It's so hot.. How hot was it..?

spantini

COO of me, inc.
... running errands this morning and finishing off at the gas station, I pull up to the pump, get out, shut the door and..

The door side molding is hanging half off the door. Our current heat wave has melted the double-sided adhesive tape holding
it on (no clips). Damn! Luckily, I happen to have a large can of solvent with which to remove all the crud except for the
gooey tape itself. I'm using WD-40 to soften it further, then scraping it off with a wooden popsicle stick - and it's working!

About another two hours ought to get everything stripped down good enough to accept a new roll of tape.

The end.

P.S. I won $6 on a lottery ticket while there..

I was in FL once during the summer...month of August, for some training/conference thing, which I promptly walked out on after the first day because it was pure shit...and my female co-worker/friend and I spent the week at Paradise Island, Disney, Bush Gardens...etc...we had fun. :p

AFA as the weather...:facepalm:...that was NOT fun.
I don't know how or why people live in FL in the summer, when it's pretty swampy even in the winter time (I've been there in the winter/spring a few times)...but in the summer, holy shit! It was like being in a steam sauna non-stop. At night it was bearable, but during the day...forget it. I would rather be in north in the winter snow than FL in the summer heat.

I'm with you, Miro. I don't know how people deal with heat, and certainly not with humidity on top.
Hell, it only ever gets to about 80F over here and I'm ready to pack up and die.

Give me an igloo any day. ;)

lol ..... my house's air conditioning was just out of service for 2 weeks and it's mid 90's and my windows don't open.

It wasn't that bad ...... I'm from Louisiana ...... it's WAY worse there.

I had fans going .... meh, it was warm .... wifey went to stay with her mom but I was fine

I live at 80F. Other than our summer, I keep the heater going.. keep my room at 80F during the day and turn it off completely at night for a small
cooldown during sleep. Come summer I switch to A/C, still keeping the room at 80F but letting it run at night also.

I was born in Wash. D.C. and raised in Maryland. I believe the summer humidity there was worse than Florida. The heat here in Florida is
a bit more extreme though. Some days standing still in a parking lot I feel like some very large alien is focusing a magnifying glass on
my head - payback for some of my childhood activities, no doubt.

yeah .... I live in central Florida but trust me ... it doesn't come close to Louisiana ..... Louisiana is really nasty in the summer.
I lived there most of my life and when I was young we had no air so I guess that's why it doesn't bother me.

I just now walked in from pushing my lawn mower up and down the hills of my yard for 2 hours .... it's noonish and around 95 or so ..... no biggie .... and the air in my truck hasn't worked for 2 years .... that may be part of why it doesn't bother me ..... I'm used to it.

A lot of my gigs here are outside too ..... just a matter of getting used to it

I live at 80F. Other than our summer, I keep the heater going.. keep my room at 80F during the day and turn it off completely at night for a small
cooldown during sleep. Come summer I switch to A/C, still keeping the room at 80F but letting it run at night also.

Check your room for mushrooms. :D ;)

If you like it that hot...then the FL heat-n-humidity isn't going to bother you as much...but damn, 80 is way too hot for inside temps for me.
Summertime, the AC keeps the temp at around 72-73 max, though I'll let it get down to 68-69 and not be "cold".
When it hits 74 inside...I'm no longer comfortable.
In the wintertime...the heat is usually set around 66-68, and at night I turn it down to about 60.

I just prefer it on the cooler side...though if I gotta work outside, and it's like 95...I can adjust to it, but I don't particularly like being hot-n-sweaty as an all-day-n-night lifestyle. Too oppressive.
You get to a point where you are still hot-n-sweaty in your T-shirt and shorts...and then what? :p
With the cold, adding another layer, I still feel comfortable.
I spent many years skiing, most of the winter day after day...not sure if that affected my preferences.

Check your room for mushrooms. :D ;)..

:laughings:

My last apartment here.. the patio and it's very large sliding glass door & windows was oriented facing West. The A/C could not put a dent in the heat that accumulated in that place in the Summer. I even put up heavy, floor to ceiling drapes with a solid white back drape. I'd get home from work and the thermostat would be pegged off the scale and it would take 4-5 hours just to bring the temp down to 85-90F.

I think the problem there was these apartments had their A/C-Heater units at one end of the patio. Just sitting there baking in the same heat.. it couldn't transfer any from the apartment. My current place is oriented East-West and stays nice all year.

