How many GB of data can you download monthly on your internet connection?

I remember when dial up was 2400 bps. That would be .0024Mb. Then it jumped to 9600bps and THAT WAS AWESOME. :eek:

I'll go even one further and remember when C-Net (not the download people, but Commodore Net) was 300 bps and the people who went 1200 started denying acess to the 300 bauders...

We're at 55 up/10 down and that's plenty for three people (wife and two grandkids) to watch different things on Netflix or Roku at the same time while I surf and upload/download songs, YouTube, etc.

How far from the exchange? Some years ago when with BT, after a LOT of hassle with them I got a good engineer out who pronounced my "end" (shut up Jones minor!) ok and went off to the xchng. One hour later my speed jumped fro 3.5ish to over 6! Give 'em hell.

And it does seem odd that your download speed is ~30% better than mine but up is about 50% slower?

And! What do you chaps DO with these blinding speeds?

Dave.

I've had engineers out a couple of times. The last one said we're about 3 miles from the exchange/cabinet, so the copper last leg is pretty long. If we weren't on Infinity, he reckoned it would be more like 4 down.

Don't start me...

My current plan is 10GB per month via wireless hotspot - the only 4G spectrum option currently available to me where I live....

Where do I live? About 5km as the crow flies from the CBD of the largest city in Australia. I can see it from my balcony. Yup. Local infrastructure doesn't support any more ADSL connections and even if I could get one (by waiting) the wiring to my apartment doesn't support it either...

Goddamn stupid previous government negotiations with the ex-monopoly-govt telco Telstra that relieved them of the need to upgrade the existing network, ever, and compounding this, their arse-about rollout plan for the new national network (we have to give high speed broadband to the sheep farmers first, apparently...).

Fuck, fuck, fuckity fuck....:cursing:

I'm hoping when this contract runs out, something better will be available, but it's not looking promising..

re:How many Google Bites of data..

Xfinity, which is more than Infinity, I think. That's what it says on the bill every month.

I don't know for sure because my hard drive is full.

Plus I think it has teh NK Ebolas virus or maybe a head cold.

"What would I do with blinding speeds, Dave? Download software in less than an hour or two, upload my videos to Youtube in less than six hours, that sort of thing. We currently have six internet connected devices in this house so the connection gets overloaded rather easily."

Yes Bobbs' but will they letcha? I have just dldd a 50MB manual from Zoom (top firm? Super servers?) but even tho' I have a pedestrian 8MB dld speed it did not come at me faster than 464kBps. I would have expected sources to keep up with punters download capabilities but it seems they don't?

Mind you, I am just an old, Meds ridden Bottle Jockey WTFDIK!

Dave.

Obviously server providers and ISPs have to keep pace with the speeds they off--and as the local connection gets faster they have to as well.

However, I'd love to be in a situation where the limiting factor was the speed of the server or my ISP's trunks to the rest of the world. Right now, the problem is the last 2km of copper wire for me.

Obviously server providers and ISPs have to keep pace with the speeds they off--and as the local connection gets faster they have to as well.

However, I'd love to be in a situation where the limiting factor was the speed of the server or my ISP's trunks to the rest of the world. Right now, the problem is the last 2km of copper wire for me.
Just playing Capitalist Devil's Advocate, how many people are in the same boat locally, the thought being to UNIONIZE as cable customers? Either do it yourself and provide an easy inlet for existing providers or farm it out to them or a competitor. Not everyone needs 24/7/365 Gb bandwidth.

I don't know about the USA but, down here, I couldn't get access to the ducts or permission to dig up roads etc. to lay fibre. (This is me pretending I could fund it at all). The existing phone companies have a statutory right to do things like this and they jealously guard their exclusivity. I know a similar situation prevails in the UK.

On your second point, I don't know anybody who need GB bandwidth but, in this day and age, most people need better than the 4 Mbps I currently get. Note that I'm talking bits, not bytes. More and more of our daily life now happens via the internet--conventional delivery mechanisms for TV and phone are shutting down with a web connection the way it's going to be. On top of that, as I mentioned before, our household of 3 people has six internet connections sharing that 4Mbps.

The plan in Australia is called "The National Broadband Network" and, as originally conceived, was going to provide a fibre, satellite or fixed wireless connection to every user in the country. Part of the reason this made sense is that due to all sorts of historic issues with the monopoly telephone company, they ceased doing any maintenance or upgrades to their copper structure, causing big problems now that we try to do more than just make phone calls (and even problems with phone calls sometimes!). As premises are connected to the NBN, ordinary access is to be ceased--even if you only use a phone and no internet you'd still have a fibre connection and do your phone calls via VoiP (with a box making this transparent to the user).

Our current government has muddied the issue greatly by deciding to try to use FTTN rather than FTTP. This means fibre to a local node and the use of existing copper for the actual home connection. FTTN has been tried in the UK and New Zealand and both countries are phasing it out to use FTTP instead. I'm lucky in that I'm likely going to be one of the last neighbourhoods to get FTTP since we were planned before our current political idiots started doing Rupert Murdoch's bidding (Murdoch being the owner of the monopoly cable TV provider in Australia).

On final point is that, while we argue about whether 2 or 4 or 8 Mbps is enough, places like Hong Kong and South Korea already have connection in the hundreds of Mbps and are even now planning upgrades. Unless Australia and the USA and the UK can match this, it will be US who are the"third world" a few decades from now as more and more of our lives move to online.

"The existing phone companies have a statutory right to do things like this and they jealously guard their exclusivity. I know a similar situation prevails in the UK."
Not ^ so's you would notice Bob. It seems everybody and his uncle cab dig up any road or pavement anytime the mood takes them. The state of our roads after 10 years of neglect and abuse and some harsh (by our lights) winters, is a national disgrace. Funny thing about "ducts"!......

When I was being hissed about by BT. V slow int'nt, NO int'nt. Never better than 4and bit meg...I was told it was the "bombs in the road" ? Big ass junction boxes buried deeply and a major exercise to fix. Odd then that after my switch to TTlk I got 8M and that has been totally stable for 2 years!

Dave.

I once had the list of companies that could dig up UK roads without permission and there were quite a few, including Water, Gas, Sewage and Electric companies, loal authority road builders, etc. etc.--but the two telecoms ones that could dig were limited to BT and Mercury. (I don't know if this is still the same--I've been out of the UK for eight years or so.) The bigger problem was that there was no onus on any of them to coordinate their efforts so the county might put right a road one week then BT would come along and dig it up the next. In my TV days we once lost all of our fibre video links to the BT switching centre when a contractor working for the local authority put a JCB through them installing new traffic lights.

"The existing phone companies have a statutory right to do things like this and they jealously guard their exclusivity. I know a similar situation prevails in the UK."
Not ^ so's you would notice Bob. It seems everybody and his uncle cab dig up any road or pavement anytime the mood takes them. The state of our roads after 10 years of neglect and abuse and some harsh (by our lights) winters, is a national disgrace. Funny thing about "ducts"!......

When I was being hissed about by BT. V slow int'nt, NO int'nt. Never better than 4and bit meg...I was told it was the "bombs in the road" ? Big ass junction boxes buried deeply and a major exercise to fix. Odd then that after my switch to TTlk I got 8M and that has been totally stable for 2 years!

Dave.

lol Dave, it's not bombs, just BT have the slowest and worst internet in the whole UK

Back