lip-synching!

I spent ten weeks working with a female singer originally from a well known poppy group. She had a great voice, and singing the same songs live for 88 shows was hard work. So I got our sound op to take an iso feed from her headset mic and record it. We had 7 musicians in the pit, plus numerous stems being used for playback with click for various pad feeds - BVs, little guitar twiddly bits, the odd brass full section where our sax and trumpet wasn't full enough. We stuck her iso track in as a stem, and a few days later, she had a croaky voice. I revealed I'd recorded her, and asked if she fancied miming (lip-sync is just a term intended to prevent the dreaded MIMING word being used). She jumped at the chance, and said that in all the years she'd performed with the band, their mics had never been plugged into anything. She was perfect at miming - even the swallows you see in their throats was sync-perfect. She can sing pretty well, yet the miming became the way it went for every show and the audience were totally unaware. Of course it's cheating, but it does mean the end product is good. It just annoys me when some performers appear to be very weak live, and only good after the studio repair and enhance work has made their voice better than it really is.

Its no doubt that singing night after night, city after city, pitch perfect as well, is hard work. It's near impossible for some.

Nevertheless, no one will feel sorry for you when it goes wrong. It's still fun to poke at. Particularly the SNL skit. It's one song for crying out loud. Guess there were a lot of album sales pending on that performance.

Imho this is the equivalent of having a pitching machine take the mound for you. Yes, it's hard to throw strikes inning after inning, and keep getting batters out. But there's a reason these peope make the big bucks. And if you can't do it live, maybe you shouldn't be getting those big bucks.

Of course some pitchers have been known to doctor the ball. Hmmmmm...... :D

Not the best video, a lot of grainy footage. A few of those I'm not sure are actually lip syncing,

It is completely possible to fall and not mess up your vocal performance.

Not the best video, a lot of grainy footage. A few of those I'm not sure are actually lip syncing,

It is completely possible to fall and not mess up your vocal performance.

Yeah I wasn't positive about that one either. Not the best evidence there. The SNL one is still my favorite.

Another thing I didn't get is, if they're lip syncing to a backing track, why leave the mics live during the song? Seems like nothing but risk. Any noise the singer makes, even singing with the song, exposes the fraud.

Another thing I didn't get is, if they're lip syncing to a backing track, why leave the mics live during the song? Seems like nothing but risk. Any noise the singer makes, even singing with the song, exposes the fraud.

Prob so they can do their "ya'll having fun tonight?!", and "who's ready to party?!" one-liners randomly.

There is some lip syncing I don't mind at all. I could watch Susan Dey lip syncing on Partridge Family videos all day long.

Back