I'm ready for some football.

The rumors around here are that Jay Gruden doesn't want RGIII and Dan Snyder is considering firing the coach and retaining the QB. That understanding has been established since RGIII was drafted, which probably had a hand in why RGIII felt empowered to go to Shanahan and tell him which plays were "unacceptable."

What a shit show. /Sigh. I remember back when the Redskins were a professional football organization.

What a shit show. /Sigh. I remember back when the Redskins were a professional football organization.

Me too. For most of my football watching life, the Skins have been a serious player. A serious team. One of the elite organizations. It's so odd to see them go from perennial relevance to a complete joke. Even the Raiders think they look bad.

When I was growing up an Eagles fan in the late 80s-early 90s, the whole NFC East was a fucking crucible. Didn't matter how good our team got, and it got pretty good in the Randall Cunningham/Buddy Ryan years... there was always somebody better, and it could have been the Giants, Cowboys, or Redskins. The 'skins were always to be respected. Not so anymore. As happy as I am to know they are no threat to the Eagles anymore, I think I liked it better when they were legitimate competition as opposed to a laughing stock.

Can we just pretend RG3 doesn't exist and make Cousins the permanent starter with McCoy as his backup? I swear man, Cousins just needs 1 good season as the starter and he'll be great. None of this back-and-forth crap with RG3. He looked good tonight, and made the rest of our offense look good.

Our defensive secondary is probably still bottom-5 in the league, but hey, at least we've got nice pass rush this season :D

Can we just pretend RG3 doesn't exist and make Cousins the permanent starter with McCoy as his backup? I swear man, Cousins just needs 1 good season as the starter and he'll be great. None of this back-and-forth crap with RG3. He looked good tonight, and made the rest of our offense look good.

Our defensive secondary is probably still bottom-5 in the league, but hey, at least we've got nice pass rush this season :D

Been awhile - just popped in to see if you said anything smart. :D

Well....you're gettin' there! :p

Watch out for them Saints this year. Just sayin'.:thumbs up:

Nice brawl yesterday. Horrible bush league WWE tackle to instigate it, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

If Jay Gruden is anything like his brother, he's got zero patience for QBs who don't play by his rules. RGIII built up his hype machine before he played a single down in the NFL. I hate to think that I'm so petty that I'd root for a guy I've never met to fail, but he is precisely the type of guy I'd like to see fail. Goodbye, RGIII. We hardly knew ye.

RGIII built up his hype machine before he played a single down in the NFL.

That's not entirely true. The way I remember it, he was adored in college and won the Heisman. A Heisman winner inherits some hype that's out of his control. Everyone was worried about the beating he would take in the NFL being a read-option, run around, sling it QB, but no one hated him yet. He came across as a humble, smart, polite guy. And his rookie season was pretty good until the beating wore him down. That off-season after his rookie year is when it all came undone. That's when he made it all about himself. He hasn't done shit since, and it's getting worse. We're witnessing one of the biggest flame-outs in NFL history. :laughings:

I swear, winning the Heisman in college is the kiss of death for your NFL career. Those dudes rarely become anything afterwards. Cam Newton, RG3, Matt Leinart, Tebow, etc. the list goes on forever. Will be interesting to see how Manziel, Winston, and Mariota turn out this season!

I swear, winning the Heisman in college is the kiss of death for your NFL career. Those dudes rarely become anything afterwards. Cam Newton, RG3, Matt Leinart, Tebow, etc. the list goes on forever. Will be interesting to see how Manziel, Winston, and Mariota turn out this season!
it IS strange how that seems to happen.

These guys HAVE to be good to win the Heisman ..... and sure, college ball is different than the pros.
But that's true for players who didn't win the Heisman too.
So you'd think at least SOME of them would do ok but it never happens ...... why is that?

it IS strange how that seems to happen.

These guys HAVE to be good to win the Heisman ..... and sure, college ball is different than the pros.
But that's true for players who didn't win the Heisman too.
So you'd think at least SOME of them would do ok but it never happens ...... why is that?

