OK GO's 4.2 second video of "The one moment" pretty tricky

TAE

All you have is now
They shoot this well planned 4.2 second video and then slow it waaaaaay down to a @ 3:40 minute video for their latest song...ultra tricky

"The One Moment"

Is it real, though? There is one part where a guy is turning a handwheel that is doing the 'flip pages', and he is lipsynching with the sung vocals for a short period. And if that 'flip pages' things was real, it would be moving around at a very high speed, possibly creating a moire-speed effect with the camera's speed.

Is it real, though?

I do believe it is a really a 4.2 second video slowed waaaaaaay down...

that said, and I don't know this for fact but.... I suspect, as you, that there is definitely some CG and other "fiddling about magic" going on to make some of the stuff in the clip work

I do believe it is a really a 4.2 second video slowed waaaaaaay down...

that said, and I don't know this for fact but.... I suspect, as you, that there is definitely some CG and other "fiddling about magic" going on to make some of the stuff in the clip work

For sure. Just think of the frame rate issue, to start - slowing down to 1/100 speed, normal HD frame rate would look like stop-action claymation.

What's odd in that video is that there are sections where a couple of the guys are floating...but some of the loose objects are laying on the floor rolling around.

I know there is a short time limit for that weightlessness state...IOW...it's not long enough to cover a three minute song...so the plane would ned to do mor than one loop to get all the shots in, which means they had to do some editing to make it all look seamless...but yeah, watch when all the balls end up on the floor...and they just lay there while the guy is floating.

Still...way cool video...but IMHO...I think these kinds of videos make the music almost irrelevant...so then that's the question, do you want to promote your music or some cool visuals.
There are some cases where the cool visuals really support and boost the appeal of the music...but I think for the most part, they get in the way again.

Still...way cool video...but IMHO...I think these kinds of videos make the music almost irrelevant...so then that's the question, do you want to promote your music or some cool visuals.
There are some cases where the cool visuals really support and boost the appeal of the music...but I think for the most part, they get in the way again.

I was thinking the same thing. It's a great video concept (and execution) but comes across, to me at least, as more novelty and/or gimmick than artistic statement. It cheapens whatever message is in the music.

I've always enjoyed OK Go's videos. I'm mild about their music, but it's not bad. Sure it's a gimmick, but it's entertaining to me.

There's a behind-the-scenes video for this one, and it's pretty interesting. It sounds like they had to film it in sections because there aren't robotic cameras that can move fast enough to have kept up with all of the shot tracking. But it looks seamless, so I'm not sure where the cuts would be.

And remember that there are high-speed cameras that go up to something like 10K frames per second. They used something way faster than a 30p or 100p frame rate for this. Jeez, just think of how much light they'd have needed for that short of an exposure time on the camera! It must have been blindingly bright in there.

What's odd in that video is that there are sections where a couple of the guys are floating...but some of the loose objects are laying on the floor rolling around.

I know there is a short time limit for that weightlessness state...IOW...it's not long enough to cover a three minute song...so the plane would need to do more than one loop to get all the shots in, which means they had to do some editing to make it all look seamless...but yeah, watch when all the balls end up on the floor...and they just lay there while the guy is floating.

Well, everything after the 3:15 mark was not in the original 4.2s clip, so it's presumed that the slowed down footage has ended and the remainder of the video is just whatever, which is obvious where the singer walks, lip syncing under the umbrella. That was obviously shot at, or very close to, playback speed, as it would just be impossible for a human to move that far that fast.

If you think about it, they only stated "Here's the same moment slowed down," but 'here is' could refer to only a few select portions of the video, so they're not being inherently dishonest.

I agree, but if you wanna get popular these days, you've gotta have that strong visual element. You won't hook the kids with music, those days are long gone.
But, on the other hand, if the music is what you want, there's a ton of other more lucrative places to look than OK Go videos. Maybe we're also a little dazzled by the spectacle?

Well, everything after the 3:15 mark was not in the original 4.2s clip...

I was actually talking about the airplane weightlessness video.

I agree, but if you wanna get popular these days, you've gotta have that strong visual element. You won't hook the kids with music, those days are long gone.

I think it all depends on the fan base you want to draw.
I do believe there are still lots of people who actually listen to the music, and can focus on that, and be satisfied without any video...but yes, there is that YT crowd that is more drawn to video gimmickry and spectacle.

As I said...I only like music videos when they actually make sense of the music...but I real cool video is still a cool video, even i you ignore the music. My point was that bands...musicians...need to consider how much a "cool video" is helping or distracting from their music...if they care about the music.

I think it all depends on the fan base you want to draw.
I do believe there are still lots of people who actually listen to the music, and can focus on that, and be satisfied without any video...

I know but when I said "popular" I meant "quit day job popular."

I'm not convinced videos are the end-all of music promotion. Most people listen to music on their portable devices and in their cars. They're usually not watching/streaming videos. The video may help expose someone to a new band (thinking how Tool's "Sober" drew a million new fans instantaneously thanks to MTV's headbanger's ball), but it's the music that ends up selling the record, concert ticket, and continues the interest for that fan since most of their time with the band will be solely with the music.

No Doubt's "Don't Speak" with Adam Jones directing the video would be a disservice to No Doubt, and obviously Adam Jones. :p The music and video still need to jive, and I don't see colors and (colorful) explosions bringing any deeper meaning to OK Go's video. In this case, the gimmicky video helps bring relevance to an otherwise bland music track. But they're as connected to one another as vinegar is to oil. They're merely being housed in the same bottle and exist separately unless you shake (yourself) vigorously.

I was just watching Tesseract's "Hexes" video and realized it's the perfect example of a mediocre video hurting a very solid piece of music. So this reliance on video promotion can backfire too, if the video sucks.

With today's ADD kids, they don't watch a video for long, but may let the music play out while they are walking/talking/doing something else.

...but may let the music play out while they are walking/talking/doing something else.

It's not just the kids doing that...and then then makes the music even less relevant.
Their attention span for the video is too short, they probably flip around from video to video...and/or the music just becomes sonic wallpaper, while they do other things.

Though I also think a lot of music is so sound-alike...that it's no wonder it can't hold all the attention of the listener.

IMO...first the music needs to grab the listener. That's what should bring them to the table...and then, the videos should be like the bonus experience.
Heck...many songs I like, I only heard...and then later found music videos for them, and then it was kinda cool, if the videos were good and/or relevant to the music....they added to the music, rather than to be used as a carrot, with the hope that the video would create the interest for the music....but it seems to be the opposite.

So I still think that if you are a musician...the music has to be the draw...and you shouldn't let visuals become the primary focus. They should be the support mechanism for the music.

Though I also think a lot of music is so sound-alike...that it's no wonder it can't hold all the attention of the listener..

It's pretty much because of the way kids click from song to song. I think most musicians putting their stuff online are hyper conscious of keeping the listener's attention; like bringing the vocal out right away if there is one, and not letting an instrumental section last too long, keep the song short etc. "You'll lose the listener!" is the mantra you see here and other musicians' boards. So now there's this glut of totally interchangeable short, punchy, in-your-face songs.

Back