If I seem more pissed off than normal

Man ya'll .... some sadness in this thread.
Sorry 'bout your dog Bruce .... Zuma's still here but it's getting close.
We had a breakthrough last Thursday where she finally figured out to let me hold her up for peeing and pooping.
previously she seemed to think my hands down there were to push her away or stop her.
But suddenly she got it and we had a few days of semi-normalcy for her.

However tonight she didn't seem able to stand at all ..... I can pick her up (90lbs ..... I'm a bad ass old dude ) but obviously that can't go on very long so it's drawing near I'm afraid.
I'm actually a lot better about it .... the last month it's be really hard ..... but that was because I was going to do it before it was quite time.
Now that I've decided I'll do whatever is needed, I feel a lot better because I know I won't do it until it's truly time.
That makes a difference to me.

Jimmy ..... man I'm sorry for what you've been thru .... good luck and take care of yourself.

Everybody has to decide for themselves, what's right for them and what they can handle.

For me, I accompany my dog when the deed is done. The first dog, years ago, I just handed her over and bolted. I had already went and paid, because I knew I would not handle it well all at once. I then went home to get her and take her there. It was all surreal, that day. She had a large cancer on her stomach, a bulge. At first I wasn't going to put her through surgery, she was old. But I didn't want to lose her. So finally decided on opting for surgery. Turned out she also had a heart condition, and would have to see a cardiologist in an attempt to get her heart under control before they would do surgery. That sealed it. I wasn't going to put her through all of that, have her last days consumed with trauma. The growth on/in her stomach was beginning to break the skin, and I didn't want the end to become a traumatic emergency situation to put her down if it ruptured. Anyway...

The wife and I had been back in forth until finally realizing what truly had to be done. It might sound bad, but I knew what I was going to do that day, but did not tell my wife before she left for work. I know my wife, she would not be able to handle it. I just made sure we loved on the dog a lot the previous night, and that morning. It was a beautiful day, sunny with a gentle breeze. I went and paid. Came home and took my girl for a walk, she tired easily, but she could do a short walk. There were 2 older ladies I had never seen, sitting on their front porch. They waved and said a quite cheery "Hi!". I don't know where it even came from, but I told them "This is my girl Ginger." They smiled, "She's beautiful". She was, her auburn hair blowing in the breeze. It was very surreal, knowing what I was preparing to do, the entire thing, like a dream state. She was at times a bit nippy with strangers. I wasn't thinking when carrying her in to the vet's office, and handed her over. She didn't put up a fuss at all, but it dawned on me that I should inform them to put her down on the ground. I stood there, they turned and walked away. As they walked away my little girl stopped and turned back to look at me. Her little nub of a tail wagged. Then they walked away. It kind of haunts me to this day, that moment. I got back in my vehicle, and made a few sounds I had never heard. I felt guilty for what I had done, and that I should have been there with her.

After that, I never let them go alone. It is tough, really tough, but I feel I owe it to them to be there with them in those final moments.

Sorry for rambling on, i'm a bit tired and loopy, not sure i'm really helping anything. Mostly, sorry for your loss, guys. And, Jimmy, I can't imagine. So sorry.

Last edited:
man Mick ...... I too have bolted rather than stay to the end and I also regret it.
I'm determined I'll carry her in myself and stand there.

ummmm, gee ...... I thought I was better about it ...... huh, guess I'm not.

:(

ok I'm back.

Everyone loves their dog ..... something we can all agree on.
Mine's having a rough night ..... for the very first time she seems to be feeling bad ...... zero interest in eating ....... maybe she'll pass in the night ...... wouldn't that be awesome?

I don't know what to say to that, probably. Seems counter intuitive, but I kind of hoped my last would pass during the night, and go in his own home, in his own bed rather than a strange place. Whatever is best for you, and Zuma, of course.

With my boy Cody, the last to go, I got down on that pissy vet floor with him. First male dog i'd ever had, he was my sidekick, my main man, my buddy. He went fairly peacefully. At least I wasn't out in the parking lot looking at the building thinking they are in there killing my boy, at my behest, and I didn't even have the balls or the reciprocal loyalty to be there for him in those final moments. It's the least I could do.

