My last gig...

pikingrin

what is this?
Forewarning, I'm an ugly bastard and this is a debbie-downer post. A couple pics I found from my last gig about 3 years ago this October. It was a benefit for a rare cancer foundation that we set up through MD Anderson in her memory after she passed away after a 3 month bout with a textbook case of cancer that ended her life 2 months after our first wedding anniversary in 2011.

At Fitzgeralds, Houston, TX 2012.
fitz2.jpg
fitz1.jpg

Melissa with the guitar that I played (her Taylor that I will die with).
taylorlove.jpg

On the wedding day...
weddingday.jpg

Sorry for the downer post, it's been a rough day. Had a very lucid dream and I miss her bad today. Remarried for over a year (to another widow who is very awesome and understanding) and it still sucks when the hurt comes. :facepalm:

For what it's worth, the bands that I opened for were Frantz, a local Texas band, and Seryn. They hailed from Denton, TX until until about a year ago and now are out of Nashville, TN. If you ever get bored check out Seryn, they are amazing musicians and great people...

Wow dude ...that is a sad story...really sorry that you and so many people like you have to go through this very bogus cancer crap...Not a spouse, but too many people I love and care about have had to fight the cancer fight...wish we could conquer that dirty disease

Some positive things...if you look at it from different angles.

Either way she was going to be taken...that she got to experience the incredible love you must of had for her and she for you...a pretty cool parting gift for her..though a painful one for you.

Glad you found a woman to love afterwards...The new memories being made will stack up over time and in time push the painful ones further back in line where they will remain forever... not so much "in your face" painful like they still are right now...Chin up ...onward and upward and get on with gettin on as surely she would have wanted you to.

All the best to you!

Right on, TAE, it is all positive. Melissa made me grow into the person I am now; I will forever love her and it sucks but I was led on this path that took me to my current wife for a reason and it can only get better for the both of us now in the present.

She could finger-pick that Taylor with the best of them, classically trained, and we could never record anything because neither of us had the patience to figure it out. If I could have written it out on staff paper she could have picked up anything I could throw at her but I don't read (nor can I write) music in that language. All I could do at that last gig was beat up the strings a little bit and try to sing; she had the talent in her own way though and in a big way.

I'm sorry for your loss, but glad to see you are still living your life and enjoying the memories she gave you.

I had the pleasure of meeting the CEO of the American Cancer Society on a flight home last week. He was very upbeat about the progress that has been made in cancer research in the last few years. New medicines that target specific DNA that have minimal impact on the rest of a person's body. Chemotherapy in a pill instead of daily trips to a hospital for IV's. Not as much invasive drugs that wreak havoc, loss of hair, illness, etc. Better detection, sooner.

He said the ACS hasn't ben very visible with these gains, but he was planning to change that. He was going to start some ad campaigns to help bring a new message to the American public.

Unfortunately, none of this was able to help your late wife, but maybe future cancer patients will benefit from the latest advances.

Thanks for sharing part of your life with us.

I will be looking forward to that progress, for sure. She was a trooper when even Harvard med couldn't identify her type of cancer so we set up a fund for "orphan tumor" research in her honor; the more people that can win that battle the better it will be. If ACS is on it then maybe one day soon they'll come up with something; Lord knows I'll be praying for a cure to happen.

Reactions: TAE
I'm sorry for your loss, but glad to see you are still living your life and enjoying the memories she gave you.

I had the pleasure of meeting the CEO of the American Cancer Society on a flight home last week. He was very upbeat about the progress that has been made in cancer research in the last few years. New medicines that target specific DNA that have minimal impact on the rest of a person's body. Chemotherapy in a pill instead of daily trips to a hospital for IV's. Not as much invasive drugs that wreak havoc, loss of hair, illness, etc. Better detection, sooner.

He said the ACS hasn't ben very visible with these gains, but he was planning to change that. He was going to start some ad campaigns to help bring a new message to the American public.

Unfortunately, none of this was able to help your late wife, but maybe future cancer patients will benefit from the latest advances.

Thanks for sharing part of your life with us.

I've heard this too. Allegedly great strides have been made, though still in the testing stages. Immunotherapy, re-engineering of T-cells to attack cancer cells... really wish I knew more about it, but it's exciting to think our kids (or maybe theirs) could grow up in a world where cancer and all the pain and fear that comes with it is a distant memory.

Sorry for your loss man, I totally understand. I lost my wife just over 5 years ago, and I'm remarried for just over a year as well. I hear ya, we've just got to be thankful for the time we had, and for the part of them that live on through us. It's tough sometimes, even a little confusing at times. But it's good to know that you're fortunate enough to have found another person to share your life with. Some people never even find that once in their lives!

Sorry for your loss man, I totally understand. I lost my wife just over 5 years ago, and I'm remarried for just over a year as well. I hear ya, we've just got to be thankful for the time we had, and for the part of them that live on through us. It's tough sometimes, even a little confusing at times. But it's good to know that you're fortunate enough to have found another person to share your life with. Some people never even find that once in their lives!

Dude, it's a process for sure. Glad you made it through, too, and it's very true about being thankful. Hard to be that way sometimes but it's the right way to go about it.

Back