Noo Yoik

I heard things have gone downhill in NYC since DeBlassio got in. Apparently street crime is seeing a massive surge?! All the stuff Guliani accomplished are being erased.

True/false??

Cheers! :)

The hookers, 42nd street XXX movies, and peep shows haven't made a big comeback yet....but one can only hope.

For anyone who's never been to NYC....and you're looking for the "big" sights...you could probably find that through any travel agency or just Google it, and then plan your stay and itinerary accordingly.

There's a LOT in NYC, and the surrounding 100 mile radius....then add Washington DC, and it will be overwhelming for any short/medium stay...so it really comes down to what's your main interest, and then of course, don't just do the main sights...give yourself time to absorb the day-to-day surrounding, 'cuz that's going to have as big an impact as will looking at statues and what have you.

For anyone who's never been to NYC....and you're looking for the "big" sights...you could probably find that through any travel agency or just Google it, and then plan your stay and itinerary accordingly.

There's a LOT in NYC, and the surrounding 100 mile radius....then add Washington DC, and it will be overwhelming for any short/medium stay...so it really comes down to what's your main interest, and then of course, don't just do the main sights...give yourself time to absorb the day-to-day surrounding, 'cuz that's going to have as big an impact as will looking at statues and what have you.

Yeah, I'm not looking for tips on the big sights - I already know about or can easily find out about them.

I'm mostly looking for advice on where to stay and where I might go for a day or two out of the city. Also, for tips on how to appreciate the less touristy side of the city. I'm planning to spend some time in each of the main non-Manhattan areas (Brooklyn, Queens, Harlem). The areas Greg listed above in south Manhattan were already on my radar for exploration.

One thing I do wonder: the big museums are 'Pay what you want' - how easy is it to just pay a small amount? I'm not really interested in them, but we might end up at the Met, for example - can I just pay $5 each or do they put pressure on you for the full suggested amount? Where I live we have the National Railway Museum, which is brilliant for my son - they advertise as being free, but then make you queue for a till and try and pressure you into a donation or buying some useless books - I'm pretty good at stomaching it there, but not sure how I'll fare when I'm a visitor to the country.

---------- Update ----------

Yeah, I'm not looking for tips on the big sights - I already know about or can easily find out about them.

I'm mostly looking for advice on where to stay and where I might go for a day or two out of the city. Also, for tips on how to appreciate the less touristy side of the city. I'm planning to spend some time in each of the main non-Manhattan areas (Brooklyn, Queens, Harlem). The areas Greg listed above in south Manhattan were already on my radar for exploration.

One thing I do wonder: the big museums are 'Pay what you want' - how easy is it to just pay a small amount? I'm not really interested in them, but we might end up at the Met, for example - can I just pay $5 each or do they put pressure on you for the full suggested amount? Where I live we have the National Railway Museum, which is brilliant for my son - they advertise as being free, but then make you queue for a till and try and pressure you into a donation or buying some useless books - I'm pretty good at stomaching it there, but not sure how I'll fare when I'm a visitor to the country.

That all said, I think I'm set on a hotel in Long Island City. I don't see much price difference in staying half an hour out of the city, unless anyone has any pointers.

The hookers, 42nd street XXX movies, and peep shows haven't made a big comeback yet....but one can only hope.
That was actually one of my favorite parts of old NYC. The dangerous seediness. The 3 am pervs around Times Square. It was a freakshow. I loved it.

That was actually one of my favorite parts of old NYC. The dangerous seediness. The 3 am pervs around Times Square. It was a freakshow. I loved it.

When you were at Times Square during this time, it was very interesting.

When I was in my teens...I use to chaperone my sister and one of her girlfriends into NYC once a week during the summer one year, so they could go take dance classes...and my mother wouldn't let them go alone.
The classes were on Broadway just up a few blocks from that main p0rn hub downtown (this is pre-Giuliani cleanup).
I would drop them off, and then I had 3 hours where I could walk down Broadway and maybe see a "good" movie ;) and check out some of freaks or the peep shows.