It is a tough call how to deal with death of anyone you are close to. There is no 'good' way.

I personally couldn't handle seeing my dog put down. I witnessed my best friend being murdered on video 7 years ago. Then, after the loss of our son in car wreck was way too traumatic and the image burned into our memories forever. They allowed us to see him on the table with half his face ripped off and blood dripping from the table... Fuck...

:(

Most important I believe is that you remember the good times and not be selfish about your buddies. Let them go as peacefully and without pain as you can. I personally would want to be treated that way myself.

That is...I have no words, so won't try.

I would never judge anyone for not being there at the vet office with their pet, I hope I didn't come off that way. Everyone has the right to decide what is best for them, I fully understand and support whatever the decision. Some people may not be aware that the option is there, if they choose.

My wife was sort of the opinion that it would not be good for me to be there, that image. And, I have to admit, whenever Cody crosses my mind, often the mental picture is that image. But that is okay, for me, I did it for him more than anything else. I was there for Hannah, also. Only 2 years old, renal failure. Hardly seemed fair. She was the first where I opted to be there.

I was there not because I 'wanted' to be there, but because I thought it was the right thing to do, and the least I could do for him.We didn't want him to be scared and alone in unfamiliar surroundings for his last moments. Instead, he was as comfortable as they could make him, in peaceful surroundings, with my wife and I (and the vet techs) petting him and telling him what a good boy he was. They gave him something to put him to sleep for a while before the lethal injection. During that time, we kept petting him and talking to him. He was asleep and simply eventually stopped breathing.

Our vet's office has a special room that's almost like a chapel, with it's own entrance and exit, for this purpose. It's quiet, with dim lighting, and they put a thick, soft blanket on the floor for him. They really are good people there.

is it peaceful Mick? Do they pass peacefully?

Well, Hannah was a small dog, cocker spaniel. Man, I love my dogs like family, so I don't handle it all that great. I have a hard time speaking without breaking up. They asked if I wanted to be with her. I shook my head no. After I paid and was heading for the door I decided I should get it together and be there for her. She was a sweet little girl, so young, only 2. I asked if I could go back there with her. The vet assistant went back to see what the progress was, and returned to get me. They brought her in a room with me and she was still somewhat awake, but fading. I laid beside her and took her head in my hand, and she just went. It was very peaceful.

Cody was much different. I can't say why the entire process seemed to be different, but I will say the experience was very different.. He was about 90 lbs. The vet explained he would be given 1 shot to make him fall asleep, and then another. He told me some people are alarmed because the animal might make noises, like a snore, and the eyes might slightly open, not unlike when sleeping deeply. But he assured me, he will not feel anything or be conscious of anything. It was just as he said. To be honest, it was a bit disturbing. With every breath, as he inhaled he would snore pretty loudly, and exhale sort of forcefully. His eyes were open a little bit. It was almost like he was looking at me, but he wasn't. Then he just finally stopped. Yeah, to be perfectly honest, it was pretty fucked up. But I don't regret it. I had to be there for the guy, for 14 years he had been such a good friend to me, all the children and grandchildren, just a really good guy.

I can't say I would recommend it. It's not a pretty final memory, with Cody. With Ginger, the one before Hannah that I chose not to be there, my final memory of her was her turning to give me a final look as she walked away, her little nub tail wiggy wag, then turning again to walk away. She looked care free and happy. I know it's silly and not possible, but my wife suggested it was almost like she was saying, "It's alright, don't be sad." She was 15, had her since she was about 8 weeks old.

I don't know man, it's fucked up either way. I feel for you Lt, and you as well notCardio.

edit: I'm sorry, Lt, maybe i'm speaking too honestly and graphically. I don't mean to be insensitive to your position. Maybe I should edit this post, but I guess i'll leave as is.

