The oceans are sinking!

You know, i've heard there is an idea being circulated with law makers, tax/revenue counters, and the like.

Those hybrids use less fuel. They may be traveling the roads just as much as any run of the mill SUV, but given they use less fuel, and fuel is taxed at the pump, and some of the revenue from those taxes maintains infrastructure such as roads, hybrid drivers are not paying their fair share. So, the solution? An added tax to hybrid drivers. That added tax might well negate any savings in fuel costs.

I don't know why I find that funny, maybe it's the smugness of some of those hybrid driver's wokeness. :D

But when you really think about it, it does make sense. Hybrids should pay a separate tax for driving a vehicle that uses less fuel, and in turn pays less tax. Agreed?

I live in California and conservative talk radio has been saying that's going to happen for 15 years. I listen to them every two weeks when I'm putting $20 in the tank to fill her up.

But when you really think about it, it does make sense. Hybrids should pay a separate tax for driving a vehicle that uses less fuel, and in turn pays less tax. Agreed?

Yeah completely. And in 15 years when there are no internal combustion engines powering automibiles in this State we can reverse it.

lol

Go California!

15 years? Yeah, that's not going to happen without crushing prohibitive laws. Good luck with that. I foresee (even more) people in mass leaving California for other states where they can find the freedom they desire. Personally, I don't have a problem with hybrid cars, electric, internal combustion, whatever. I much prefer the individual having the freedom to choose what suits their needs and desires. I drive a Suburban, and get roughly 9 mpg, city, but it suits my needs. I love my Burb. Yeah, I wish it got better gas mileage, but if there was ever a collision between my suburban and your hybrid....sorry.

The problem with the exodus out of California to other states, many are already infected. They vote for the same over intrusive and very expensive government policies they sought to escape by leaving. Amazing. I think it's hilarious, California is all in a tizzy that they won't be able to deduct state taxes from their fed tax requirement. Hey California, you're a wealthy state,...you know the mantra...pay your fair share! But that's another topic altogether.

Is that political speak? My fault, apologies. We're getting off track here....

The oceans are sinking! :eek:

Yes. Why is industry and other governments(China and India, not small countries) moving towards renewable energy sources instead of using coal fired power plants?

Why? I don't know, to improve the air they breath, so they don't have to walk around wearing masks to filter out the filth in the air? They've been overdue to clean up their act. Even with "moving towards renewable energy sources", China is the number one worldwide CO2 producer. The use of coal is increasing, not decreasing.

Improving air quality and cleaning up the filth under you feet is not the same as having the proven ability to by the actions of mankind to manipulate global weather patterns, or to stop the climate from changing. Again, there have been many global climate changes throughout history, without question not related to mankind.

The millennium bug amounted to fuck all because it was prevented by large scale, coordinated action costing a shit load of money, time and effort - not because it was a hoax. It was fixed. You may have missed this subtle difference. Lots did.

This is what we were told LOL, for example all my crappy old computers just ticked over to 2000, we had been told they would stop working and we needed to buy year 2000 compliant. If fact as our time zone was 12 hours in front of the USA they were watching us to see if anything fell over here. The only thing falling over was the 1000s of people celebrating the arrival of the year 2000 :drunk:

However when you are asked to fill in forms stating that the equipment would not be affected by the millennium bug and the shipment is nuts and bolts and metal fabrication I think someone was making extra money out of it and taking the piss.

Alan

I'm just kind of shocked at the tax credit. I mean, come on, shouldn't doing the right thing be its own reward? We're talking saving the planet here people! The damn oceans are sinking and we're worried about a dang tax credit? :cursing:

I'm just kind of shocked at the tax credit. I mean, come on, shouldn't doing the right thing be its own reward? We're talking saving the planet here people! The damn oceans are sinking and we're worried about a dang tax credit? :cursing:

Well most teenage girls are worried about what colour nail polish to wear.

Yeah completely. And in 15 years when there are no internal combustion engines powering automibiles in this State we can reverse it.

Reverse it? Not following. If hybrids use less fuel, and thus pay less tax being that fuel is taxed at the pump, to reverse an added hybrid vehicle tax that compensates for the loss in infrastructure maintenance revenue would not make sense. Are we thinking this thing through logically? Hey, I dig rainbows and unicorns too, but.