Shit, as a teen, that was great stuff back then. :p

Never been there, but another thing Johnny might be interested in that hasn't been mentioned: Food and beverage. Anybody know of any outstanding places? Great hole-in-the-wall, mom and pop, pizzerias? Elegant cuisine? Great hot dog carts? Clubs? Bars? Hangouts?
Hey Deep, list some interests so they can cue you up...you like Broadway or movie? Beer or martini? Country or blues? Bagels or croissants? Come on, man, New York's a big place!

Never been there, but another thing Johnny might be interested in that hasn't been mentioned: Food and beverage. Anybody know of any outstanding places? Great hole-in-the-wall, mom and pop, pizzerias? Elegant cuisine? Great hot dog carts? Clubs? Bars? Hangouts?
Hey Deep, list some interests so they can cue you up...you like Broadway or movie? Beer or martini? Country or blues? Bagels or croissants? Come on, man, New York's a big place!

Well, I don't drink and don't eat meat! I could happily go on a deli and street food tour for the whole ten days, though. I've been looking up the best street food and will be eating a lot of falafel, I think. Looking forward to some good pizza slices, too.

As I mentioned above, the Comedy Cellar will be the highlight and I might check out another comedy club or two (recommendations welcome here!). We'll probably check out a Broadway show if we can get last minute tickets to something acceptable (Avenue Q gets good mention on the travel sites) - I'm not particularly into musicals and hated The Book of Mormon (saw it in London - I never really like South Park either), but I don't mind a good play, as long as it's not pretentious - I really liked The Woman in Black, for example.

I saw the BB King Blues Club mentioned on Trip Advisor - some revue show somewhere like that could be fun. Blues over country, most likely, unless it's certain alt. country or old outlaw stuff (depends on the particular type of blues as well, of course).

I love science and technology - I'll probably swing by B&H Photo to have a look there and check out any related museums.

Maybe catch a show on Broadway, if you or the wife are into that sort of thing. I saw Wicked there, and it was pretty awesome.

In the old days, my work used to take me to NYC for 1 week at a time every six to eight weeks so I came to know it pretty well. The trouble is, it's a dynamic place and changes quickly so anything I can say may well be out of date.

First off, don't get too paranoid about violence and street crime. In 15 years of visiting every six weeks, I never once had a problem (except for being in a taxi that decided to have an accident). Do take normal precautions but don't let it spoil your trip.

Yes to the Empire State Building and I agree that night is a good time to see it...the lights go on forever. It costs money now but the next time your wife makes you watch Sleepless in Seattle you can say "I was there".

Personally, I wouldn't bother landing and going up the Statue of Liberty. It's best seen from a distance and is a bit boring inside. My advice is to avoid the expensive tourist boat and just jump on the (free) Staten Island Ferry. It goes right by the statue and gets you some great photos. There's also some gorgeous skylines from the boat, particularly if you go so you're coming back around dusk.

For another classic view, grab a taxi to the River Cafe just across the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan. Don't eat there--overpriced and so so food--but have a drink or two and enjoy another view that turns up in half the films you see about NYC.

Eat lunch at a deli. They're all good. Have corned beef on rye with a dill pickle and marvel at the amount of meat and size of the pickle. Deli cheesecake tends to be good too.

If you want to see a Broadway show and are willing to take your chances, line up at the Tkts booth in Times Square for cheap (well, less expensive) tickets for a same-day show. There's a TKTS web site that explains how it works.

I tried the "stay in New Jersey" thing last time I was there (I stayed with friends there) and twice in one trip a broken down train blocked the tunnel and caused many hours of delays. Just sayin'.

For hotels, MAYBE look at the Empire on Broadway near the Lincoln Center. It used to be okay but not quite as expensive as others in the same area...however I have to qualify this by saying I know it's been renovated since my last stay.

If you want to blow the budget on a "trip of a lifetime", the Ritz Carlton on Central Park Sound and Le Parker Meridien on W56th Street are both incredible but sit down before checking the prices. (Travelling on expenses was fun....)

I'll see if I can think of anything else.