It's mostly only true when it's a QB. Heisman RBs and WRs have generally done quite well. But the Heisman has become an MVP-QB award, and razzle-dazzle college QBs don't often pan out in the NFL. What makes a QB great in college makes him a laughing stock in the NFL. A Heisman quality RB or WR can transition almost seamlessly into the NFL....if they stay out of jail.

Look at my LSU boy Odell Beckham. Heisman finalist, killing it in the NFL. WR.

Yeah that's true. Plus QBs are often erroneously credited for team success. It's as if the voters would prefer a Blaine Gabbert to a Reggie White.

Who was the last Heisman winner to make it big?

Charles Woodson comes to mind, I'm drawing a blank otherwise.

How do you define make it big? Reggie Bush and Mark Ingram have done pretty well. Cam Newton isn't a guy I'd want at QB, but he's not flaming out. Carson Palmer is still around and has done well for himself. Sam Bradford is somehow still in the league. So there's 5 in the last 12 years or so that haven't imploded. Any of them future hall of famers? Doubt it. But they're not busts.

Yeah, he's honestly the most recent truly successful one. Reggie Bush is pretty meh (well at least he was until Aqib Talib murdered him the other day....RIP Reggie). Oh wait Reggie didn't win the Heisman ;) Ingram is starting to look ok I guess. Other than those guys and Woodson, to see a truly successful Heisman winner I think you have to go back to Eddie George in '95. Also, some guy named Barry Sanders in '88. Heard he was pretty good :D

Any of them future hall of famers? Doubt it. But they're not busts.
Woodson is a HOF player.

I don't think any of the players you mentioned are busts, it's just that they didn't achieve the same kind of success as they had in college. They're all second tier players.

Woodson is a HOF player.

I don't think any of the players you mentioned are busts, it's just that they didn't achieve the same kind of success as they had in college. They're all second tier players.

Woodson is a HOFer for sure.

I don't think it's fair to hold a Heisman winner to a high standard. It's a nice award, but as everyone knows it doesn't translate to the NFL. The odds are stacked against Heisman winners. They're going from being the big fish in a small pond to being a minnow in an ocean of sharks. Every player on any NFL roster is better than every kid Mr Heisman faced in college. Raw talent can take you far in college. Raw talent might get you on the practice squad in the NFL. Look at Vince Young and Tim Tebow. Those two might be the best college QBs we've seen in recent memory. Pure raw talent. They out-footballed their weak college competition. Johnny Manziel too. Same thing. He ran around and made other college kids miss. In the NFL...to quote Lee Corso, "Not so fast, my friend". One of them is flipping burgers now, the other is hanging on by a thread, who knows what will happen to little Johnny..

I think draft position should be the barometer on how one gauges expectations. High draft pick - he better be good for a long time. Low draft pick - less expectations, bigger reward.

That's not entirely true. The way I remember it, he was adored in college and won the Heisman. A Heisman winner inherits some hype that's out of his control. Everyone was worried about the beating he would take in the NFL being a read-option, run around, sling it QB, but no one hated him yet. He came across as a humble, smart, polite guy. And his rookie season was pretty good until the beating wore him down. That off-season after his rookie year is when it all came undone. That's when he made it all about himself. He hasn't done shit since, and it's getting worse. We're witnessing one of the biggest flame-outs in NFL history. :laughings:

You are correct... I will blame the liquor for clouding my memory. During his senior year, he did come off as humble, smart and polite, and the media played up the whole "both parents in the military" thing. I liked him myself until he became a Redskin. Then as he had success early on as a Redskin, as a Birds fan, I began to hate him. He did start believing his own bullshit at some point during his rookie season (presumably), when every other media report out of Washington was that RG3 won't listen to Shanahan, his teammates are pissed because he's too close to the owner, etc. I think where he totally lost me was the "RG3 for Week 1" media campaign he launched when he was coming back from his knee injury from the playoff game.

Anyway, we hardly knew ye.

Back