Mqa

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
Anyone hear about this format? MQA - Master Quality Authenticated.

Best I can gather it is a lossless format, but with much smaller file sizes than other lossless formats.

Is it only for streamimg, or can you encode in that format? They say it can be packaged inside other lossless formats, e.g. WAV. I don't fully understand that.

Any of you have any familiarity? Is this something I should care about? Except possibly as a listener who wants better quality streaming?

They have a good chance of selling it.

As you see in the listings, a 5-min file at 352 is 410mb and a dsd256 is 840mb. That's painful with my download speeds : )

"I eat more chicken any man ever seen" deserves paying extra for

Attachments

• dsd64_doors.jpg
    dsd64_doors.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 8
They have a good chance of selling it.

*Most* people find 320Kbps MP3 to be more than adequate. I doubt there's enough audiophools to support this tech becoming mainstream all by itself. Perhaps it will languish on certain paid sites, being a niche thing like Bluray Music, DTS Music discs, SACD, and DVD-A.

Mainstream ? Could happen, but It is, certainly, not going to be of interest to people buying mp3. " I can buy a dozen eggs for a dollar, why would I buy 2 eggs for a dollar.

" I can buy a dozen eggs for a dollar, why would I buy 2 eggs for a dollar.

This - if you are happy with the eggs you get, why would anyone pay more or pay the same for fewer eggs (again, the buyer's perception).

I think some of yiu guys are missing the point. The idea is not better quality, the idea is CD quality at mp3 file sizes.

MP3 only exists because transferring or streaming wave files was quite impractical given their size and broadband speeds of a few years ago. It was helped along by the fact that most of the unwashed masses can't hear the difference between a CD and an MP3 anyway.

But how about an MP3 mixing clinic with CD quality files, and little download speed penalty?

It was helped along by the fact that most of the unwashed masses can't hear the difference between a CD and an MP3 anyway.

It's tough to hear the difference between a 320Kbps MP3 and 1411(?)Kbps CD, especially nowadays when most mixing is shall we say less than dynamic. Classical music would benefit from a higher bitrate format, but most stuff being sold and streamed is studio schlock. You also need playback equipment that will reveal the differences. Most cheap earbuds aren't up to the task of even producing all the frequencies and dynamics in a crappy 128 or 192Kbps MP3.

The format is dead on arrival for anything but niche/boutique use. It solves a problem that doesn't exist for most listeners.

Last edited:
Back