Mark Farner interview

TAE

All you have is now
Grand Funk was one bad ass band and it wouldn't be anything without Mark...Dude is one bad ass American rock legend..

Very cool interview...

Reactions: RFR
I'm still a fan, even after they aren't on the radio. Great band, great tunes.

I was a fan of Grand Funk in those early years. I saw him a couple of years ago, reprising all the GF tunes. The sound was horrendous, and way too loud for what/where it was (free concert on the Boston Esplanade).

--------------------------
Edited to add:
Oh, I know Gerg is going to come along wiht a comment about 'too loud' part - but what I meant was that the PA system was being pushed so hard that it was just a mass of clipping distortion. :rolleyes:

I was a fan of Grand Funk in those early years. I saw him a couple of years ago, reprising all the GF tunes. The sound was horrendous, and way too loud for what/where it was (free concert on the Boston Esplanade).

Did you see Mark Farner or Grand Funk? The douche water breath bastards swindled him out of being able to use the name Grand Funk...He has to go out as Mark Farner...weasles I tell ya!

I don't know how many times I have watched their 1974 LA concert. Those dudes were rockin.

Last edited:
Did you see Mark Farner or Grand Funk? The douche water breath bastards swindled him out of being able to use the name Grand Funk...He has to go out as Mark Farner...weasles I tell ya!

It was Mark Farner and band.

At one time, we played over 30 of their tunes, and the crowds ate that heavy shit up.
Right along with Deep Purple, Sabbath, Zepellin, Blue Cheer, etc.

I really liked Mel Schacher, because he and I played the same, heavy, quick, style.

Got to see them LIVE a few times.

Quit going to see them, right after they went 4 pcs., with Craig Frost on keys.:rolleyes:

Much more enjoyable being in powerful, 3 piece, bands.

That was back when you had to really travel, and sweat, to play.

LIVE audiences were the greatest!

Mel Schacher

Grand Funk, definitely changed the music world forever.

Yes, Farner got screwed royally by Terry Knight.......:(

"Inside looking out" on that old double live album is killer. When mark went in the high register on the 2nd lead ride he was wailing man!

I saw mark and ace freely on "that metal show" the other night and they asked both of them if they ever heard stories about themselves that were bullshit. Mark said " yeah, there used to be a story that grand funk was playing and I was having a bad night...and the crowd started booing us. I supposedly said "if anybody thinks they can do better get up here and try!". The story goes that Eric Clapton came on stage and rocked the house. And i left the stage humiliated."

They said " the story isn't true?"

Mark said "no, to start with...what in the fuck would Eric Clapton be doing at a grand funk show, and secondly if Clapton had have take the stage I would have been watching him and digging it....I damn sure wouldn't have left!"

I heard that story more than once in the 1970s
Lol

Back