Music has 'gotten very girly', says Bono from U2

kickingtone

Singer tells Rolling Stone ‘hip-hop is the only place for young male anger at the moment – and that’s not good’

Bono has said that music has “gotten very girly”. Interviewed for Rolling Stone magazine, the U2 singer added, “there are some good things about that, but hip-hop is the only place for young male anger at the moment – and that’s not good”.

He went on to explain: “When I was 16, I had a lot of anger in me. You need to find a place for it and for guitars.”

Music has 'gotten very girly’, says Bono from U2 | Music | The Guardian

Has music become girly?

I want to discuss this question and what it means. I don't want the thread to get bogged down too much with who said it, or whether it has been reported accurately enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
(If a mod drops by, could you please clean up the title? I did a direct copy and paste from a web page :o and it scrambled a quotation mark)

Has music become girly?

You could argue that everybody is angry, so what is "male" about anger or expressing anger?

I don't accept that less anger in music girlifies music. There are plenty of masculine emotions that have little to do with rage!

Machismo and masculinity are not interchangeable. There may be less machismo in music these days.

machismo

noun
strong or aggressive masculine pride.

That is not all there is to masculinity, and the attribution of pride to gender seems to me to carry a wisp of insecurity. In fact, it is the calmness and confidence, the assertiveness without anger that I would associate more with masculinity. This is very likely why I am not a big fan of rock or hiphop. Too shrill for my liking. :p

I don't like Bono or his band. But he's right. The effeminization of men is in the music also.

Pop/ dance crap is the rule of the day.

Where is our current day "The Who"

And to all you male feminists, there ain't nothing wrong with a bit of testosterone.

We should knock off buying into this 'toxic masculinity' brainwashing agenda.

Turn up your Marshalls, and let's rock, boys!
:D

Back