Lol @ fat, white, middle aged weekend bikers

This happened in Waco? There are no bars in Waco. Did they make plans on Facebook to meet at the local McDonalds and brawl like high school kids?

I see that this occurred at some diner. Maybe they slipped some PCP in the special.

I wouldn't quite call Twin Peaks a diner. Think Hooters done right. ...well, except for the motorcycle gangs.

I drove through Waco once with some equally ignorant fellows. As college football fans, we knew Baylor was there, and we assumed there would be college ass and booze aplenty. We were told it was a "dry" town once we got frustrated and pulled over at a gas station to inquire. Were we misinformed?

I can't imagine Waco being a dry town. Pretty sure I drank beer there. And Twin Peaks can't turn a profit on burgers alone.

Maybe it was a long time ago. Or you were misinformed.... intentionally.

We just have less to be proud of.

Hey, I was in PA just last week. I went to a Tilted Kilt to watch the Rangers game with some co-workers. The girls there would not have been hired by Twin Peaks. :(

I don't know if or why anyone would tell you it's a dry city. Maybe you weren't actually in Waco. Could it have been a small town close to it? Maybe?

I can't imagine Waco being a dry town. Pretty sure I drank beer there. And Twin Peaks can't turn a profit on burgers alone.

Maybe it was a long time ago. Or you were misinformed.... intentionally.

WTF is a "dry town"?... I mean, I can guess, but does it actually mean you can't buy alcohol?

Hey, I was in PA just last week. I went to a Tilted Kilt to watch the Rangers game with some co-workers. The girls there would not have been hired by Twin Peaks. :(

Get out of here! I'm headed back there tomorrow for a couple weeks. Having lived in PA more than half my life and spent two weeks in Texas, it does not surprise me that the girls you saw in PA were not fit for employment in Texas in that sort of establishment. This reminds me of a Saturday years ago when I watched some of a Texas game and a Florida game during the day, and the 8pm game was a Penn State game. They often show some pretty girls in the crowd when they come back from commercial. For the UT and UF games, the girls were smokin' hot, as you'd expect. During the PSU game, the girls were all chubby and freaking homely compared to the girls they showed in the earlier games, but I knew they were probably the best the cameraman could find.
Chili said:
I don't know if or why anyone would tell you it's a dry city. Maybe you weren't actually in Waco. Could it have been a small town close to it? Maybe?
It was definitely Waco. We were driving down 35 from Dallas, headed to Austin, when we decided we needed to drink before we went any further. We looked really hard before asking the local. We were pissed.

Armistice said:
WTF is a "dry town"?... I mean, I can guess, but does it actually mean you can't buy alcohol?
That's right. Whether Waco actually is or isn't is apparently in dispute, but we didn't have any luck 7 or 8 years ago.

Get out of here! I'm headed back there tomorrow for a couple weeks. Having lived in PA more than half my life and spent two weeks in Texas, it does not surprise me that the girls you saw in PA were not fit for employment in Texas in that sort of establishment. This reminds me of a Saturday years ago when I watched some of a Texas game and a Florida game during the day, and the 8pm game was a Penn State game. They often show some pretty girls in the crowd when they come back from commercial. For the UT and UF games, the girls were smokin' hot, as you'd expect. During the PSU game, the girls were all chubby and freaking homely compared to the girls they showed in the earlier games, but I knew they were probably the best the cameraman could find.

lol, my first time coming to Texas was in 1990 on a business trip from Massachusetts. I moved down here a year later. :D It is night and day.

Yeah, there are places like that that exist. Oh, don't get me started....

Wow... interesting. We have a few places in the north, I believe, where the local aboriginal community who comprise the entire population have decided that ready access to the demon drink is not in their community's best interests, but they're tiny places in terms of population, probably closer to reservations (assuming you actually have such things... I saw them on TV...:laughings:).

Texas has changed a lot over the years, but when I first moved there, around '81, they had dry counties (I am sure they still do), dry towns, etc. But no open container laws. Everyone literally drove around with an open beer. I don't think it was until the late 80's (not sure when) that they changed that law. I think it was when Californians moved there.

Why do they exist - is it to help stop everyone shooting each other, religious fundamentalism, or what?

I really don't know. I can only suspect it's because they are sleepy country towns surrounded by colleges and they don't want to attract riff-raff. I used to know where they were and we avoided those places, so point made.

I really don't know. I can only suspect it's because they are sleepy country towns surrounded by colleges and they don't want to attract riff-raff. I used to know where they were and we avoided those places, so point made.

First I ever heard of such a thing was in Family Guy when Peter's trying to get drunk in a dry county on a Sunday.

Why do they exist - is it to help stop everyone shooting each other, religious fundamentalism, or what?

A lot of people struggle with the concept of wet/dry. Mainly in the south and it is from based around a prominent Baptist population (usually).

I don't think wet/dry is any worse than states and some countries (cough, Canada) having state or government owned liquor stores.

A lot of people struggle with the concept of wet/dry. Mainly in the south and it is from based around a prominent Baptist population (usually).

I don't think wet/dry is any worse than states and some countries (cough, Canada) having state or government owned liquor stores.

We don't have either of those things, but then I guess that a Texas county is as big as the whole of the UK. Alcohol being sold by the state might be a good thing, depending how it's run. Here, booze is too cheap from supermarkets and people drink too much of it, especially the drinks aimed at young people (alcopops!).

First I ever heard of such a thing was in Family Guy when Peter's trying to get drunk in a dry county on a Sunday.
That's kind of what it's like. The people that inhabit or visit these towns aren't big drinking types anyway. These are places for stuff like bird watching and hiking. These towns offer no amenities that go with drinking. There are plenty of other places out there to do stuff while drinking...like floating down a river in a tube. Some of the natural spring reservoir rivers out there are cold as shit year round. You can just drag your six pack in the water and it stays cold.

Many of those dry Texas towns/counties are very German. Lots of German culture out there mixed in with wild west. I don't get why they'd wanna be dry besides just keeping dumb people away.

Back