The Other Hobby - Video Games

andrushkiwt

Alright, in between work, grad school, music, and home life, I spend a lot of time on games. Mostly, nowadays, Call Of Duty - been playing that one since CoD4MW. I've had every one except for AW, and spent hundreds of hours on them. I also like Civilization, the Elder Scrolls games, NHL series, Hitman, and, one of my all-time favs, Splinter Cell. I play exclusively on XB1, I don't like KB&M. Need a controller in my hands.

Anyone else game? What do you play? I'm talking to YOU strat! With your GTA knockoff ;) hehe

LOL! You tried ^. :p

I game a little. Got into playing Rust for a while but quickly ended up maintaining plugs and being admin on a server, so that took over gameplay time.
I don't play at all now, and I don't maintain a server anymore, but I wrote a few community-mod plugins and maintain those.

I never really get longevity out of AAA titles. I mean, I've played the CODs up to about Black Ops 2 and other franchises like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed but...idk they seem to get less satisfying the more there are, and I never really got into the online multiplayer thing on consoles.

These days if I'm going to game for relaxation or fun it'll probably be something solo like The Long Dark, or some point+click adventure.

Oh, I played Hitman Absolution - Thought it was great. Might pick up the 'new' one some time.

Oh, I played Hitman Absolution - Thought it was great. Might pick up the 'new' one some time.

I need to get the newer Hitman's. I think the last one was a weird online thing, and that's why I steered away from it. You had to buy the chapters or something, then download them. I don't know, didn't sound too cool.

I need to get the newer Hitman's. I think the last one was a weird online thing, and that's why I steered away from it. You had to buy the chapters or something, then download them. I don't know, didn't sound too cool.

Oh yeah, that sounds like it sucks.
I'd only really bother if it was a full-game like Absolution. Ugh, I just looked on steam and you're right; The 2016 instalment is in a million bits.
I really hate this episodic trend that's going on. Not going to bother now.

I got bored with CODs after about 6 of them from about your start point.

I've just bought Far Cry 5 but I'm not loving it so far - early days.

Best game I've bought in years was Horizon Zero Dawn - epic solo battles with huge monster robots that it could take you 30 minutes to wear down.

Didn't see this thread till just now. Yeah i'm a gamer, my big thing is chess really i play just about every day, it fascinates me that i have no natural ability for it, and i don't get any better no matter how much i play. Video games i'm all on the pc, i like RTS games alot; age of empires series, starcraft, warhammer...I've played League of Legends since the beta test...When i'm not into intense competition i'll run around in guild wars 2...I buy alot of games from Steam when they are ridiculously low priced, most just get played a few hours and take up hard drive space. I have a ps3 and many of what are considered the great games-red dead redemption, mass effect but after a few days of not playing i have no idea what i was doing and lose interest. I'm too old and slow for the online shooter stuff, i like watching people play, but i can barely tell the good guys from the bad. I'd be the idiot that would be obliviously friendly firing his own team...E sports has already arrived, i've attended events at madison square garden, and down in florida, it's a good excuse to travel and with good commentary watching games live can be nearly as good as a real sporting event.

...E sports has already arrived, i've attended events at madison square garden, and down in florida, it's a good excuse to travel and with good commentary watching games live can be nearly as good as a real sporting event.

I do wonder how big this'll get. It was on cable TV, (TBS?) just last year.

I do wonder how big this'll get. It was on cable TV, (TBS?) just last year.

I worked in live sports broadcasting for over 10 years, e sports even 5+ years ago were drawing college football numbers on the net. League of Legends has 40-80k watching live every weekend, not to mention viewers after the fact. It already is huge-it's kind of like Christian rock-there's a giant scene going on that you might not even notice unless you look.

I quit when I had kids. Gaming is time consuming and I was still playing for a while and noticed I no longer had time for music. And then I was like fuck that I am playing music instead. No more gaming.

Love it though. I liked real time strategy games. Command and conquer. Starcraft. Total war, etc. Those games are my jam. Civ is cool too - to a lesser extent.

I have played a little pinball lately. My brother has 5 pinball machines. Pinball is actually way more complex and strategy-oriented than people realize. There are some new games that are super deep - Like Dialed In and Game of Thrones. Awesome games. The greatest of all time is Star Trek the Next Generation IMO.

I have played a little pinball lately. My brother has 5 pinball machines. Pinball is actually way more complex and strategy-oriented than people realize. There are some new games that are super deep - Like Dialed In and Game of Thrones. Awesome games. The greatest of all time is Star Trek the Next Generation IMO.

Could never get into pinball. Billiards? yup. Have my own stick and can run a rack in 8-ball 1/2 the time. To me, pinball is like bowling...I'll do it, if I have to.

I play the Elder Scrolls games way more than I should, especially since getting Elder Scrolls Online last year. I started with Oblivion, then Morrowind, then Skyrim, and then Arena, before finally getting ESO. I have the free Daggerfall download but haven't installed it yet, nor do I have any of the spinoffs like Redguard and the others.

I'm also an avid fan of Atari 2600 games from way back, although I haven't played in a while. Aside from the few 2600 adventure games, I like the 2600 version of Millipede-- and, speaking of pinball, 2600 Video Pinball, which I used to be able to play indefinitely; I would have to just quit after playing it for hours to surpass the maximum score.

