NEED HELP: Amatuer home studio using NATIVE INSTRUMENTS drum machine software

morbid_47

Hey guys, im new to this website and music production so if i seem a little too slow on this topic its because i am. So last year i bought native instruments drum maschine and been sampling from youtube. I recently decided to step it up a notch and start, not only sampling vinyl, but to start scratching as well. And yes, if you havent figured it out, i am trying to make hiphop music. This is the equipment i have so far:

- Turntable: pioneer plx-1000 (similar to the technics 1200 turntable)

-DJ mixer (for scratching): Pioneer DJ Mixer DJM-250MK2

-Audio Interface: Scarlett 2i2

So my question is: how do i sample both vinyl and scratching from the vinyl with all this equipment into the Native Instrument drum machine software? I have the turntable connected to the mixer, and i have a lot of different cables to connect the mixer into the audio interface but they dont let me record the sound from the turntable. The cables i have to connect the mixer to the audio interface are:

-2 RCA (red and white) to 1 1/4 TRS

-1 XLR to 1 rca male to (adapter) 1 rca female to 2 rca (both black, not red and white)

-2 RCA (red and white) to 2 1/4 TRS (red and white)

Ordered another cable, not here yet: 2 RCA (red and white) to 1 XLR

If anyone can help me out or point me in a certain direction, id really appreciate it.

OK, I will need to do a little reading on your TT. If it has no "Power" out, than you will need to use an amplifier to get the signal to a level to be recorded. BRB n 30 min. OK, first of all you have some real nice, high dollar gear and if you hook it up wrong, you could fry it. In order for a turntable to produce sound, it must be attached to a amplifier, commonly known as a stereo receiver.

If you just took two speakers with RCA plugs and plugged them into your turntable, you would not hear anything. The turntable is producing a "line signal" that must go to something to amplifier it for it to produce sound. The bigger the amp/receiver, the louder the sound.

Now, about your mixer. It has two channels that can receive the turntable line in signals, but in order for it to turn that signal into power, it will only do this when you have the main outs, hooked into another amp system to drive the speakers for your audience to hear. Again, the higher the amp rating, the higher the output loudness.

Depending on how the power buss is set up on your mixer, will determine if the turntable signal is powered before it goes into the USB output or bypasses the USB completly and will simply be applied to the main outs buss. If it just goes into the master outs/mains and the signal needs to be amplified BEFORE it enters the mixer, than that is your problem. I want you to understand that I have no experience with your mixer nor do I want to advise you on anything that may damage it. So, if I owned what you have, this is what I would do.

On a regular mixer, you would set your gain controls to a point where the LED Lights would show between the green and the yellow, but never into the red, when you slowly opened the master control volume knob. The main outputs would run to a amp and than into the house speakers. When you are using the USB inputs to record into your computer, the master volume control knob is what would adjust your input levels into your DAW, after you have applied the proper gain staging.

Try this with your mixer, using Audacity as your audio software. It's free and we will both be on the same page as we are trying to figure this out. The software you are using may not have the capability to do this. If your computer can not see your mixer, than installing the ASIO4ALL audio file, may help you.

You need to bypass the 2i2 completely. You CAN NOT run your mixer into your 2i2 and than into your computer. Your AI is made to receive line signals only and as far as I can tell, your mixer dose not have "Line Out" capabilities. Let me know when you try this and we can go from there.

Last edited:
Back