Music Schools are Expensive (Rant)

You know what P. T. Barnum said.... :)

You could get as much music production from the internet as any of those courses....maybe more...you just have to sift through a lot of nonsense, but there's a ton of music production info...for free.

Not sure how old your child is...but if anything, work on just getting him an internship at a radio station, TV station or if possible, a local recording studio (even a small, decent one)...and then they learn by doing.

Some good points made Miroslav. Although the price is annoying, I do like that he will learn 'structured' information. Once he gets the basics down, then he can go crazy unleashing his creativity and watching Youtube tutorials, etc. Let's see how it plays out :) Cheers!

I'm assuming he meant $25k per year. 4 years at $25k = $100k versus 2 years working at $50k.

At least that's how I read it. :confused:

Perhaps. I read it as "My daughter's BEd was around $25000".

So a BA or BEd goes for $100k nowadays? I work at a University and have no idea. lol.

We all justify and defend something that we've spent a lot of money on.

Even if what we spent the money on has no real value, we'll still defend it. The more it cost, the stronger the defense.

Sounds like a form of denial to me.
:D

Perhaps. I read it as "My daughter's BEd was around $25000".

So a BA or BEd goes for $100k nowadays? I work at a University and have no idea. lol.

That's how I read it, too. $6K/yr, $25k for the whole 4. You can't barely get in the door for $25k/yr around here. My son is a junior in high school and I'm getting scared. C'mon kid, join the navy like your old man.

My daughter's BEd was around $25000. Starting wage for a full time teacher is ~50,000.
Pays for itself in 2 years. As long as people keep reproducing, she should be employed.
Ok - my mistake. Pays for itself in 6 months.

That's how I read it, too. $6K/yr, $25k for the whole 4. You can't barely get in the door for $25k/yr around here. My son is a junior in high school and I'm getting scared. C'mon kid, join the navy like your old man.

if you start smoking meth and get tossed in prison he might get some scholarships.

mine graduates May....its been eating 40% of my income for years and thats still with loans being taken out!

all the colleges seem to post the amount, per credit hr$$$ but then the housing and food etc..is all on the family so yeah most Publics hit $100k. we had a friends kid, honor roll stuff, went to a Provate for 1 yr and didnt like it came home over $40k in debt.

the Animal House years are over, if not for Govt Subprime College Loans 30% wouldnt be able to go. The Banks are still eager to gamble on the college degree paying off but I dont know. If the 30% kids dont go to college the unemployment will skyrocket for that age group, to 11%?15% unemployment?.

I remember the Great Recession and the $400k and up homes empty, they fall the fastest because they need their $200k yr incomes. Those get cut first.

whew!!!! you can tell I am fresh from the battlefield of college....excuse my negativity and burn out. wow?
Its a complex situation

I work in corporate AV. Most of the people under 30 or so are graduates of Full Sail. There simply aren't enough of the jobs that everyone who goes to those schools expect to get as there are students getting churned out by those schools.

I wish there was something like that when I was younger and there was still a studio system in place. But now, it just seems to be a way to get around $30k out of people to prepare them for jobs that don't exist.

Tuition went through the roof when student loans came in, same as house prices went through the roof when mortgages became more easily available. People's futures being sucked away by debt and the benefits they are getting in return are dwindling.

The Banks are still eager to gamble on the college degree paying off but I dont know.
The banks aren't gambling. Most if those loans are backed by the government. The banks coukd give a shit if any of them actually earn $.02.

Sound familiar?

yeah it sounds too familiar.
The Govs $1.3 to 1.4 Trillion in debt now per the internet, so it must be true.
I watched how my daughter obtained the gov loans and it was scary. No human needed, just a computer to request money and boom accepted!!

Then the cash sent to school and overage to her spending account where most kids spend it on haircuts and new shoes, and books and pencils or iPhones and iPads.... its Subprime Loans on steroids...hah...

Whatever happened to people leaving school at 15 getting a job in a shop / store, learning how to lay bricks, becoming a plumber, earning a living (not living off parents / government), and living happily ever after.

By the way I left school at 15, got my first job in an auto wreckers, then a storeroom, then an apprenticeship, bought my 1st Bass, learned some songs, joined a band, did some adult study and picked up some better day job work, then left and became a full time sound engineer / musician, built a PA system up for hire, built a recording studio, played in more bands, and lived life. Later in life took on a day job again, OK I was working 80 hours a week at some points, (actually I am still working 55 to 60 hours a week), but you don't need to go to uni to have a good life? Just get out there and do stuff, and enjoy. There is always something around the corner, learn life skills, these skills are the most important.

Alan.

Whatever happened to people leaving school at 15 getting a job in a shop / store, learning how to lay bricks, becoming a plumber, earning a living (not living off parents / government), and living happily ever after.

Most of those jobs which are done by hand are replaced by machines. And to get a simple job nowadays you immediately need high diploma's to get it.
Were you took a hammer and named yourselve carpenter, nowadays you quickly need proven knowledge (diploma) about construction. Were they almost all could live a decent life with dad working and mom at home, that's something that's hard to reach for most people, even with 2 or more jobs.
Leaving school at 15 with hardly any diploma's will most likely not bring you the life our grandparents had that way.
Times have changed. And it ain't always better.

There are plenty of trades out there that still have an apprenticeship program. You have to be willing to start at the bottom and work your way up.

The whole "dad works and mom stays home" thing is pretty well gone no matter what you do. Back when that was possible, it wasn't the norm for an entire family to be running around with $500 phones, Internet, laptops, etc...

It's much cheaper when the children play in the back yard with a stick and THE phone one the kitchen wall was $15/mo.

We expect so much more than even existed back then, that contributes to the problem as much as anything.

Back