My best friend and drummer for 30+ years R.I.P.

jimistone

long standing member
Charles "donnie" Peeples. He was my best friend and the drummer in most of the bands I have played in. He lost his bout with small cell lung cancer this morning. Even though I new it was coming soon I cried like a baby. I loved that guy like a brother. We had a blast playing music for decades. He was one of those old school drummers that could really work a high hat. He was well versed on tower of power, brothers johnson, and all that oldlate 60's and early 70s funk music...as well as rock, blues, and country.

Fly on my old friend and keep an eye out for me...I'm not that far behind you!

Here is a recording that was basically a couple of mics hanging from the ceiling joists.

donnie peeples.jpg

Sorry to hear of your friends passing Jimi. I remember you saying before that he was ill. It's hard to lose someone so close.

At least you have great memories.....cool tune you posted too.

Cancer is one of the worst - wish they'd find a cure/vaccine. Affects so many of our friends and family.
RIP to your friend Donnie and condolences to his friends and family.

Sorry to read that you lost a good friend, Jimi.

30+ years? That's a long time indeed. And I'm certain that memories of those 30+ years shared with your friend will be with you for as long as you live.

Sorry to hear that dude, I've lost friends like that and it's no fun. I lost my best friend 2 days before his 30th birthday. Nothing prepares you for having to deal with that. Keep your head up.

Sorry for your loss, man.

He wanted the song that I penned in the songwriting forum played at his funeral...the one you played piano on. I don't think I can perform it, with his wife, kids, grandkids, and 94 year old mother all crying without choking up. So, i'm going to make a cd of you playing piano and me singing it. The track I posted in the songwriting forum after you sent me the piano part file. He loved that song. He accepted Jesus as his Savior (before he knew he had cancer). He wanted to get baptized so the Sunday before last Sunday he decided to do it. His mind had been going in and out in spells, His wife told me she thought the baptism was going to be a train wreck because his mind was gone that morning. Then she said he took a shower and when he came out his mind was as clear as a bell. I went to the baptism and he was like his old self. I was thinking to myself "man, he is really doing good" we talked after the baptism and he said "hey man, when they do something with me after I die, I want you to sing that song "He gave me life anew. I'm going to tell my 2 sons that I want that" I told him we have plenty of time to worry about that later. Youre doing good man!"

He said "Yeah, but I just want to let it be know what I want with regards to that while I can still communicate'

After he got home from the baptism he took a turn for the worse and couldn't speak or get up out of bed. he got worse and worse by the day and here we are 10 days later preparing for a friday funeral

Sorry to hear that. And man I get the thing on one hand a long musical friend's passing begs celebrating with the music we shared. But pulling it off, singing at least, contemplated that for a few friends passing recently, no go. Reaches way deep, way back.. oh so connected. But that is the beautiful side of it as well. I've come to realize how the music lives in us.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I can say that with the utmost sincerity having lost people close to me as well.

Until one has gone through that tragic experience, one can never fully understand it.

That being said, once again, I'm sorry.

Very sorry to hear about that, Jimi.

A couple of years ago a friend and drummer in one of the bands I used to play in fell backwards on basement stairs, hit his head and never came out of it. They removed life support and he died a couple of days later. His wife asked that we other guys in the band play and sing at the service. It was tough, but we made it through. If possible have one or more of his other friends join you if you play/sing. It helped, no way I could have done it alone.

I don't know what's worse, sudden and unexpected, or like a slow train coming. Condolences to his family and friends.

Back