If meat eaters acted like vegans

TAE

All you have is now
I'm cool with my vegan friends and family. I know that eating as much meat as I do is not the most prudent diet but I likes my steaks n burgers...I did the veg thing for about a year in my 20's but had some health issues ( probably had nothing to do with my diet ) and said to hell with it I'm eating meat....The rest is delicious history...The video is kind of funny...Love the Orca argument...mmmmmmm Baby seal!

At a school function today, I met a guy who works for the Texas Beef Industry; he does the marketing for them. I told him he's got the best job ever.

Though I am currently a meat eater...We've been lightening up on the red meat...a lot more chicken and a lot more vegetables...I am considering ...considering.... walking away from the meat thing..not saying NEVER eating it but eating it a LOT less and eating a lot more plant based diet..

This guy is an extremist on the Veg side and accused of "cherry picking" data and statistics to sway people to the veg way of life...nevertheless some fun stuff to consider ...good talk..I believe he is sincere and wants to make a difference..

Been a veggie for 34 years now, always regret not going vegan, dont really care that much to do it now but I do consider it every now and then...

Guy does a funny gluten allergy video too

Been a veggie for 34 years now, always regret not going vegan, dont really care that much to do it now but I do consider it every now and then...

I'm going on 5 years of lacto-ovo. Tried vegan for a couple months but it was waaaaay too restrictive. The no meat thing is easy but trying to eliminate all animal products was a pain in the ass.

Also, I don't really give a shit what anyone else eats. The video is cute, though.

Hey man...watch that second video that is way pro plant based diet. A VERY important supplement that veggies and vegans need to be taking to enjoy the benefits of the plant based diet is B12, without it your longevity and risk of heart and other diseases is only on par with meat eaters...:wtf:??? :eek:

Hey man...watch that second video that is way pro plant based diet. A VERY important supplement that veggies and vegans need to be taking to enjoy the benefits of the plant based diet is B12, without it your longevity and risk of heart and other diseases is only on par with meat eaters...:wtf:??? :eek:
I did a complete blood test two years after I quit eating meat. The only deficiency I had was B12. I take a supplement daily.

I'm going on 5 years of lacto-ovo. Tried vegan for a couple months but it was waaaaay too restrictive. The no meat thing is easy but trying to eliminate all animal products was a pain in the ass.

Also, I don't really give a shit what anyone else eats. The video is cute, though.

yup Id kinda go with that....a world without cheese is not a world I want to be part of

I take liquid B12, when I remember

I'm not particularly healthy, nor did I stop eating meat to be healthy...always found it pretty disgusting and on the few occasions Ive accidentally tasted it I havent been impressed

except a sliver of parma ham that found its way onto my breakfast ciabatta in 2002 :)

I've read that How Not To Die book on my pretty intense journey of trying to figure out the best diet for me. I've landed on my intake being about 90-95% plant based, and trying to bias towards raw as much as practical. The only animal protein I eat is a couple of servings of fin fish and an occasional egg or two per week. I supplement B12. Limit sugar and simple carbs, but give in on occasion.

That said, my own reading/research tells me a huge aspect is in the balance of omega fatty acids. The biggest change in my health I've ever felt is when I started really concentrating on getting several servings a day of flax, chia, and hemp seeds and/or their oils (hemp also relaxes me for some reason even though they say there's no thc. I take it at night because it makes me sleepy). I got off of my blood pressure meds, take way less of everything else like antacids, pain meds, etc. I just feel younger. I don't know if my regular food diet has played as big of a part compared to that. Perhaps I'd still feel good if I ate steak as long as I took the other omega 3 sources. I don't know, but I'm going to stick with what I'm doing. The Dr. Greger book is pretty compelling to me.

Edit -
Dr. Greger has a good video here. It's long but you can skip to around the 20min mark and get the gist in about 10 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7KeRwdIH04

Last edited:
There are other things that we limit that others might, we dont use non stick,plastic spoons, plastic containers... my wifes colleague in UCSD was doing a lot of research into plastics in the kitchen and the results on the brain and it wasnt good...we also only microwave in glass, never in the packaging some foods come in.

Nutrient wise microwaving is pretty good so is pressure cooking, which is great for tender meats (wife and kids are omnivores) but we will only use organic, not always as good as it makes out to be but better than the alternative.

Also if you do avoid red meat by eating meatless products be careful of things like boca burgers etc, they use hexane to remove fat from the product so they can market it as a diet, as well as veggie,...not so good

The organic versions are hexane free.

Crazy what we stick in our bodies

we also only microwave in glass, never in the packaging some foods come in.

I like this idea. But isn't microwave-ware made from cellulose of some sort?

If it's plastic, I might consider changing to glass.

Also if you do avoid red meat by eating meatless products be careful of things like boca burgers etc, they use hexane to remove fat from the product so they can market it as a diet, as well as veggie,...not so good

The organic versions are hexane free.

Crazy what we stick in our bodies

That's good to know. I miss meat and I do eat the fake meat products when I have a jones for it. I make a killer vegan cheese sauce, and I like to slather a veggie burger with it along with some sauteed mushrooms and onions when the raw crap doesn't cut it.

What cookware do you use? I use cast iron, but I am thinking about alternatives.

I like this idea. But isn't microwave-ware made from cellulose of some sort?

If it's plastic, I might consider changing to glass.

Yeah its not always plastics, but my habits just to use glass...i think just because theyve an alternative it might be shown to have problems later...much like BPA being replaced by BPS which may be just as harmful

That's good to know. I miss meat and I do eat the fake meat products when I have a jones for it. I make a killer vegan cheese sauce, and I like to slather a veggie burger with it along with some sauteed mushrooms and onions when the raw crap doesn't cut it.

What cookware do you use? I use cast iron, but I am thinking about alternatives.

Ive used cast iron, but with the kids it was a bit cumbersome and harder to clean so everything is stainless steel...no teflon in our rice cooker, pressure cooker, baking trays etc either. we use bamboo and wooden spoons and hardened ceramic for frying.

It seems like a bit of a hassle but you only have to replace it once...

Back