Edited to Add: Yup. I thought of something else. Make sure you have good travel insurance that's valid in the USA for medical. The aforementioned taxi accident would have been a big problem without insurance...and the experience of being in Emergency with a bleeding head wound that nobody was treating until they knew they'd be paid was kinda sobering (and made me love the NHS even more).

If you can make it there. . . you can live like a millionaire anywhere else, cause it's very expensive to live in New York. Isn't that how the song goes?

In the old days, my work used to take me to NYC for 1 week at a time every six to eight weeks so I came to know it pretty well. The trouble is, it's a dynamic place and changes quickly so anything I can say may well be out of date.

First off, don't get too paranoid about violence and street crime. In 15 years of visiting every six weeks, I never once had a problem (except for being in a taxi that decided to have an accident). Do take normal precautions but don't let it spoil your trip.

Yes to the Empire State Building and I agree that night is a good time to see it...the lights go on forever. It costs money now but the next time your wife makes you watch Sleepless in Seattle you can say "I was there".

Personally, I wouldn't bother landing and going up the Statue of Liberty. It's best seen from a distance and is a bit boring inside. My advice is to avoid the expensive tourist boat and just jump on the (free) Staten Island Ferry. It goes right by the statue and gets you some great photos. There's also some gorgeous skylines from the boat, particularly if you go so you're coming back around dusk.

For another classic view, grab a taxi to the River Cafe just across the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan. Don't eat there--overpriced and so so food--but have a drink or two and enjoy another view that turns up in half the films you see about NYC.

Eat lunch at a deli. They're all good. Have corned beef on rye with a dill pickle and marvel at the amount of meat and size of the pickle. Deli cheesecake tends to be good too.

If you want to see a Broadway show and are willing to take your chances, line up at the Tkts booth in Times Square for cheap (well, less expensive) tickets for a same-day show. There's a TKTS web site that explains how it works.

I tried the "stay in New Jersey" thing last time I was there (I stayed with friends there) and twice in one trip a broken down train blocked the tunnel and caused many hours of delays. Just sayin'.

For hotels, MAYBE look at the Empire on Broadway near the Lincoln Center. It used to be okay but not quite as expensive as others in the same area...however I have to qualify this by saying I know it's been renovated since my last stay.

If you want to blow the budget on a "trip of a lifetime", the Ritz Carlton on Central Park Sound and Le Parker Meridien on W56th Street are both incredible but sit down before checking the prices. (Travelling on expenses was fun....)

I'll see if I can think of anything else.

Edited to Add: Yup. I thought of something else. Make sure you have good travel insurance that's valid in the USA for medical. The aforementioned taxi accident would have been a big problem without insurance...and the experience of being in Emergency with a bleeding head wound that nobody was treating until they knew they'd be paid was kinda sobering (and made me love the NHS even more).

Thanks for the tips, Bobbsy! Good detail. Yep, I'm all over the insurance thing - it was the first thing I checked, there's no way I'm going there without it.

My other half has never made me watch Sleepless in Seattle - I think I saw it once - isn't it set in Seattle?!

Thanks for the tips, Bobbsy! Good detail. Yep, I'm all over the insurance thing - it was the first thing I checked, there's no way I'm going there without it.

My other half has never made me watch Sleepless in Seattle - I think I saw it once - isn't it set in Seattle?!

Mostly in Seattle but the climax of the film is when Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan finally meet on the observation deck of the Empire State Building at closing time on Valentines Day. Can you tell I've been made to see it more often than is healthy? :)

Man there was this little hole-in-the-wall bar way down near Battery Park that I used to go to all the time and I can't remember the name of it, but it was awesome. It was like it was built just for me. There was old drag racing pictures everywhere, old football jerseys and shit, old rock and roll posters, and the jukebox was filled with obscure garage-rock oldies, trashy surf music, and vintage punk rock. God that place was awesome. So awesome. I wish I could remember what it's called. I really doubt it's still there, but that was the coolest bar I've ever been to. It was like super retro-cool way before the bearded flannel hipsters came along and made retro-cool lame and shitty..

Back