Last edited:
I consider my experience to have been very peaceful for Nigel. As peaceful as it could have been, considering he wasn't feeling the best to begin with. If I ever get to have another one, I iwould never consider not being there for them.

It's sounds like they really care at your vet. That is good, and good that it was as peaceful as it could have been. RIP Nigel.

I couldn't think about getting another for quite a while. We still had one, but we've always been a 2 dog family. After about a year I was looking at a rescue on the net, located about 4 hours away. And, there he was. I just knew, he was the one. He was slated for euthanasia because he had been determined to be unadoptable, he was "feral" and captured by animal control with one of those hoops on a stick. At least that is the story I got. Somehow a rescue saved him. He was estimated to be about 3-4 months old when I got him, Oct 31st. He's a great dog. I named him Trampas, after a character on a television western series The Virginian back in the 70s. It just popped into my head, and that was it. I later learned that in spanish trampas means trap, or snare. So, there you go. Kind of weird how things work out sometimes. Based on estimated birthdate, June-July 2016, he is a little over a year old and about 90 pounds, rowdy and full of mischief, but very friendly and sociable to all. I'm very glad he was rescued, my boy Trampas.

Sounds like you were destined to find him. Also sounds like he's a lucky dog. What kind is he?

Yesterday, I just gave away Nigel's leftover food and treats and that kind of stuff.

I always consider the Virginian a '60s TV show, though it did run through '71. I just find it amusing that a guy from the UK was watching American Western TV shows. But then considering all of the BBC stuff I've watched on PBS, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Nigel was named Ruffnel after Nigel Tufnel from Spinal Tap (and a little bit after Nigella Lawson, a fixation of mine at the time).

edit: I'm sorry, Lt, maybe i'm speaking too honestly and graphically. I don't mean to be insensitive to your position. Maybe I should edit this post, but I guess i'll leave as is.
no apology needed.
I asked because I wanted to know ...... not to get some comforting bullshit response.

I thank you for telling me.

sorry for your loss Bruce ...... I feel for ya'.
I'll have a drink or three for Nigel tonight.

Sounds like you were destined to find him. Also sounds like he's a lucky dog. What kind is he?

Yesterday, I just gave away Nigel's leftover food and treats and that kind of stuff.

I always consider the Virginian a '60s TV show, though it did run through '71. I just find it amusing that a guy from the UK was watching American Western TV shows. But then considering all of the BBC stuff I've watched on PBS, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Nigel was named Ruffnel after Nigel Tufnel from Spinal Tap (and a little bit after Nigella Lawson, a fixation of mine at the time).

He was listed on the rescue website as a "boxer mix". I don't know, maybe. He doesn't have an underbite, but he does have a proud bottom lip. We've considered getting a dna test done, but haven't gotten around to it.

I know it is tough to lose a friend. It makes you wonder if you really ever want to go through that again. It takes time. You might feel you are betraying your friend if you rush out and replace him/her. Your friend can never be replaced. However, there are a lot of good ones out there who just need a chance. Even though I have a full house, I still go by the SPCA just to say hi. Here is a photo of my 2, Chloe and Trampas. Chloe from the SPCA, and Trampas from a rescue. Wife has dubbed them Ren and Stimpy. Friends 'til the end.

Yeah, they're spoiled and are allowed on the couch.

FB_IMG_1501880949215 (1).jpg

I won't rush because with no dog wifey and I can take a few trips .
But ALL my dogs come from situations where they're going to be dead very soon if I don't take them.
That includes Zuma who was gonna be put down the next week.

It makes it a tiny bit easier because we know she would have had no life at all and, instead, had as good a life as a dog's gonna get.
Still hard though.

When I put my dog to sleep, I stayed with him until the end. He had a tumor on his brain and he would have really bad seizures. He would come out of it so confused, hard stuff.

When I took him in to the vet, I was crying like a girl, (I didn't even cry at my brothers passing and I was with him until the end), but I stayed with the old dog. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

When it was done, carried him home, buried him in the back yard with his favorite blanket. I never knew I could cry like that. I think these animals get into our feelings like nothing else.

Back