I'm ready for some football.

Fucking hell....Saints DE/OL Will Smith (not that Will Smith) is out for year with torn ACL. Fucking shit. That guy is one of our big guns.

I'm always ready for some football!

I really hope the Packers are holding back, because I've seen nothing this preseason to get excited about.

I watch any football that's on, but mostly NFL, I've been going the the high school games for ten years now too.

I guess I'm lucky, my team is owned by the people and plays for the people, that's why they'll never move from where they originated.

I'm always ready for some football!

I really hope the Packers are holding back, because I've seen nothing this preseason to get excited about.

I watch any football that's on, but mostly NFL, I've been going the the high school games for ten years now too.

I guess I'm lucky, my team is owned by the people and plays for the people, that's why they'll never move from where they originated.

I wasn't a believer in Aaron Rodgers when he first came into the league. I didn't think he would suck, but I wasn't convinced that he was the next Joe Montana either. Now I'm pretty convinced that he's a bad dude. I like his style. He's a gunslinger with a chip on his shoulder.

I forgot about that about the packers. Plus, they love playing in the arctic weather. I love watching a game played in the freezing cold rain when I've got the a/c blasting on a super hot day with wings and ice cold beer.

I forgot about that about the packers. Plus, they love playing in the arctic weather. I love watching a game played in the freezing cold rain when I've got the a/c blasting on a super hot day with wings and ice cold beer.

Haha, right? I like bad weather games too.......when it's not one of my teams in the game.

There's a big worry floating around that this year's Superbowl, being held outdoors in NYC, is gonna be a snowy mess because the Farmer's Almanac says so.

Haha, right? I like bad weather games too.......when it's not one of my teams in the game.

There's a big worry floating around that this year's Superbowl, being held outdoors in NYC, is gonna be a snowy mess because the Farmer's Almanac says so.

What a crock. Football was meant to be played outdoors in the cold on grass. The NFC championship could be in GB or CHI. The AFC Championship could be in Boston or NYC. The SB should be no different.

What a crock. Football was meant to be played outdoors in the cold on grass. The NFC championship could be in GB or CHI. The AFC Championship could be in Boston or NYC. The SB should be no different.

I'd prefer it be in the Superdome so it's a home game for the Saints.

Just as an aside, I gather that when you're talking "football" in the US, you all know what game you're talking about...

Over here if you say did you watch the footy on the weekend, you'll generally be asked... "What football? League? Union? Aussie Rules? Football? (aka soccer)..."

Sumfin' for everyone. There's even a gridiron (that's what we call US football, no idea if it's correct or not) league here although it's not televised.

Continue...:D

Just as an aside, I gather that when you're talking "football" in the US, you all know what game you're talking about...

Over here if you say did you watch the footy on the weekend, you'll generally be asked... "What football? League? Union? Aussie Rules? Football? (aka soccer)..."

Sumfin' for everyone. There's even a gridiron (that's what we call US football, no idea if it's correct or not) league here although it's not televised.

Continue...:D

"Gridiron" is old, old, old school terminology for our football. And it's more a term for the field itself, if I'm right about my football history. When the forward pass became popular in the early days, the yards gained came in larger chunks. To accurately keep up with a teams downs and distance, they painted yard lines and hashmarks on the field. This lead to players and fans calling the field a "gridiron" because it looked like a BBQ pit grill.

"Gridiron" is old, old, old school terminology for our football. And it's more a term for the field itself, if I'm right about my football history. When the forward pass became popular in the early days, the yards gained came in larger chunks. To accurately keep up with a teams downs and distance, they painted yard lines and hashmarks on the field. This lead to players and fans calling the field a "gridiron" because it looked like a BBQ pit grill.

Yeah, I sort of thought it might be. I used to watch it when I worked nights and got home at 2 am and couldn't get to sleep. It would always be on in the wee hours. Took a while but I worked it all out... beats soccer as a spectator sport any day.

Yeah, I sort of thought it might be. I used to watch it when I worked nights and got home at 2 am and couldn't get to sleep. It would always be on in the wee hours. Took a while but I worked it all out... beats soccer as a spectator sport any day.

