Kanye West....

You are right...one of the longhair rock dudes would have clocked Kanye! :D

I can't help but believe that my own musical heroes would never stand for stuff like that. I mean, can anyone imagine 80s Henry Rollins not knocking him the fuck out live on national TV? Or at the very least verbally destroying him? No one rants like Henry Rollins.

10492191_10205844503571186_1360855142352546009_n.jpg

Klowye West has a point, black artists are constantly overlooked in these awards, grammys, oscars, dad of the year contests...

I can't help but believe that my own musical heroes would never stand for stuff like that. I mean, can anyone imagine 80s Henry Rollins not knocking him the fuck out live on national TV? Or at the very least verbally destroying him? No one rants like Henry Rollins.

I actually just read that Paul Stanley said beck should've kicked Kanye in the nuts! So I think you're right about your heroes. :)

I don't think its a big deal. Mostly just funny. I think beck handled it very well. I think he was as shocked as Kanye was that he won.

I have that album of his and it's pretty boring imo. Sounds like bits and pieces of other moody, mellow stuff he's done before.

I've never listened to Beyoncé but it sounds like her album was very big and influential in some way that I don't understand, so maybe she should've won. No musician worth a damn would give two shits about winning a grammy anyway though as far as I'm concerned.

It seems that everyone, everywhere on the planet, everyone with a voice, everyone with internet access, hates people like kanye west, and bieber, and the kardashians, and people like that. I've never heard anyone come to their defense for anything. So how is it that they're still relevant? Who's paying these people? The court of public opinion used to be a powerful thing, but how is it that these fuckers are immune?

They make really good music that sells. He has been an innovative artist in the hip-hop and rap scene and turned rap from a poor man's game into a upper middle class thing.
You can literally murder people and still be a succesful artist. It doesn't make the music any worse.

People love outrage anyhow. I'm not offended by Kanye. The whole pop music thing just seems to so fake anyhow, my money is on the fact that it was either set up or allowed. He was placed in the front row for god sake, they WANTED him to interrupt somebody. They're just a bunch of millionaires flinging poo at each other to entertain the plebs. I bet they're laughing it up at the backstage party with 500$ champagne about this.

Lol. You are dead to me. You can't possibly believe this. :facepalm:

Up until Kanye, black rap was always about the underdog from the ghetto. He is from an upper middle class family and brought a lot of "classy swag" into the genre that differentiated him from other acts. His topics are different and spoke to a whole new generation of white kids who want to be black. I don't really know much of his material or care for his style but I'm not going to deny that his music has a certain flow that sets him apart from other rappers and is recognizable.

I am also not going to join the circlejerk that because he seems to be a horrible person that his music is bad. I've gotten over my teenage kneejerking about "Us vs. Them" when it comes to mainstream artists and non-mainstream artists a long time ago.

I enjoy my fair share of rap, especially since I think that most rock lyrics are utter shit and enough "real bands" would kill to be half as creative with the pen as some rap artists. The genre has a lot to offer. And don't even start using the "rap is all about bitches and money" stereotype. That's like saying that Blink 182 represents all punk or Nickleback all rock.

Fair enough.

The thing about Kanye changing up the genre isn't really an opinion though, it's a demographic shift that is easily visible if you look at rap ten years ago and rap now.

Fair enough.

The thing about Kanye changing up the genre isn't really an opinion though, it's a demographic shift that is easily visible if you look at rap ten years ago and rap now.

Where you got it wrong is that you're drawing the line at kanye. White bros got into rap a good 25 years ago. Even before that. And there was a lot of non-violent rap before the late 80s/early 90s when it went all gangsta's paradise. Kanye didn't convert white people. They were buying Snoop, Dre, Cypress Hill, Wu Tang, all that shit way before kanye was even out of diapers.

you know who really captured the white guy's heart? Eminem. He got the leftovers converted.

Obviously. They had me buying their stuff :laughings:

Rap like Mos Def or Dilated People hasn't been violent and that was 90s and 2000s. It's got an attitude but I wouldn't call it violent. MTV definitely bought into the violent thug stereotype but there has always been very succesful rap that was about politics, society and philosophy.

The thing about white kids listening to rap wasn't meant to be my main point. What I'm saying is that he is a rich kid that raps about rich kid things. He doesn't have that underdog image like Dre or Eminem did. There was no 5-0 copping his ass in Compton.
Maybe that's why he's such a dick, nothing keeping him grounded. It's a new thing, it's innovative! Doesn't mean it's any good.

I liked a lot of the pre-gangsta 80s rap. It was like black people's punk rock. I dug it. I got it, even though I'm a white dude. I can't relate to black life in the ghetto, but I understood they were just talking about their lives. Everything since then to me is just a joke. Rap doesn't have any musical integrity to me, so some hack spitting rhymes over a beat means nothing to me. Kanye is the Blink 182 and Nickelback of rap. I've never ever never ever been one to equate sales with quality, and that applies to him too.

Rapper's Delight and so on, the classics. Upbeat, funky. About having a good time.

Kanye speaks to the generation of now, which I know you're not a fan of. It's not very surprising that you don't like his music.

I'd still give some rappers a shot. There are huges scenes away from Kanye and his kin that produce a lot of more authentic experiences. I only recently got into Mos Def and he's got some good, mellow rap.

Back