My first "real" bass amp

spantini

COO of me, inc.
My first bass amp was from a Capitol Records Club Membership offer : a small combo amp & cheap violin bass. Those got me up and running but I was mostly copying 60s bubblegum music and early to mid-60s Beatles songs.

When I learned how to play better and copy the blues and psychedelic rock, I had to move up the chain. Someone gave me their Earth B-2000 amp along with their homemade, uncovered, unfinished plywood, 2x18 cabinet on rollers... and an SG bass with flat-wound strings that had to have been at least 10 years old - and I never changed them! They just gave it all to me - FREE! I am indebted to that person, though I can't for the life of me recall who it was.

The B-2000 was kinda of that era with it's rolled, tucked and buttoned outer covering. That thing rocked, but nothing like today's amps.

One day, a co-worker invited me over for a jam. I hauled everything over and we jammed for almost 4 hours. I was so high at the end, I woke up at my house the next day and later discovered I had not brought my amp & cab home. I took my bass out, jumped in my car, then home I went... evidently. I could never make it back over to pick my stuff up so there it stayed.. The guy moved to Texas a month later.

I found this pic on the internet :

8TnnNdD.jpg

Back