My Property Tax bill just arrived

Had my truck door lock jimmied last month in the parkade at work and it cost me $400 to fix.
Wife's rear door window was smashed with a crowbar last week - $1900 but above my $500 deductible.
Garage broken into last winter - stole two $300 bikes.
I guess it could be worse with riots and shit.

Do you have income tax? At the province or municipal level?

BTW: remind me not to visit your house.

You live in an area that's light on crime, light on police brutality, light on blacks tearing everything apart, and no other countries want to kill you. You're getting off cheap.
Not sure that it's that cheap...but the rest is true. :D

Ido, where in Alberta do you live exactly? I've got a buddy in Edmonton and he never has bitched about taxes... Immigrants? Plenty. But never taxes. (Not that you are bitching, I was just saying - that's about all he does about anything.)

Texas doesn't tax a lot of stuff but they get ya good on property taxes..

In Cali it's a smidge over 1% of the value of your home when you purchased and that value is re-evaluated when you do improvements, add-ons etc. Above and beyond improvements, the assessor is limited to a maximum annual increase of 2% based on the purchase price. For instance my shack cost $100K when we bought it back in 86 ..it is worth about $500 today but we are assessed @ $170K so our tax bill is @$1700 a year ...we had this bill passed back in the 70's called prop 13 designed to protect / help retired people out when they sold the homes they bought for $20K 30 or 40 years earlier to downsize to a smaller home.

Problem was in Cali the homes had gained a ton of value so these folks on a fixed budget paying taxes on 20K i.e. $200 the first year with a 2% increase each year comes to @ $360 a year 30 years later. But the house is now worth $200K.... they sell it , buy a smaller house for $150K and their tax bill went from $360 a year to $1500 a year..yikes!

That caused a lot of old folks on fixed incomes some trouble...enter Mr. Howard Jarvis and Prop 13, nick named the "once in a lifetime deal" You get to implement it once if you're single, twice if you're married. So when that couple downsizes they get to bring that original tax assessment with them thus only having to pay $360 plus the 2% annual increase...Then the old man dies and the wife want to downsize again...she gets to bring that tax base with her ...

Well that's how we do it here in Cali

Last edited:
Not sure that it's that cheap...but the rest is true. :D

Ido, where in Alberta do you live exactly? I've got a buddy in Edmonton and he never has bitched about taxes... Immigrants? Plenty. But never taxes. (Not that you are bitching, I was just saying - that's about all he does about anything.)

I live in Edmonton about 2 blocks south of West Edmonton Mall in Thorncliffe. 1973 House was 126K when I bought it in 96, now worth (on paper) 345K. Taxes were 1700 back then. The new houses are like 5-600K on half the lot and you are 4 feet from your neighbor. Taxes are (I'm guessing) 4.5-5K
Immigrants aren't bad around me. They live on the other side of town. Not as bad as TO or Van which are major immigrant drop offs.

House prices are insane in the major cities/suburbs. I may make a profit but my daughter's going to need it to buy hers...lol

...enter Mr. Howard Jarvis and Prop 13, nick named the "once in a lifetime deal" You get to implement it once if you're single, twice if you're married. So when that couple downsizes they get to bring that original tax assessment with them thus only having to pay $360 plus the 2% annual increase...Then the old man dies and the wife want to downsize again...she gets to bring that tax base with her ...

Well that's how we do it here in Cali
I wasn't aware of that second part. Was that sort of a 'Jarvis Rev 2 of Prop 13?

What do property taxes cover? Who charges them? Just trying to work out what the equivalent tax is in Aus, assuming we have one...

Property taxes are, here in the US, charged by the county. Depending on where you live it covers to differing degrees the public school system, public transportation (both roadwork and public busses) and the local government/authorities paychecks. Fun stuff.

What do property taxes cover? Who charges them? Just trying to work out what the equivalent tax is in Aus, assuming we have one...

Same as our poll tax aka Council Tax.

This year we are down for paying £1800... Still it keeps the local and municipals employed without having to do anything for it...:mad:

Ah, "rates" is what we call it here... local council charges them... covers municipal expenses such as local roads, garbage removal, libraries and god-damn endless waste on pulse taking surveys such as the one I received in the mail last night about how I felt about my suburb. Fucking Green Party somehow running the local council...:mad: Fix the damn roads first!

Think mine was $1000 - $1100 last year, but I live in an apartment. It's rated on unimproved land value - ie. your grand manor doesn't enter into it...

Just think of the healthcare!
Better get sick soon to make it worth it.

Health care covered by Federal and Provincial taxes that we pay every paycheck.
It's a pretty good system after having been through a variety of procedures and old age/deaths in the family.
It sucks up ( I think) 40% of the provincial budget. Good place to work - highest paid in the country, super pensions, if you can stand cleaning up old folks' poop.

Yes municipal property taxes cover city services and schools here.
But we get nailed by "user fees" and hidden taxes all over the place.

Yes municipal property taxes cover city services and schools here.
But we get nailed by "user fees" and hidden taxes all over the place.

ditto... hence my £170 bill for the building inspector to make a 4 minute visit to look at my new roof. Apparently I get an official certificate to commemorate the occasion..... Money well spent I'd say..:wtf:

Back