Paul McCartney Carpool Karaoke really awesome walk down Pauls memory lane!

Paul was always my favorite Beatle. :)

The whole recording thing for me really started to make sense when he released his first solo album, which I thought was great at the time.
I then read the info about it (back then it was all from magazines, hardcopy...no internet)...and it talked about how he did it at home, track by track (OK, maybe a little help from other folks)....and that's when the bulb went on in my head. I suddenly saw that there was this other way of recording, not just with a full band, in a big studio. That it was possible to do it on your own. Of course, it was still all pretty naïve...but it was the spark for me.
Even though I had played around with a small tape deck before that, just messing around...I never considered an actual home studio rig until that first McCartney album. I think that even for him, that was like a big deal...to do it solo, with no more Beatles or George Martin around.

A few years later I had 4-track and 2-track tape decks, a small mixer, a few mics...and that was the start of it all.
Thank you Paul! :cool:

Paul was always my favorite Beatle. :)

The whole recording thing for me really started to make sense when he released his first solo album, which I thought was great at the time.

Yep me too on both accounts...My mind changed many years later when I got ahold of a ton of raw Beatle studio tracks and gained a whole new appreciation for John and his genius...

I was 17 in 1970 when McCartney "Bowl full of Cherries" was released, I was just learning how to play keys..... I wore that album out ...Junk owned me both versions... I play a version of it every now and then ...surprises me how many people have never heard it....

Your comments on him recording it at home got me curious as that as how I remembered the story too...looks like yes it was but it was also mixed and remixed and engineered a few times before release...cool wiki HERE

Junk / Sing along Junk

Your comments on him recording it at home got me curious as that as how I remembered the story too...looks like yes it was but it was also mixed and remixed and engineered a few times before release...cool wiki HERE

There is a bit more info on the album recording in this one: McCartney (album) - Wikipedia

This is where the "4-track" thing hit home and stuck in my head for the next few years until I got my 4-track.
I considered the TEAC 4-track for awhile, but I ended up getting an Akai 4-track with basically the same features/capabilities, and then I added an Akai 2-track, after using a cassette deck for awhile to mix down to.
The Akai decks had great heads on them using crystal ferrite "glass" heads instead of metal heads, they didn't wear...and the cool (unplanned) thing with the two Akai decks, is I realized that the tracks lined up "perfectly".
IOW, I would record on the 4-track and then mix down to the 2-track, and then simply take the reel off the 2-track, and put it on the 4-track deck...and the tracks lined up! :)
Granted, nothing was properly calibrated or aligned (not that I knew at the time anything about tape deck calibrations anyway), but for me it just worked ...so I was able to then add 2 more tracks, skipping one bounce generation.

But yeah...it all "clicked" for me following that McCartney album and reading about what/how he did it...realizing that his basic rig was within reach.

Man....watched the whole clip and got totally immersed in it. Paul's voice is pretty much on the way out.....but it didn't matter at all. After all these years.......those songs still get to me and make me happy. Who knew that was going to be an important time.......when we were young musicians and music lovers.

Guys....don't hold this against me but I started out as an accordion player. (At least that taught me how to read music and play a keyboard). Started at an early age. (I'm from an Italian family.....get it?) By the time The Beatles hit the radio when I was 11.....I was already looking to change to guitar. That first Ed Sullivan show launched my guitar career fever. I pestered my parents to buy me a guitar.......on the promise that I would keep my accordion lessons going. They got me a cheap no name pretty much unplayable guitar from a discount store called EJ Corvettes. As soon as I learned the D chord......the accordion was in my past!!

Last edited:
I worked part time at the EJ Korvettes in Camp Hill PA for a brief time. Small appliances mostly but once in a while in the record department. That was the best because there was a noticeable age difference between the ladies buying blenders and those getting a rock’n’roll record ;).

I worked part time at the EJ Korvettes in Camp Hill PA for a brief time. Small appliances mostly but once in a while in the record department. That was the best because there was a noticeable age difference between the ladies buying blenders and those getting a rock’n’roll record ;).

Oh.....yes...right.....spelled with a K and not a C. Man that store seemed to have a little of everything by the time they went out of business. It was where you went to buy records in my town........mostly 45's for me I recall. I just realized I can't remember where or how I got my first Beatles album (Meet The Beatles). I do remember that it looked VERY strange along side my fathers Sinatra and big band records.

In 1962 I was 9 and my youngest sister was 17 a junior in high school. She was Beatle Crazy I mean posters all over her room..she was gaga goo goo over them...me being the atypical little brother thought she was weird and silly and that them there English long hairs was pretty weird too. But Beatlemania was just getting started and the next thing I knew Joe Guzalo down the street was putting on a concert in his back yard lip syncing to Beatles tunes and he and his "band" with brooms as guitars and ( seriously) mops on their heads put on a show that was pretty damn entertaining...hmmm? The chicks kinda dug it and the tunes were kind of catchy cool...

Well flash forward a few years an there were the Monkeys and the Beatles were the bomb diddy bomb bomb and I was slowly being converted from a white collared conservative catholic school boy to one of there damn hippies! :eek:

By16 I was smoking pot and getting hipper than hip...the horror of it all...Fricking the Doors, Jimmy, Janis what's a poor boy to do.... Had my Muntz 8 track and some killer speakers... life was good...

Yep the Beatles blew down the doors and swept the world away into a new era of music and lifestyles....

Back