While we have our thinking caps on: If there are no internal combustion engine automobiles 15 years from now in "this state", California, it'll strictly be electric vehicles? I mean, that's all well and fine, but California should maybe get its shit together before setting such lofty goals. It's all well and fine to present a facade of environmental friendly cutting edge, but where is California going to get all of the energy to power those electric vehicles? California currently imports from other states, what, roughly 25% of its needs? Of that 25%, roughly 75% of that imported energy is coal based energy production? For shame. California really should eliminate its dependence on coal energy, I mean really. And then 15 years from now there will be an even greater demand for energy when rather than pulling up to the pumps for gasoline everyone will be plugging vehicles into an electrical socket every night? Wow. What then?

Yeah, looks like that added tax for hybrid automobiles isn't going to be reversing, but multiplying significantly....that is if rising sea levels haven't sunk California into the sinking ocean by then. Thinking 15 years down the line, we really should take the very real possibility into consideration.

The oceans are sinking! :eek:

Last edited:
Hell, in 15 years, maybe Jerry Brown will be the prez. After Ca. is sunk he can now focus on the whole country.

Maybe his campaign slogan could be Make America Wet Again. MAWA instead of MAGA.
:D

If the succession thing worked out he'd actually be the President. Then the Donald could tweet about nuking Ca.
But wait, Ca. has plenty of nukes....

Hmmm.... That would be interesting.

But meanwhile......the oceans are still sinking. We haven't managed to solve that issue on this thread yet.

How many of the millions upon millions who believe whole heartedly, hook, line, and sinker in the existence of globing warming climate change have actually done any amount of research to support that belief? I'll posit, very very, very few. Do not question, 97% of experts agree, case closed.

This is what brainwashed looks like.

California putting on a fake feel-good facade of superior concern for the environment so seemingly ignorant citizens of the state can publicly lecture on the sins of coal based energy production, while the reality being California imports 25% of it's energy from other states, with 75% of that energy from burning coal.

Is this what brainwashed looks like, or hypocrisy?

I'm still waiting for someone to explain, why the fuck did Al Gore buy a beachfront mansion several years ago when at the time or well before he proclaimed it would be swallowed up by rising sea levels a few years ago? :D

What luck, who could have predicted, the oceans are sinking. :thumbs up:

This is what being brainwashed looks like.

I don't know who that is directed at. For me. I'm just having some fun in this thread. :D

Who you referring to, smiley? Oh, and you're now an expert in brainwashing as well?

Shoot, took a break from this place for a while, come back to the same crap. lol

I'm definitely not trying to be a dick here, Mick, but you already have your opinion on the matter and it's inflexible. What's the point of the thread? It sounds TO ME like you're proposing a question then just throwing out the talking points of your party. You don't care what other people think and you have no interest in learning anything new about what other people believe or what other States and Countries are doing to mitigate what's definitely happening on our planet and how we as a species are CONTRIBUTING NOT CAUSING to make it worse.

And don't get all butthurt because I am addressing you. I'm not attacking. I'm asking why you're bothering?

---------- Update ----------

Shoot, took a break from this place for a while, come back to the same crap. lol

It's just one member and sometimes miro.

Is that "It's just one member" me?

The point? Does there really need to be a profound point, other than just horsing around? I ran across an article, I thought it was funny. "The oceans are sinking!" :eek: At the risk of understatement, Prime Time is kind of slow. I thought I would share, maybe create little traffic in this place. I'm not taking this personal, I don't think any of us should. I realize that my style of writing can at times appear as if I am getting heated, but i'm not. Like our friend Supercreep used to say, reasonable people can disagree. I actually like you guys.

I don't get "butthurt", really. I just think when things get personal it distracts from the point, the fun, shit degrades, gets unnecessarily ugly, understandably the mods don't like it, threads get locked. They don't need that headache, and we're better than that. Besides, it's more of a personal challenge for us all to express sometimes a strong opinion without letting loose with a torrent of personal attacks towards those with whom we disagree. I may have maybe once or twice in my time here, but I don't report posts or run to the mods. I simply remind people sometimes to try not to make it personal, that's all. You asked, so...

Enough of that.

As far as taking a counter point into consideration....Earth's climate has changed many times in the past. I've yet to hear that point addressed by global warming climate change religionists.

Discuss.

As far as taking a counter point into consideration....Earth's climate has changed many times in the past. I've yet to hear that point addressed by global warming climate change religionists.

Discuss.

Not even once?

You don't care what other people think and you have no interest in learning anything new about what other people believe or what other States and Countries are doing to mitigate what's definitely happening on our planet and how we as a species are CONTRIBUTING NOT CAUSING to make it worse. .

Yeah, I read that, several times. Increasing font size and bolding, hm, not exactly helpful. Punctuation?

Try again, expound.

So you're a man-contributing global warming climate change rather than a "man made global warming climate change" believer? I'm not quite getting your point.

Back