New cpr method psa

TAE

All you have is now
Quick 6 minute video that could save someone's life....

New improved way to perform CPR and damn easy...

I still have doubts about the effectiveness of this method, since there's no new oxygen being introduced. When the doc says "Oh the person actually has enough oxygen already that you don't need to do rescue breaths" just doesn't make sense. Wouldn't the equivalent amount of oxygen be like if I just started to hold my breath? Yeah I can hold it for a few minutes, but after that my body is screaming, and I'd imagine the unconscious person's body is the same way. If paramedics are 10+ minutes away, I just have doubts about how effective this method is. Make sense?

Obviously I'd want to use the best method, but I feel like I need more proof lol. I was actually researching a bunch of first-response stuff the other day, since I'm still in college and you never know what kinda crap can happen. It's best to be prepared. Gun/stab wounds, CPR, etc. I feel like it's great to know and be better prepared.

I learned a few things from watching it...even though I learned CPR 50 years ago in Scouts. The locking of the arms was a really good point as you won't tire out as easily in doing so. Maybe they taught that back then but I don't remember it.

Another was getting someone prepared ( if there is anyone ) to take over on the other side of the victim when you are getting tired.

Lastly that you need to release completely a few inches above the chest to let the chest fully expand...

Good stuff either way if you are going to do the regular or this type CPR. I think, If put in that situation, I'd stop every minute or so and try and get some air in em...Hope I never have to find out ...but glad I know what to do if I have to...

My GF is a registered nurse of 20+ years, as well as several friends who have to be annually certified for BLM and basic CPR [required by their employment]... I passed this video by them on FB, and was told this isn't the new *preferred* method, this is simply an alternative for people to assist if they don't have any training or, for whatever reason, won't/can't perform the mouth-to-mouth part. In the AHA documentation they refer to such people as 'lay rescuers'.

American Heart Association said:
Untrained lay rescuers should provide compression-only (Hands-Only) CPR, with or without dispatcher guidance, for adult victims of cardiac arrest. The rescuer should continue compression-only CPR until the arrival of an AED or rescuers with additional training. All lay rescuers should, at a minimum, provide chest compressions for victims of cardiac arrest. In addition, if the trained lay rescuer is able to perform rescue breaths, he or she should add rescue breaths in a ratio of 30 compressions to 2 breaths. The rescuer should continue CPR until an AED arrives and is ready for use, EMS providers take over care of the victim, or the victim starts to move.

As you see above, the preferred method is still the standard 30 to 2.

Back