It's been cooking here for a few weeks with no real breaks. Car always says it's 100º (F) when I'm driving around, which is as little as possible.

Had both A/C units (whole house, except one for upstairs, one for downstairs) replaced in the last few years with higher efficiency units so the electric bill has been Ok, but the upstairs one still runs a lot. I don't spend much time in the music room up there, as a consequence since it's a pretty steady 80 in the daytime, and recording is not happening with air conditioner kicking on all the time, plus the neighbor's, who haven't replaced their aging unit, so when it's on, I know it...

It's almost to the point you start thinking, maybe a nice tropical storm, or even a small hurricane, centered about 100+ east or south, might not be a bad thing. (If it happens, it's not my fault.)

I see a lot of mobile homes in parks with 240V A/C-Heat units outside on a concrete pad. I've heard nightmare stories about some of their summer electric bills.

Hey...it's not cheap to keep an entire house nice and cool all summer...but it beats living all sweaty and hot with a fan blowing warm air at you while you're stretched out on the couch shirtless and in you underwear, to hot to move. :laughings:
I stopped freaking out about my electric bill a long time ago...and I just pay to be comfortable and also to use my studio, which alone can run up the electric bill.

I certainly couldn't run my studio without the central AC in the summertime. I have a direct duct going to the studio...so no noise.
Heck, if I fire up a good amount of my gear, plus the console and 2" tape deck...even with the AC, it can warm up some, but it's certainly comfortable. Without the AC, I couldn't run all that in the summer and be comfortable.
In the winter, I don't have to heat it too much when the gear is in use...it's just naturally warm.

Apart from the personal comfort...there's also the consideration for the instruments and the equipment, and not just the audio stuff, but your typical furniture, appliances, your clothes...etc. The heat isn't the issue...but the humidity is, and you can seriously have mold-n-funk in areas that don't get a lot air circulation when you have heat-n-humidity plus dark-n-confined spaces.

Here in Cali it's a temperate 70 degrees with no humidity all year round...least that's what we'd like all you suckers to think ;)

Yeah this summer has been a smoker...I'm 20 miles east of Los Angeles and 30 miles from the coast. Not the hottest part of So Cal but not like living in that 5 miles from the coast luxury zone...They're always 10 or so degrees cooler. We've had probably 20 days of triple digit weather so far this summer and plenty of mid to high 90's...usually don't start experiencing the humidity until August but it came early this year

Being a traveler I have had the pleasure of experiencing real heat and real humidity throughout the states, Europe and Asia.......but for me the worst was in southern China (Guangzhou) right around this time of year...not cool on so many levels

Last edited:
Here in Cali it's a temperate 70 degrees with no humidity all year round...least that's what we'd like all you suckers to think ;)

Yeah...that's always how they sell it...they say "the average temp in South California is a comfortable 70 degrees" ...but the only word in that statement that matters or means anything is "average". :D

TBH...as much as I hate the real hot-n-humid days in the summer...or the absolutely bitter days of winter (we only get a total of a couple/three weeks of that here)...I would not want to live in any "average" climate.
I really enjoy the distinctive four seasons...yes, even the dark days of winter, more than the hot-n-humid days of summer.

I don't find any appeal in "oh, just another perfect blue-sky day". It wears out after a week or so, and I find myself wishing for some rain. :)

My only time in California was a 6 week summer vacation before starting jr. high school in July '67 and that was as described.. sunny
and low humidity - I thought I was in heaven. Spent 1 of those weeks in the Baja deserts on a 2-jeep trek 600 miles down the west
coast, then back up the east coast. Now those temps were more in the 120-125F area - though surprisingly tolerable. I always wore
long sleeves/jeans, boots, straw hat, and a cowhide jacket with fringe.

... before starting jr. high school in July '67...

And I would have bet you were one of the young'uns around here! :p

I guess what throws me is your avatar picture...not sure who that was or if it was you.
So who is that in the picture...?...probably some name musician you're a fan of...?

:D I'm only that young on the inside.

My avatar is a pencil drawing of John Lennon called 'Working Class Hero'.

hxi9Sx5.jpg

We've had heat/humidity up here in the Northeast for 2 weeks, too. Since last Thursday, high temperatures back to the low/mid 80s instead of 90s, though. As other said, its the 'walking around all sweaty; (as soon as you do anything physical) that sucks.

Back