I saw a drone

Greg_L

Banned
Last weekend I was unloading my truck for a gig and a drone flew overhead. No big deal, drones are everywhere. But I believe this one was some kind of commercial drone. I heard it before I saw it, it had blinking red/green aircraft lights on it, and it was pretty big. It sounded like a weed-whacker, but there were no yards around. No one's cutting grass in this neighborhood. This was an urban setting. I also don't think it was a private toy drone because it flew a very slow but very straight flight path over a long distance, and again, it was pretty big. It went perfectly straight and maintained it's altitude from when I first could see it to as far as I could see it. I don't know of any toy drones or drone pilots that could pull that off over that kind of distance. I think this thing was GPS controlled or had a pre-programmed flight path maybe? Maybe it was an Amazon small shipping drone or something. And it was just high enough to clear rooftops of the area. I probably could have thrown a rock at it and hit it if I got lucky. It was high enough to clear trees and houses, but not out of the reach of a good rock throw. It just buzzed right over me and off it went.

And no, I don't think it's any big brother spy conspiracy chemtrail shit, so save that nonsense for your paranoid loser nutcase internet blogs and forums. I just thought it was interesting. I'd never seen that before. :rolleyes:

You saw a drone. But did it see you? Can I have your guitar if it gets you?

No, but you can have a warm glass of shut the fuck up.

I don't know if this drone was "seeing "anything. It seemed to be on a mission, but surveillance did not seem to be it.

They scout for pirated recording software. Its a fact. Even the conspiracy buffs dont know about it yet.

The only drone I've encountered was while surf fishing. Just hovering and meandering overhead. The tide and current were strong so I had a 5 oz. pyramid sinker on my rig. I had some bad thoughts while casting. Ooops!

The only drone I've encountered was while surf fishing. Just hovering and meandering overhead. The tide and current were strong so I had a 5 oz. pyramid sinker on my rig. I had some bad thoughts while casting. Ooops!

5 oz pyramid in strong current? Pffft. Noob.

Drones are used a lot to sell real estate these days.

A mate of mine bought an octocopter some years back with the idea of making a commercial venture of it.

This was in the early days of drones, and they were not too sophisticated: hard to fly, hard to land, and difficult to set up. In the end, it was more trouble than it was worth, and he was terrified of breaking it, so he gave up.

But the technology has improved exponentially. The latest piece of amazement is Lily:

Gerg, at some point it seems like a small drone would be a useful fishing tool for locating big fish or bait schools offshore.

Gerg, at some point it seems like a small drone would be a useful fishing tool for locating big fish or bait schools offshore.

Yup, could be. That's a good idea. And if one can drop bombs, it can certainly drop a bait. That would be awesome.

There really already are drones that locate bait fish - birds. Birds will always show you where the bait fish are. And where there is bait, there is bigger fish.

There really already are drones that locate bait fish - birds. Birds will always show you where the bait fish are. And where there is bait, there is bigger fish.

You're right, I forgot that fishermen have been doing this for thousands of years already and have kind of worked out the kinks.

Yup, when I see birds dive-bombing the water, that's where I'm throwing my bait. I've even hooked into a few pelicans and seagulls. Seagulls are no big deal, but pelicans get pretty mean, and they're big.

Back