Adventure and role-playing games are my favorite, though, including the Ultima series, the Zork series and other text adventures, and assorted games for PC, Nintendo, Amiga, Atari, and Commodore computers.

...I started with Oblivion, then Morrowind...

Backwards? Morrowind was my first RPG, back on the original xbox in 2004'ish. Great game. Spent countless hours wandering that world, doing all the guilds, fighting Dageth Ur at the end of the main mission. Had a crazy green/glass sword and armour. Oh, and that turtle that bought items from you for like 10x the price? Ha. Good times.

Backwards?

Yep, I hadn't heard of TES until Oblivion came out and everyone at the AtariAge forum started gushing and raving about it. I didn't buy it right away because of the price, but after a few months of listening to everyone talking about it I finally gave in.

I think I picked up the Morrowind:GOTY edition shortly after that-- or I may have bought Morrowind first at a discount but then had never played it, which was something I frequently did back then. When I finally did try Morrowind it didn't sit well with me at first, because the graphics and gameplay seemed so much cruder than Oblivion's. But it grew on me in a big way, and now I like it a lot.

I grabbed the free Arena download after that, but gave it up after about 30 minutes of trying to figure out how to get around the Imperial Dungeon and survive.

Then I got Skyrim as soon as it came out, and played it during all of my free time.

After getting a new computer and taking a break from TES while I got back into music, bought a better keyboard, and started learning about DAWs and MIDI, a couple of years ago I started missing Morrowind. So I installed my standalone version of Morrowind on my new computer, then eventually bought the Steam versions of Morrowind:GOTY and Oblivion:GOTY so I could play them on my desktop computer and then continue my games on my laptop while traveling, as I was already able to do with Skyrim.

That led to a rekindled curiosity about Arena, Daggerfall, Redguard, and Battlespire. (I don't count any of the mobile games, since there's no way I can get them and play them.) I grabbed the free downloads of Arena and Daggerfall again, installed Arena on my new computer, and took the time to learn how to play it. It took a while, but I finally made it out of the Imperial Dungeon and got through the main quest with a lot of help from the UESPwiki. I haven't installed Daggerfall yet, because I started replaying Arena with the intention of mapping all of the towns and making a list of what each merchant has for sale.

Then I finally broke down and bought the Elder Scrolls Online while Bethesda was having a sale. I got the "Guilds and Glory" bundle that includes four DLCs, plus the Morrowind chapter. That pretty much began taking up all of my waking hours for a few months. I finally got to the point where I didn't feel like I had to play it for hours on end every day, except that every so often Bethesda has a special event (as is the case right now) where you can earn experience points at twice the normal rate, obtain special quest rewards, etc., and I get sucked back in again trying to make the most of the special rewards.

Morrowind was my first RPG, back on the original xbox in 2004'ish. Great game. Spent countless hours wandering that world, doing all the guilds, fighting Dageth Ur at the end of the main mission. Had a crazy green/glass sword and armour. Oh, and that turtle that bought items from you for like 10x the price? Ha. Good times.

He isn't a turtle, he's a mudcrab! :) I didn't learn about him until after I'd been playing Morrowind for a few years-- I was looking through the UESPwiki and came across a reference to him, so I had to go find him since he gives the best prices. There's also a scamp who gives good prices. Before I learned about them I would usually go to the merchant on Solstheim in Raven Rock, because he seems to give the best prices out of all the other humanoid merchants-- or else he just has the most money on hand.

If I ever get back into TES, I know who to contact :) AH YAH MUDCRAB! hah, you're right. On an island too...had to swim to get to him. Just genius. I have to say, the assassin's guild was definitely my favorite...all the weird messages and hidden stuff. Or maybe I'm getting that mixed up with the main story. I remember doing both at the same time. In some weird basement where all these assassin's are hanging out, punching bags and whatever hung up on the walls. Man, wish I had the time to get into it again.

How about Tropico? Close to Civ, in a way.

Assassin's guild-- do you mean the Dark Brotherhood who were trying to kill you, or the Morag Tong who gave you writs to assassinate people? :)

Never heard of Tropico until now.

Assassin's guild-- do you mean the Dark Brotherhood who were trying to kill you, or the Morag Tong who gave you writs to assassinate people? :)

Never heard of Tropico until now.

Oh crap, you got me. Not sure. Well, I def did Morag Tong, because I completed all guild quests. And yeah, I'm probably confusing it with D.B. Give Tropico a try, really fun game.

Pinball is awesome, played many hours at the corner cafe as a kid. Got 4 people? Team up and play flippers.

I can't do a gaming console. Wife has asked many times if I wanted one as a Christmas or B-day gift. No way, too addictive. How do I know? I used to play Medal of Honor on the computer. Allied Assault, Spearhead, Breakthrough, man I spent hours upon hours playing through the missions until eventually going online to play against other knucklehead addicts. Did a Microsoft update and the authentication security code was no longer valid for game play. Bummer. Yeah, I miss it sometimes, shrugging off the world and getting lost in first person shoot 'em up. But i'll never get those hours back. Ever did a 12 hour session of some serious pwnage? Yeah, me neither, maybe. :facepalm:

Back