Installing a Prehung Entry Door

ShanPeyton

I know i could youtube/google this subject but... it's youtube/internet. I figured i'd ask you guys as i somehow trust most of you.

I ordered a new prehung entry door for the homestead. No idea what i am doing and don't feel like paying a 'handyman' to do something i am probably capable of.

Advice / Wisdom / Resources. etc.

Pay a handyman to do it. Seriously.

I've built 3 studios over the years and the doors have always been a problem for me.

re: THIS POST

I must have installed hundreds of doors and frames in my old job as a joiner and the variety of building construction, door and frame design and the particulars of each situation are too varied and disparate to give you any specific tips whatsoever. Sorry. :D

Prehungs are pretty simple stupid as long as the size of the door matches the opening. As Ghost mentioned shims. The finishing off of the exterior can get tricky if it is stucco. If you're ok with just framing with a wood molding that's pretty easy.

I haven't done hundreds of doors but I've done both prehung and make it fit yourself...Prehung is about a bazillion times easier...and no need for a router or door knob jig.....I don't especially like hanging doors but I hate paying $75 to $150 a door to someone else. Understanding square, plumb and level and you can get the door to work...Good Luck...Oh yeah, and Hell yeah, watch a few youtube instructional videos before you go for it.

I figured i'd ask you guys as i somehow trust most of you.

Right here I have to question your decision making ability.

No idea what i am doing and don't feel like paying a 'handyman' to do something i am probably capable of.

Okay, now I answered my own question.

But seriously, I've installed quite a few pass doors in my day, and I install various types of doors that aren't pass doors for a living. What it really boils down to, is your skill level with tools and such. Over the years I have finished quite a few jobs that someone started to "save money".

Make sure you have plenty of RTV on the bottom for a nice seal. It is square and plumb (shims), watch how it matches your trim, I like using foam for the gaps, but let that stuff expand out, let it dry, then with a bread knife to something, cut off the excess. Use screws to mount, that way if you screw up, easier to fix.

I also suggest you paint it before you put it on, then touch up after installed.

About all I have.

I'm going to disagree with square and plumb, that's the ideal, in the real world you sometimes have to find a happy medium, depending on the opening.

Shims and Patientce seem to be a the winning answers. I think the door gets here on saturday?? So i got a few days to wrap my mind around it.

The door is fibreglass, the jambs are vinyl coated on the inside and wood on the part that will attatch to the wall frameing. I measured that sucker at least 8 times and got my wife to double check my measurements in the end. Should be good for sizing. It is Vinyl siding and currently a wooden brick mould type thing on the outside.

this should in theory be and o.k. project. I am planning on an entire day to get in and the exterior trim back in place.

I'll try and photo document the project so you can all have a good lol.

Hung three at the church couple of months ago. The first one was difficult. Then someone showed up to help. Other two were easy. Highly recommend having a second person. :)

Measure the hole. If it's not big enough take a skill saw and enlarge it. Push the prehung door asembly into the hole. Level and square it up. Make sure the door opens and closes properly. Nail the sucker.

The hardest part is enlarging the hole of its too small. If it's a simular door to the one that's already in there the hole is probably just right.

Installing a pre-hung door is a piece of cake.

Last edited:
I would screw it in. I would also pre-drill the holes to keep wood splitting down.
Nails...screws....either one will work. Some things I use nails instead of screws for cosmetic purposes. I use large finish nails for mounting pre-hung doors

I'd use screws every time. Simply because if you need to re hang that sucker you can get it out with minimal damage to trim. Also pack first whatever you do. Measure the diagonals before you fix. This is all simple second fix stuff... wheres the issue?

Screws will be visible - but you can countersink them, then put plugs in. Finish nails - punch the head in, and a little wood putty and you're good. If you need to redo it, punch the nails all the way through with another nail! Don't drive the nails in all the way until you've got everything lined up right.

Screws will be visible - but you can countersink them, then put plugs in. Finish nails - punch the head in, and a little wood putty and you're good. If you need to redo it, punch the nails all the way through with another nail! Don't drive the nails in all the way until you've got everything lined up right.

Wood putty the screw, just countersink and make them lower. I just like the option.

Back