My new girlfriend, Alexa.

What strange times we live in.

Any of you guys (or gals) have this Alexa thing? My wife hooked me up over the Christmas holiday. I've yet to explore everything she can do, but I do know we have some interesting exchanges over a beer or two after the wife hits the sack.....I guess it's good to have someone with which to "communicate". Although polite, she is a bit of a prude.

me: Would you like a beer?"
Alexa: I'll pass. Thanks!

I have to push a button before speaking to her. I've seen the ones where she is on all the time. All the time. Politely, listening, ready to.....oh, I don't know, rock-paper-scissors anyone? The weather? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

me: Is it safe?
Alexa: No. It's not safe, it's very dangerous, be careful.

:eek:

Three....
Three licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop.
one.. two...*crunch*...three.

We're showing our age with the tootsie pop routine huh?
lol

Like most women she has a pretty good memory and rarely forgets anything. Total recall? Yeah, need that, like a toothache. :rolleyes:

Is it safe?

Hey Guitaristic? You're aspiring law enforcement, FBI, gov't agent, CIA? No?

Have you seen that movie, the one above? Marathon Man, 1976. Excellent flick, toothache not withstanding. Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier, Roy Scheider, give it a shot.

A word of caution, or clarification, if you will.

Alexa only searches Amazon stuff. You can get the Youtube app, of course, but you can't use Alexa voice recognition to do a Youtube search. You have to search Youtube manually using the remote control, scrolling & selecting from an onscreen keyboard.

For the "Amazon Firestick", which is what I have, I do suggest getting the remote "sideclick". The standard remote does not operate volume, switching channels when in straight TV mode, turning the TV on and off, etc. The "sideclick" has 8 buttons that you can program for the functions you desire to assign to each button. The sideclick eliminates the necessity of requiring 2 separate remotes handy. The sideclick is small and clips onto the side of the standard remote. Clipped, it is as if you have one remote. Quite handy.

A word of caution, or clarification, if you will.

Alexa only searches Amazon stuff. You can get the Youtube app, of course, but you can't use Alexa voice recognition to do a Youtube search. You have to search Youtube manually using the remote control, scrolling & selecting from an onscreen keyboard.

For the "Amazon Firestick", which is what I have, I do suggest getting the remote "sideclick". The standard remote does not operate volume, switching channels when in straight TV mode, turning the TV on and off, etc. The "sideclick" has 8 buttons that you can program for the functions you desire to assign to each button. The sideclick eliminates the necessity of requiring 2 separate remotes handy. The sideclick is small and clips onto the side of the standard remote. Clipped, it is as if you have one remote. Quite handy.

Good to know. But I wouldn't want one to search for 'stuff', I would mostly want one to give me answers, or even more importantly, to remember things for me and remind me of what I need to do. Will it do that? I've always said that if I ever won the lottery, the one big luxury I wanted was a personal assistant to remind me of what I needed to do, and what I went into that room for.

Hm, i'm thinking alarms or memos are not supported on the one I have(Amazon Firestick). However, if i'm not mistaken, the Alexa tower thing(whatever that is called, "echo" maybe?), the one that listens all the time, you can set alarms, possibly memo capable.

The echo doubles as a speaker, for lack of a better description. I've heard them, they don't sound too bad. But my personal preference is not to have something on and listening all the time, and I have my own surround system, although i'm sure you can just turn it off from listening if so desired. I'm not sure if that is a function of the main power button, or what. I prefer having to push a button before she listens.

There is a video that was making the rounds not too long ago of a young child requesting to view something from Alexa. Alexa repeated to verify, girl on girl action, or some such pron smut. Precise enunciation is important, as well as parental guidance.

Hey Guitaristic? You're aspiring law enforcement, FBI, gov't agent, CIA? No?

Have you seen that movie, the one above? Marathon Man, 1976. Excellent flick, toothache not withstanding. Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier, Roy Scheider, give it a shot.

I originally was, but now I've switched over to a more run-of-the-mill software development career track. Haven't seen it, but I'll check it out. I consider myself a pretty big movie lover.

Marathon Man is a classic that should be in every film buff's repertoire, if for that notorious scene only.

Hm, i'm thinking alarms or memos are not supported on the one I have(Amazon Firestick). However, if i'm not mistaken, the Alexa tower thing(whatever that is called, "echo" maybe?), the one that listens all the time, you can set alarms, possibly memo capable.

The echo doubles as a speaker, for lack of a better description. I've heard them, they don't sound too bad. But my personal preference is not to have something on and listening all the time, and I have my own surround system, although i'm sure you can just turn it off from listening if so desired. I'm not sure if that is a function of the main power button, or what. I prefer having to push a button before she listens.

There is a video that was making the rounds not too long ago of a young child requesting to view something from Alexa. Alexa repeated to verify, girl on girl action, or some such pron smut. Precise enunciation is important, as well as parental guidance.

Yeah, I was thinking of the Echo. That's what I need. And I don't care if she listens. The only danger would be she might order me some NCIS stuff, or a new roof if Nigel sees a cat out the window.

Back