I know soccer is the world's game or whatever, but I think it's a horrible spectator sport. Horrible for TV anyway. The field is too big, the action is way too slow, and scoring just doesn't happen enough. I can only assume that going to the "match" is more fun for the social event aspect than actually watching the sport. Get drunk, holler, chant, and be a hooligan. That seems fun. The sport itself....yawn. I do totally respect the athleticism and physical conditioning required by the players to run around so much. It's still boring as hell though. I think of it like baseball. Baseball is a lot of yawning with sporadic little bursts of action here and there. Going to a baseball game is great fun. Watching it on TV is great for a nap.

I don't watch football or soccer but I used to watch a lot of rugby. Those guys don't leave the field unless their eyeballs are hanging out and bleeding. Blood is the key in rugby, you could totally have an eyeball hanging out and keep playing, but if you got a BLOODY eye ball, then you'd have to get off.

I'm not a masochist, but I really do quite like a bit of blood and gore in sports. Do you get much of that kind of thing in American Football with all that padding and those helmets? :D

Ah shit, girls are well annoying, I know. Anyways, I like Tour de France best. Because, you know, I just like to see things hanging out. :)

I don't watch football or soccer but I used to watch a lot of rugby. Those guys don't leave the field unless their eyeballs are hanging out and bleeding. Blood is the key in rugby, you could totally have an eyeball hanging out and keep playing, but if you got a BLOODY eye ball, then you'd have to get off.

I'm not a masochist, but I really do quite like a bit of blood and gore in sports. Do you get much of that kind of thing in American Football with all that padding and those helmets? :D

Ah shit, girls are well annoying, I know. Anyways, I like Tour de France best. Because, you know, I just like to see things hanging out. :)

Haha yeah rugby is awesome. I'd watch it all the time if it got any coverage here in the USA. American football is sometimes bloody, but what's worse about it, and more awesome, are the savagely broken bones and dislocations. You ALWAYS see dude's knees being bent backwards, sideways, twisted around, their legs flopping over like they have extra joints, arms being folded in half,.....what it lacks in actual blood it makes up for with snapped limbs and shredded joints. Some of that stuff is pretty graphic and can make you queasy. Snot-bubbling concussions are a huge issue these days in the NFL with lawsuits coming from ex-players for having degenerative brain disorders. Rugby players don't really wear any padding, but they're not nearly as fast, big, or powerful as American football players are either. Even with helmets and padding dudes are getting their shit really fucked up.

They did well in the late 2000s too didn't they? I got into NFL when Warner was QB and they were getting into play offs and even the Superbowl - I thought at the time that they were one of the big teams...and then he retired and they faded back to nothing. I guess I was pretty wrong on that.

I don't remember them in the late 2000's...it's possible. The big Kurt Warner years were around 1999 or so....until 2001 when the patriots upset them in that incredibly awesome super bowl. I think that was the beginning of the end for the greatest show on turf.

Good lord...Tim Tebow made the 1st cut and is still a patriot! He's trying for that coveted 3rd quarterback position. Quite a change from the media darling "savior" of the broncos a while back.

You ALWAYS see dude's knees being bent backwards, sideways, twisted around, their legs flopping over like they have extra joints, arms being folded in half,.....what it lacks in actual blood it makes up for with snapped limbs and shredded joints.

That sounds great. It's kind of weird how I enjoy that part of sport, I'm not violent or anything. I just really like watching humans making the decision to put themselves on that field to get really tired, ultra hot, and totally fucked up beyond repair for a bit of glory and my entertainment. They're seriously the best. :D

That sounds great. It's kind of weird how I enjoy that part of sport, I'm not violent or anything. I just really like watching humans making the decision to put themselves on that field to get really tired, ultra hot, and totally fucked up beyond repair for a bit of glory and my entertainment. They're seriously the best. :D

That's pretty much exactly how I look at it. Some people get really upset that people on a team that they pull for aren't choir boy angelic members of society. I personally don't care. I'd rather my teams be full of thugs and degenerates. Those guys win games. They're generally better ball players than the honor roll students. I look at football players as pieces in a big chess game being played for my amusement. I don't care that they're actual human beings. Run faster, hit harder, do your job and entertain me. That's what I want. :D

They used to call them gladiators.

Back