

While the bass ended up with the Type 85 and the pedal steel got the softer and warmer Solo 610 I ended up using two on the guitar to give me reamping options (Vintage Tele -> Rapco active DI -> Tube Screamer -> Sansamp -> BSS active DI) for a total of four DIs.

Options. Sometimes ground loops will cause one to hum but not another. And they sound a bit different. I've recently compared the BSS, Countryman and Rapco on a bass. The Countryman seemed the most "accurate" while the BSS sounded a bit bigger on the low end and had a general sweetness and some sort of high frequency shine. The Rapco sounded clean, pretty close to the Countryman but maybe more aggressive and somehow less solid. At different times I've also tried my Live Wire Solutions active, several passives and a Solo 610.

While the bass ended up with the Type 85 and the pedal steel got the softer and warmer Solo 610 I ended up using two on the guitar to give me reamping options (Vintage Tele -> Rapco active DI -> Tube Screamer -> Sansamp -> BSS active DI) for a total of four DIs.

Oooh - I never thought of that - you mean you recorded the same guitar through several different devices at the same time if i'm following you? Cool idea - anyway - your stuff sounds cool :-)

Oooh - I never thought of that - you mean you recorded the same guitar through several different devices at the same time if i'm following you? Cool idea - anyway - your stuff sounds cool :-)

Yeah, the Sansamp was there so the Tele player could have control of his live sound and the Rapco DI was there to get the signal before that so I could recreate the amplified sound. The guitar, bass and pedal steel played live together through PA speakers to drums which were already recorded.

I got a tube screamer a few weeks back. I use it to supplement the clean and distorted channels on the Mesa DC-5, depending on the situation. Tube screamer + distorted channel provides a nice solo sound. Sometimes I use the tube screamer on my clean channel for a bluesy sound. Anyway, it's a pretty cost efficient way to improve your options IMO.

Bought this yesterday!

ren_maxx_400.jpg

It's on sale at Musician's Friend for like $120. :) Link if anyone is interested!

Waves Renaissance Maxx Native Bundle | Musician's Friend

Back