I'm ready for some football.

yeah, we had a pretty good team at one point. Top three in high school nationals. I wasn't on that team, though, I was on the freshman team. I still got the legs from it, too. Not any chicken legs like runners and cyclists have.

I was practically a pro at hacky sack and frisbee at UMaine!

I used to throw frisbees a lot. I remember me and a buddy of mine got on this total frisbee kick and we'd buy all these different weight frisbees for different wind conditions. I think we had a 160g for light wind, a 175g for moderate wind, and the big dog 200g for really windy days. And then there were the trick frisbees and long range aerobees. The aerobees were basically unusable. They'd just fly for days at 3 million miles per hour. Lol. Totally gay.

I was practically a pro at hacky sack and frisbee at UMaine!

And....we're back to pot smoking. :D

I like football for the chicken wings and the cold ones, and for the way my kid gets all excited about it. When people get into it far enough that they are offended by your choice of favorite team (as they often are here in Chicago toward Packer fans) I ask them how much fun the game would be if we all liked the same team.

yeah, we had a pretty good team at one point. Top three in high school nationals. I wasn't on that team, though, I was on the freshman team. I still got the legs from it, too. Not any chicken legs like runners and cyclists have.

That shit is impressive to me. I watched it in the olympics and those guys were totally in unison and very powerful. Pretty cool.

That shit is impressive to me. I watched it in the olympics and those guys were totally in unison and very powerful. Pretty cool.

It's all legs and back. And if you fall out of synch, the guy in front of you catches your oar in his back. That hurts!!

I used to throw frisbees a lot. I remember me and a buddy of mine got on this total frisbee kick and we'd buy all these different weight frisbees for different wind conditions. I think we had a 160g for light wind, a 175g for moderate wind, and the big dog 200g for really windy days. And then there were the trick frisbees and long range aerobees. The aerobees were basically unusable. They'd just fly for days at 3 million miles per hour. Lol. Totally gay.

I don't remember the aerobees...175g was always my favorite...a good all purpose size/weight. I don't see too many nice frisbees around anymore. When we pack for the beach now it's always like some dinky little free one we got from a restaurant or something...totally useless and they just go the way of the wind.

And....we're back to pot smoking. :D

:D Sorry...I'll try to stay on topic.

I like me some football. But I've lived in St. Louis all my life--first the Cardinals, and now the Rams. Sheesh! It's pretty easy to see why I'm more of a baseball fan.

But we'll give 'em another chance--gonna buy a ticket package and see how it turns out. Hell, just going to the games is fun--no matter what. And we'll make a road trip or two up to Columbia to see the Missouri Tigers get beat by some of their new SEC opponents.

The Cardinals aren't really ever going to be good, are they? The Rams were amazing for that brief window in the late '90's, but since then....hmmm.

The weekend we went to the UT game was the week of Daryl K Royals' passing (the stadium's namesake), so they had a special tribute for him. It was pretty cool to see a hundred thousand people come together like that.

UTFtbll.jpg

Man, I thought the roles of Missouri and Texas A&M would be reversed. I thought for sure Missouri would adapt quicker than the Aggies.

I was sure hoping so. I drove up for the Alabama game last year. It would have been depressing without the brutal freezing rain. This year? We're going up for the Aggies. We'll see...

I was sure hoping so. I drove up for the Alabama game last year. It would have been depressing without the brutal freezing rain. This year? We're going up for the Aggies. We'll see...

There's no telling when LSU will play Mizzou. Besides our yearly bash with Florida, LSU doesn't play the SEC east that much. Not even the heavies like Georgia and S Car. I do think we have Georgia this year though. Being in the SEC west, LSU's schedule is pretty nasty every year, and next year's is flat-out brutal. It sucks being saddled with Bama, Auburn, Arkansas, and Florida every single year. Every year, we play those teams without fail. And now add the dumb Aggies to that. The SEC west is rough. But, if you win it, you're on the fast track to the national championship. The SEC champ should just be crowned the national champ outright. :D

20130826_164105-1.jpgView attachment 81599
The Cardinals aren't really ever going to be good, are they? The Rams were amazing for that brief window in the late '90's, but since then....hmmm.

They did well in the late 2000s too didn't they? I got into NFL when Warner was QB and they were getting into play offs and even the Superbowl - I thought at the time that they were one of the big teams...and then he retired and they faded back to nothing. I guess I was pretty wrong on that.

I do enjoy the game, even though the Sunday Night Football game is usually the only one I get to watch each week - Giants are my team - biased by the teams that get picked for SNF coverage. I'm still not sure I've ever seen a team like the Browns in anything but highlights. Been to a couple of the International Series games at Wembley though, so seen the Pats & 49ers...as well as umm, some pretty mediocre Broncos and Buccs.

I love the new season feeling mentioned in the thread though - fresh optimism as well as the end of summer weather. Soccer football's my main sport - come february it feels like endurance shivering in the stands as the weather changes and reality dawns. The attached pic was my perfect bank holiday afternoon today - beer, sunshine and cricket :D

Back